LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The oldies want somewhere with shops. I want a beach so reckon Marseille might fit us all but I cant see any campsites within easy walking distance to the city.
Can anyone guide me to where we can park, even if it is wild camping or suggest somewher around that area that has plenty shops and a beach. We are just sth of Lyon at the moment.
Thx

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
TBH you'd better stay outside of Marseilles and take a bus to get there! It'll cost you very little money and you'll have a chance to find your motorhome when you come back, unless you find a real good camp site there.
In any case do not park on a parking place , Marseilles is a very nice place BUT only if you have nothing to loose.
Bags with you all the time....not on the table while you're having a drink outside a bar!
I'll try to join family who lives there to ask about the right place for you to go.
Happy travels!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Avoid Marseilles at all costs.
The place might be OK.
But your chances of being robed must be 100 times the national average.
It is from nearly thirty years ago that I was there & would never never return.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
agree with all above . i would go further along the coast to sete there are aires and campsites along the beach front and a bus service that takes you right into the shopping center in sete itself

teresa

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Marseilles is brilliant and very well worth a visit. Google it...There is so much to see and it is bright, clean and fascinating. V. good local bus service to the beaches, viewpoints, new museums, shops, ports etc. Don't miss it !

We stay at a lovely family run site at Aix en Provence called Arc en Ciel. From Aix there are excellent air conditioned coaches, running every 5 ( yes, 5) minutes to Marseilles. It's a lovely journey too and takes about 30 minutes .

Aix is lovely too.

( Edit to add: you'll need to take out a second mortgage to shop however...v.smart expensive shopping centres and all big name shops !)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
@irnbru Ok ... Family can't help .... they never use campsites around there which sounds obvious, why should they bother having a house there lol!
In any case I found 2 camp sites and the first one seems to be the right one for you. I called them both so here a few things you should know about each:

1)Les Cigales

http://campingcassis.com/

This one is far enough from Marseilles and in the most beautiful part of the area: Les Calanques
You have a 15 minutes walk to the beach or to the Calanques .
Bus is in front of the campsite : 3 in the morning and the last one from Marseilles leaves Marseilles at 7.30pm
You don't need to book , just call in , they have room
If you have more questions I can make another call!

2)Marius

http://www.camping-marius.com/

Right , this one is top for being feet in the water as we say in French, but no bus service next to the campsite. You have to go to the centre of Martigues then you have a bus to Marseilles but it's a good half an hour trip. Train also available there.
A small shop for emergencies so probably milk bread may be wine ..... I can ask for more details.
A restaurant on site.
Motorhomes longer than 6,5metres are NOT accepted
If you want both pleasures ... you could do both campsites really ...I would lol!
Whoops forgot to ask if you need to book....!:oops:

I can have a look at others if you want me to

Amicalement

Frankie:):cool:

Last edited:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Not Marseilles but not far away and, a walk along the beach to shops at Le Lavendou is, Camping Du Domaine BP 207 La Faviere F83230 Bormes les Mimosas. We were there for a few days in June and booked a pitch on the beach for a week from 19th of September.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thx for your replies folks.

@yodeli please can you ask how much it is per night. We have 2 MHs so maybe they would do a deal like Dijon did and put us both on one plot.
Thanks

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You want both campsites prices?
Sorry just the first one. MH is too large for 2nd one. I'm just grabbing free wifi when I can so replies are slow.

We are definitely staying away from Marseille now thanks to the comments from FUN.[/QUOTE]

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry just the first one. MH is too large for 2nd one. I'm just grabbing free wifi when I can so replies are slow.

We are definitely staying away from Marseille now thanks to the comments from FUN.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I was robbed there last year....... most expensive client visit ever. :(

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We had our bikes stolen at Carnon Plage, not far from Marseille. Our neighbours bikes were also stolen. We won't be visiting that area again. The police said their is a lot of crime down there.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Sorry for being late .... Been a busy be with English lessons and cooking lessons and Stadium

So here are the info you wanted
As this campsite doesn't do booking they can't promise the only "2 vans pitch" will be available
If it is of course you'll be welcome to use at this price

37,70 euros all taxes included (2 vans and four people)/ night, so 18,85 euros/night per van
If unfortunately this pitch is not available then you'll have to have a one van pitch, which will cost you 21,50 euros all taxes included for one van and 2 people. this is without electric.

If you need anything else , let me know ... They are charming people indeed, and I explained that if they were always that charming they will have lots of Funsters coming!;)(y):cool:

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Parked up in Marseilles around 30 years ago in our Mitso camper, got out and started to walk away when a French guy comes up and tells us not to leave it, he says it will be stolen and on the way to North Africa within 24 hours, needless to say we got back in and buggered off. As we drove through on the way out we had to stop at a junction, as some police ran in front with their guns drawn chasing someone. Never been back and not likely too.

Ian

Last edited:
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for the comments and your help @yodeli but we have decided tge comments are enough to put us off. We will look nearer St Tropez instead

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We drove on and wild camped at a beach near Menton, woke up late and pulled the curtains back and.............................................................

Lots of ladies in very, very little sunbathing within feet of us, after putting my eyes back in the wife suggested we drive elsewhere, spoilsport.:D
Memories.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back