Getting passed Paris (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
When in France I usually avoid driving anywhere near Paris but as we have to get from Zeebrugge to Blois it looks like we will have to. All of the sat navs we have tried, route us on the Boulevard Périphérique through Paris, how bad it this road and what other suggestions are they. A few years back we did try the A68 past Paris but this was very busy and took an age anyway. Note, it will be about midday on a Sunday.

Ralph

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
We have done the Boulevard Périphérique many times. No problem at all, okay it can be busy.
As long as you drive at a reasonable speed on your "own" lane there is no problem.

The most imporant thing is to know well ahead were you have to leave it.

Have a nice time

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
We have done the Boulevard Périphérique many times. No problem at all, okay it can be busy.
As long as you drive at a reasonable speed on your "own" lane there is no problem.

The most imporant thing is to know well ahead were you have to leave it.

Have a nice time

Ralph

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Ralph... are you constrained by time?

just stuck the start/end into Googlemaps and specified avoid tolls...... I like the drag to change facility :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Ralph... are you constrained by time?

just stuck the start/end into Googlemaps and specified avoid tolls...... I like the drag to change facility :winky:

not really constrained but we do not need to be hanging about

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We will be travelling towards Blois at the end of the month but will go via Rouen and then the N154 to Orleans and so avoiding Paris altogether.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

no worse than M25; avoid at normal congestion times and watch both lanes; inside and out.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
We will be travelling towards Blois at the end of the month but will go via Rouen and then the N154 to Orleans and so avoiding Paris altogether.

We did consider that but it is at least another 60 miles and about an hour and a half.

Ralph

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I've been on this road several time and as long as you know your exit no and keep on an eye out several exits before yours this will give you ample time to get in the correct lane. So you should be fine.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Ralph, the Périphérique is OK, the main problem you'll encounter if at all, at busy times, are the lane changes, there are exits right and left and it can be a bit confusing. If you do need to change lanes, do it as soon as you can and don't be intimidated by those Parisiens why will do all they can to keep you in a lane that your desperate to get out of. Especially if you are indicating your intention. ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I like Paris but I do not want to drive there if at all possible. ::bigsmile:
Ralph

Did it last year Sunday, did it this year Thursday, both afternoon - let GPS take us round - and just like another comment - M25. Bit of patience needed.

This year I'd thought of a big wide sweep round but couldn't be bothered to take the risk it could have been longer in time.

It is good sport but having something BIG and white gives you some leverage, push them :)

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Last time we took the longer way round Paris (on the A3 and A86/A4) we got stuck in traffic for over two hours and I vowed never to drive near Paris again, so I am worried that the inner ring road is worse.

Ralph

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Last time we took the longer way round Paris (on the A3 and A86/A4) we got stuck in traffic for over two hours and I vowed never to drive near Paris again, so I am worried that the inner ring road is worse.

Ralph

Hi Ralph!

You said you should be there on Sunday midday so i don't think you'll get stuck. Most of the Parisiens should still be on week end and usually they don't come back before 6.00pm:thumb:(6.00pm being the worst time to drive on a sunday!).Moreover there's no school holidays (beginning or ending) So don't worry too much, you should be able to manage!:winky:::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so I am worried that the inner ring road is worse.
Ralph

It's all in the hands of the gods.

On the Friday, day after Paris, and delays into Dover due to high winds I realised leaving Dover for Oop North at 15:30 was a_bad_thing, but plodded on.

In 25 years of doing that run it was the best ever. Our speed hardy dropped 'till the toll booths and we kept going, flying up the M11.

Obviously I sacrificed the right chicken that day.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Just to let everyone know, I will go back to my original plan of not going anywhere near Paris, it takes too long, I like to drive not sit in traffic.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Ralph-Dot go for the Rouen..Orleans option thats what we usually do never seem to have any probs give it a try

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi,

im assuming here so excuse me if im wrong:Doh:

you will be getting the P+O northsea ferry from hull to zeebrugge?

(you may have personal reasons to sail from hull!!!)

a couple of hours from billingham to hull,

then a 12hour crossing,

at least £400 return.

you should do billingham to dover in around 10hrs,

1hr crossing to france.

around £100 return?.

you just saved at least £300 which more than covers the extra diesel to/from dover and 3 hrs jouney time each way.

£300+ to kip in a tin cabin for two nights is taking the p*ss.

thats why we drive to dover.:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Ralph-Dot go for the Rouen..Orleans option thats what we usually do never seem to have any probs give it a try

We did know that way but we were trying to save fuel, all the rest of the family went home that way, all vowing "Paris, never again"

Ralph

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
hi,

im assuming here so excuse me if im wrong:Doh:

you will be getting the P+O northsea ferry from hull to zeebrugge?

(you may have personal reasons to sail from hull!!!)

a couple of hours from billingham to hull,

then a 12hour crossing,

at least £400 return.

you should do billingham to dover in around 10hrs,

1hr crossing to france.

around £100 return?.

you just saved at least £300 which more than covers the extra diesel to/from dover and 3 hrs jouney time each way.

£300+ to kip in a tin cabin for two nights is taking the p*ss.

thats why we drive to dover.:thumb:

We have not paid full price for the Hull crossing for the last three years, two years free with Tesco Vouchers (no longer available) and this year for £200 with Siblu and used their sites for free with Tesco Vouchers. Also the trip through France is only 10 mile more from Zeebrugge than from Calais

And as many do when arriving in France after driving all day. we do not have to find somewhere to sleep

Ralph

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have not paid full price for the Hull crossing for the last three years, two years free with Tesco Vouchers (no longer available) and this year for £200 with Siblu and used their sites for free with Tesco Vouchers. Also the trip through France is only 10 mile more from Zeebrugge than from Calais

And as many do when arriving in France after driving all day. we do not have to find somewhere to sleep

Ralph

well i guess dover/calais cant come close to that deal.:thumb:

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
The Peripherique

Ralph

Whichever route you choose, the Peri... is to be avoided at all costs, especially in an MH. It's bad enough in a fast car, it really is a very dangerous race track! The only possibility is the middle of the night I would think. We did a little bit of it with the caravan 20 years ago - terrifying! The best thing is to hook up bits of the motorways with atlas beforehand and find a very patient navigator.

Good luck, acdcdave.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Ralph

Whichever route you choose, the Peri... is to be avoided at all costs, especially in an MH. It's bad enough in a fast car, it really is a very dangerous race track! The only possibility is the middle of the night I would think. We did a little bit of it with the caravan 20 years ago - terrifying! The best thing is to hook up bits of the motorways with atlas beforehand and find a very patient navigator.

Good luck, acdcdave.

Too late we are back now

Ralph

T

Tony Stark

Deleted User
Hi we have been that way many times with no real problems(and thats with my dad following in this motorhome as well!).If you do want to avoid the area why not put a way point in your sat nav to take you away from the area.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back