Morning! Newbie here :) Problems registering vehicle in UK... Damn certificate of conformity! (1 Viewer)

Emma

Free Member
Sep 9, 2015
Horsham
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI
Exp
Newbie!
Good Morning Fellow Motor home Friends,

I am new to the forum and new to owning a motor home... exciting times, I am having problems with registering my motor home here in the UK after purchasing in the Isle of Man, I need to get a certificate of conformity, I was hoping to do so without paying a small fortune.
Does anyone have one or know where I can find one please? Are they obtainable online? I am assuming they are make and model dependent rather than chassis number?

Model is Knaus SUN TI

Please help, I would like to enjoy it before summer is up!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
1... Try the motorhome /van manufacturers direct ...
2. Do a web search, there are places that sell them. So a cost involved. Think that may be more for car than motorhomes..

New or old van ??? New should come with it..

http://www.knaus.de/en/home.html

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Hi Coming from the Isle of Mann I would have thought you would not need a certificate. However if you do contact Knaus ( best by phone) and they will send you one. Your van should be compliant with UK spec anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
How old is the van? Because if I understand correctly, newer vehicles should automatically come with a certificate of conformity.
It should be stated somewhere on the log book.
I know that it is the case with cars and motorbikes.
I think it's vehicles registered after 2002

OP
OP
E

Emma

Free Member
Sep 9, 2015
Horsham
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks All,

I have been advised by DVLA that if registered after 2008 then type approval will show on the reg documents, however mine was first registered in 2007! Typical. The only issue they need to ensure of is that the speedometer is in MPH which it is, however it has to be proven either by the certificate or by an individual from VOSA visiting. I have tried to contact Knaus by email they are in Germany so cant really call. I have spoken to Renault as this is the chassis used, however they will charge £100 for the certificate.

:(

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
£100 for the certificate

Yep ...had the same problem here in France with German Fiat Ducato chassis and Hymer habitation and was asked 150euros from Hymer France(I had paid already 50 euros in Germany ...but ...of course certificate was in German) and 60 euros from Fiat France...to then hear from our DVLA which is here DREAL or DRIRE that they were considering my van as a self conversion so no need of any of the certificates I had bought Grrrrrrr! I had to convert the whole van into a French one Yeah right ! But then ...THIS all happened in France... so well known but its b****y red tape! You are in a civilised country with its own rules . I bet it'll be dead easy!

Reactions: kcy
OP
OP
E

Emma

Free Member
Sep 9, 2015
Horsham
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI
Exp
Newbie!
Sounds like a nightmare.... there are several forms to fill in, fees to pay, which is fine, I have no issue with this. It will be easy once I can get my hands on this blasted certificate!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks All,

I have been advised by DVLA that if registered after 2008 then type approval will show on the reg documents, however mine was first registered in 2007! Typical. The only issue they need to ensure of is that the speedometer is in MPH which it is, however it has to be proven either by the certificate or by an individual from VOSA visiting. I have tried to contact Knaus by email they are in Germany so cant really call. I have spoken to Renault as this is the chassis used, however they will charge £100 for the certificate.

Could you make an appointment at a VOSA site, and take it to them. Might cost more, but it sounds like less hassle.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks All,

wasting your time emailing...call them!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I guess we will never now if Emma made that phone call..come on girl! join up its only a tenner:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back