Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Just tried to switch fridge/freezer on on it will not ignite. It's connected to mains,the gas bottle is full. When I switch on the igniter is working or at least clicking and the green light does not turn to red. I've checked the gas burner at the base and its not sooty or blocked. Just not chilling down.
Do any of you clever guys out there have any ideas please.
Good fridge engineers out here( Alicante ) are like hens teeth.
Appreciate any help ideas please:ta::ta:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I had bother with my Dometic fridge freezer. It sounds like you may have the same trouble as me. The fridge freezer only works if the van is level within 3 degrees. I levelled mine, it all works fine. All I had to do was turn the van round on the drive.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is there actually a flame there, sometimes there is a sight glass in the bottom of the fridge to see the flame and there should be heat coming out of the top vent.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Mililibobs,

Ours is the same model, and the only ways I can tell if the gas is coming through, is to listen to the burner from the bottom vent outside, and feel the heat from the top vent with the back of your hand. Unfortunately, there isn't a flame view glass in the bottom of these models.

There is a good chance that the thermo couple (flame failure safety device) may have failed, thereby not allowing the gas to come though to the burner. They are serviceable items. Spares for these models are slowly becoming obsolete, according to Dometic, when I tried to order servicing spares. When I got in touch with www.leisureshopdirect.com to enquire about the same spares, their response was "How many would you like Sir?"

Good luck with it,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Millibobs

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Mililibobs,

Ours is the same model, and the only ways I can tell if the gas is coming through, is to listen to the burner from the bottom vent outside, and feel the heat from the top vent with the back of your hand. Unfortunately, there isn't a flame view glass in the bottom of these models.

There is a good chance that the thermo couple (flame failure safety device) may have failed, thereby not allowing the gas to come though to the burner. They are serviceable items. Spares for these models are slowly becoming obsolete, according to Dometic, when I tried to order servicing spares. When I got in touch with www.leisureshopdirect.com to enquire about the same spares, their response was "How many would you like Sir?"

Good luck with it,

That is sounding more like it. I wll try to see today if there is a flame. It was a little windy yesterday and very bright so couldn't see much. Many thanks to you for your advise

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
That is sounding more like it. I wll try to see today if there is a flame. It was a little windy yesterday and very bright so couldn't see much. Many thanks to you for your advise
You may have to remove the bottom vent cover. The burner, igniter and flame are housed behind a metal shroud at the base of the flue. If it is working, you'll know straight away by the sound and heat given off, but you won't see the flame without removing the shroud (2 x cross head screws). Expect to find a lot of dirt and dust in there, if it hasn't been serviced for a while. The metal flue tends to rust up, sometimes causing debris to fall off and block off the burner.

If the green light is constant on the control panel, that indicates that all is well, whereas amber, red, or flashing red, indicates otherwise.

Cheers,

OP
OP
Millibobs

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
You may have to remove the bottom vent cover. The burner, igniter and flame are housed behind a metal shroud at the base of the flue. If it is working, you'll know straight away by the sound and heat given off, but you won't see the flame without removing the shroud (2 x cross head screws). Expect to find a lot of dirt and dust in there, if it hasn't been serviced for a while. The metal flue tends to rust up, sometimes causing debris to fall off and block off the burner.

If the green light is constant on the control panel, that indicates that all is well, whereas amber, red, or flashing red, indicates otherwise.

Cheers,

Hola Jock
I've had the base cover off and and the gas is def on. I can see/hear it and its hot. will wait to see if the fridge chills down. with the mains connected its should start on that I think but it isn't. i've sent an email to leisureshop explaining so will wait to hear from them. they certainly seem to have a good stock of spares for the RM6505, many thanks for the advice and link to shop
regards David Taylor (millibobs)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hola Jock
I've had the base cover off and and the gas is def on. I can see/hear it and its hot. will wait to see if the fridge chills down. with the mains connected its should start on that I think but it isn't. i've sent an email to leisureshop explaining so will wait to hear from them. they certainly seem to have a good stock of spares for the RM6505, many thanks for the advice and link to shop
regards David Taylor (millibobs)
No problems David. I am pleased to help...................where I can. :)

Cooling on gas is the quickest way to bring down the temperature, however, as soon as you plug in the EHU, you should hear the click as the AES control panel senses the supply. When you start the engine, it should change over automatically too. The 12v operation only maintains a temperature, and is not best used to bring down the temperature.
With the gas on, plug in the EHU lead, (live) whilst someone listens for the relay to click. If no click, that's an indication of your problem, (a blown fuse maybe, or something more involved). When unplugging, you should hear the relay click again, then the igniter clicking 2-3 times, with the gas igniting immediately.

If your fridge/freezer isn't cooling even when on gas, that is obviously more involved, and will possibly need expert intervention.

BTW, when was it last serviced? ;)

Cheers,

OP
OP
Millibobs

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
problems David. I am pleased to help...................where I can. :)

Cooling on gas is the quickest way to bring down the temperature, however, as sosomethou plug in the EHU, you should hear the click as the AES control panel senses the supply. When you start the engine, it should change over automatically too. The 12v operation only maintains a temperature, and is not best used to bring down the temperature.
With the gas on, plug in the EHU lead, (live) whilst someone listens for the relay to click. If no click, that's an indication of your problem, (a blown fuse maybe, or something more involved). When unplugging, you should hear the relay click again, then the igniter clicking 2-3 times, with the gas igniting immediately.

If your fridge/freezer isn't cooling even when on gas, that is obviously more involved, and will possibly need expert intervention.

BTW, when was it last serviced? ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)[/QUOTE]
Hi Jock just turned off the gas and will try again tomorrow. the freezer did start to freeze on the back panel but wasnt sure about the fridge. Think some thing wrong with mains

OP
OP
Millibobs

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Hola to all the guys who tried to help me with my Domestic fridge problem.
Just got back from Domestic agent who has fitted a new electronic board and all seems to be working ok.
Nearly 500 Euros with part,vat and labour.
He showed me the burn mark on the old board that was burnt out on the mains side.
You don't realise how much we rely on our fridge/freezers when travelling around.
An insulated box used to be OK when tenting many years ago but not now. Need my beer cold to start with !!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hola to all the guys who tried to help me with my Domestic fridge problem.
Just got back from Domestic agent who has fitted a new electronic board and all seems to be working ok.
Nearly 500 Euros with part,vat and labour.
He showed me the burn mark on the old board that was burnt out on the mains side.
You don't realise how much we rely on our fridge/freezers when travelling around.
An insulated box used to be OK when tenting many years ago but not now. Need my beer cold to start with !!!
Glad to see that you are sorted Millibobs (y) despite the hefty repair bill. :(

Cheers,

Jock.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back