LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Lets have your best ideas for wasp traps, either homemade or shop bought.

We are being plagued by the damn things this year and my homemade wasp trap of a plastic bottle and sugar water does not seem to be attracting them.
image.jpg

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We haven't seen any here(or just a few anyway) this year or last.

Jam and water seems to entice them though

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Lets have your best ideas for wasp traps, either homemade or shop bought.

We are being plagued by the damn things this year and my homemade wasp trap of a plastic bottle and sugar water does not seem to be attracting them.
View attachment 75186
Have you been parked in the same place for long because it sounds like a nest close by , as there hasn't been many about in general this year

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We tried sugar water and it worked fine until we placed the jar on one of those cheap plastic camping tables like the one in your picture and all I can think is the STINK of cheap plastic overpowers the sweet smell.......

.............I'm thinking of suing the supplier......:whistle2:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We did a survey a couple of weeks ago.

In a pop bottle trap like yours:
Ginger beer - 0 wasps
Hobgoblin beer - 0 wasps
Cheap lager - hundreds..well, quite a few wasps.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We did a scientific test on the best wasp trap bait. The winner contains
1 table spoon of sugar
1 table spoon of red wine vinegar
Top up with water

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
The locals here reccomend putting beer and fruit in a plastic bottle filled to about a quarter full and hang it in a tree or just leave it on the floor.
We have done this over the past few years and over the summer in just one plastic lemonade bottle we get a crust of around 3" thick of dead wasps and flies.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We tried sugar water and it worked fine until we placed the jar on one of those cheap plastic camping tables like the one in your picture and all I can think is the STINK of cheap plastic overpowers the sweet smell.......

.............I'm thinking of suing the supplier......:whistle2:
See you in court Pops.....how dare you dis my tables! :boxing:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We did a survey a couple of weeks ago.

In a pop bottle trap like yours:
Ginger beer - 0 wasps
Hobgoblin beer - 0 wasps
Cheap lager - hundreds..well, quite a few wasps.
Oh we have copious amounts of cheep larger, will change the contents immediately. Thanks Janine

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Find the nest and return at night with white wasp powder and an evil expression.

Height is no object - I once ran a plastic hose up a 10 foot extension pole with a funnel full of white wasp powder at the top end of the hose, manouevered it next to the nest entrance in the house fascia board then blew into the bottom of the hose for all I was worth. Two days later, no more wasps.

Only problem is they're pollinators and there's precious few bees around.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
My good lady is frightened of wasps so at a show I bought a "Waspinator"its a pretend wasps nest and wasps will not go near it something in their DNA tells them not to approach if its not their nest it has worked well ,basically its a bag with a balloon in it and you hang it where you are sitting we haven't been bothered since buying it.Its a more insect friendly thing;)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
My good lady is frightened of wasps so at a show I bought a "Waspinator"its a pretend wasps nest and wasps will not go near it something in their DNA tells them not to approach if its not their nest it has worked well ,basically its a bag with a balloon in it and you hang it where you are sitting we haven't been bothered since buying it.Its a more insect friendly thing;)
Could a lady wear it as a hat ?

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
We had more wasps over in France this summer than ever before - and loads of hornets too.
We use the same home-made jobs as you but we came to two conclusions.
Firstly our wasps were alcoholic. If you sat with a cup of coffee there was barely a visit but lager or wine and within seconds they were there. Hence we changed the ingredients in the traps to a good splash of something sweet and boozey like Creme de Cassis. That attracted their attention.
But secondly, we had four traps around the eating area and the ones on bright surface got not a visitor but the two on a dark wooden table got the lot.
However, I am now the absolute champion at fly and wasp removal. Before going to France I got one of those electric tennis bat things as I absolutely hate flies of any size. After a day of practice with technique it was to prove the best flykiller ever. Bodies all over the place.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
One of the best jobs I had in a previous life was in Robertsons Jam factory in Bristol(long gone now a supermarket) We'd get a bounty for trapping them before they'd make their nest.This was to stop them getting trapped in large barrels of Fruit,oranges in particular.The empty barrels still attracted them.When we were camping earlier this year we used orange squash successfully.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Where can I get the electric fly killing bat please?

Clive

sitting in the sun, drinking beer and enjoying the posts, blue electric exterminator on in caravan (will be motor home next year) citroen candle burning and thinking about a bit bonne maman in a jar with water, no problems with wasps as such but the bl**dy mozzies must think I am McDonalds.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Where can I get the electric fly killing bat please?

Clive

sitting in the sun, drinking beer and enjoying the posts, blue electric exterminator on in caravan (will be motor home next year) citroen candle burning and thinking about a bit bonne maman in a jar with water, no problems with wasps as such but the bl**dy mozzies must think I am McDonalds.

Can't do a link but get the one called The Executioner from ebay, if they used them at Wimbledon, it would make it worth watching :LOL:

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
We went to an outdoor cafe in Bourton on the Water recently and they had jam in tubs around the outside seating which seemed to be attracting lots of wasps into them......better than wasting good alcohol!

Can't remember whether they had covers on and didn't inspect them to see whether the wasps were getting stuck and trapped in the jam....but there were loads of wasps around them and very few around the tables.

I've been repeatedly dive bombed at work today by a humongous fly. It mysteriously disappeared everytime I got the fly spray out so I shall be purchasing a 'lethal tennis raquet' and hoping the b*****d is still buzzing around me on Monday!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Apple juice and a bit of apple and sum yeast works well any yeast will do fermentation attracts them (y)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I got mine from a Poundshop but a few weeks ago my son got one from Aldi.
Here's one on Amazon for £3.10 inc delivery:
Amazon product ASIN B000S8H08E
Oh bless my lovely wife ..... we bought one just like that last year .... used it for ages and THEN .......... one night ....... for NO reason ..... she decided to test it to see it it still worked and whilst pressing the button with the finger on her left hand ............... with her middle digit of her right hand extended ........ she slowly ....... TOUCHED THE BLOODY THING ................................... AND SCREAMED ...................... I don't know how I didn't piss my pants there and then ................... god I LOVE my wife

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I trapped one last weekend, bugger went up the leg of my jeans and stung me 3 times on my right knee, missus said pity it didn't go up a bit further, I agreed with her but i did say I wouldn't mind the swelling as long as the pain went away.;)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
[QUOTE="Janine, post: 1546289, member: Cheap lager - hundreds..well, quite a few wasps.[/QUOTE]
Probably having one taste of that and then committing suicide. :)

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Cut a big plastic cola bottle 1/3 down from top, invert it neck down into the bottom 2/3 of the bottle; put what ever bait mixture you fancy, and hang it about 30 mts away in the direction they seem to be coming from(y)

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I trapped one last weekend, bugger went up the leg of my jeans and stung me 3 times on my right knee, missus said pity it didn't go up a bit further, I agreed with her but i did say I wouldn't mind the swelling as long as the pain went away.;)

A fast way to take the pain out of a sting, especially for children is to puff on a cigarette until it glows and pass it just above the painful sting area, it gives instant and permanent relief :cool: Something good to be said about smoking:smoke:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back