North Yorkshire Ban Confirmed (1 Viewer)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The decision, in respect of the proposed prohibition of overnight (11pm to 7am) parking of motor caravans, various streets in the Borough of Scarborough, was taken by David Bowe, Corporate Director - Business and Environmental Services in consultation with Executive Members, County Councillors Chris Metcalfe and Don Mackenzie on 6 August 2015.
There has been no call-in lodged.
The decision(s) will therefore be implemented.

The following executive decision has been taken: -
(i) The proposals to implement an 11pm until 7am prohibition of motor-caravans are implemented permanently at the following locations:
a. The Beach, Crescent Hill, The Crescent, Filey
b. The Parade (A174 Lythe Bank), Sandsend
c. North Promenade, East Terrace, Royal Crescent, Love Lane, North Terrace
d. Church Street, Whitby
e. Sandside, Foreshore Road, Esplanade, Scarborough

(ii) The A174 Sandsend to Raithwaite, locations at Cayton Bay and Royal Albert Drive, Scarborough will become free of restrictions for overnight motor-caravan parking following the expiry of the recent temporary order

(iii) A resident’s motor caravan permit is introduced to allow residents of the streets concerned who own a motor caravan an exemption to the order

(iv) An exemption for those non-residents displaying a blue badge is not included in the order

(v) The proposals are monitored and any unforeseen issues are examined.

By whom: David Bowe, Corporate Director for Business and Environmental Services in consultation with Executive Members, County Councillors Chris Metcalfe and Don Mackenzie
On: 6 August 2015

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
David Bowe, Corporate Director - Business and Environmental Services in consultation with Executive Members, County Councillors Chris Metcalfe and Don Mackenzie

Titles say it all, jumped up little Hitlers, we have them down here as well, Executive Members of some stupid over executised committee with members who really dont have a clue

Peter

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The A174 Sandsend to Raithwaite, locations at Cayton Bay and Royal Albert Drive, Scarborough will become free of restrictions for overnight motor-caravan parking following the expiry of the recent temporary order

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
David Bowe, Corporate Director - Business and Environmental Services in consultation with Executive Members, County Councillors Chris Metcalfe and Don Mackenzie

Titles say it all, jumped up little Hitlers, we have them down here as well, Executive Members of some stupid over executised committee with members who really dont have a clue

Peter
Utter rubbish. It's a delegation system just like private companies have with their managers. All such decisions are subject to being called in for scrutiny and change but, as John's OP says, there has been no call-in lodged. That means that the rest of the council agrees with the decision or, at least, has no valid grounds on which to challenge it.
Perhaps a protest is in order, Clog up their streets with motorhomes ? A slow drive through Scarborough, very slow:cool:
Hopefully that is posted in jest.
The decision followed a full - and well publicised - consultation. That resulted in some of the temporary orders being made permanent, in order to balance the interests of everyone, but also (as John has since posted) resulted in some of the temporary orders not being made permanent, recognising that there was no case for them in those roads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Come on funsters this is the UK so we expect this treatment to motor homers. They totally love our money but hate our mode of transport. The once touring freedom in the UK has long gone. We're staying on an Aire in southern central France for a few days. FREE hedged pitch, FREE waste and fresh water, FREE toilets, FREE 16amp unmetered electric. The villagers ALL welcome us and the Marie visits the Aire to thank us for visiting.
Who the hell wants to bother the UK. I'd rather spend my money where it's appreciated.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Come on funsters this is the UK so we expect this treatment to motor homers. They totally love our money but hate our mode of transport. The once touring freedom in the UK has long gone. We're staying on an Aire in southern central France for a few days. FREE hedged pitch, FREE waste and fresh water, FREE toilets, FREE 16amp unmetered electric. The villagers ALL welcome us and the Marie visits the Aire to thank us for visiting.
Who the hell wants to bother the UK. I'd rather spend my money where it's appreciated.
Some lack of correlation? :whistle::)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
A limited business director who doesn't see the wider appeal of the business that motorhomers can bring to a community, perhaps he should travel to Germany and France and take a look at the aires and stellaplatz!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I understand that Canterbury is so pleased with the P&R aire it is doing another! Far sighted Council I suggest.
Bernie
More council which has a USP which others do not have, especially one like North Yorkshire with no passenger ports.
A limited business director who doesn't see the wider appeal of the business that motorhomers can bring to a community, perhaps he should travel to Germany and France and take a look at the aires and stellaplatz!
North Yorkshire Council has no more powers to create an aire than any private company does, because it is not a licensing authority for caravan sites. In the area where these restrictions apply the licensing authority is Scarborough Borough Council. The reason why they will not create aires has been well documented in the past.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
More council which has a USP which others do not have, especially one like North Yorkshire with no passenger ports.

North Yorkshire Council has no more powers to create an aire than any private company does, because it is not a licensing authority for caravan sites. In the area where these restrictions apply the licensing authority is Scarborough Borough Council. The reason why they will not create aires has been well documented in the past.
So how did Canterbury do it, was that KCC and if so why only one and why haven't they been more proactive with the situation around Dover? Unless they are expecting ALL motorhomers to use Canterbury P&R,where does that leave the tuggers?

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
On the positive side I take it that apart from the exceptions listed I can park anywhere in North Yorkshire. I assume that the exceptions are listed because of particular reasons. Am I being simplistic?

Dick

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So how did Canterbury do it, was that KCC and if so why only one and why haven't they been more proactive with the situation around Dover? Unless they are expecting ALL motorhomers to use Canterbury P&R,where does that leave the tuggers?
It is Canterbury City Council, not Kent County Council. They opened the facility at the P&R because of their USP of having so many motorhomes use the area to get to and from Dover. As a result of the success they are adding places at Herne Bay and Whitstable to see if they work as well.
Dover District Council/Dover Joint Transport Board have had no need for such facilities until recently when use of on-street parking started to become a problem. They recognise, however, that there is a demand so, as part of the measures to restrict on-street parking they have instructed officers to look at alternative parking facilities.

See This Page for details/links.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I spent a lot of time on free Aires and still spent my money in the community . I think that's what the poster means !
Yes, I know :D Just a bit of devilment in response to the post :D
On the positive side I take it that apart from the exceptions listed I can park anywhere in North Yorkshire. I assume that the exceptions are listed because of particular reasons. Am I being simplistic?

Dick
Not simplistic at all. As I established some years ago, unless there is a restriction in place (normally local rather than national) then it is perfectly legal to camp at the roadside provided waiting/parking restrictions which apply to all vehicles are adhered to.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Thanks for your response Graham. So it looks as though there is no overall cohesive policy for provision, each to their own, especially in the 'Republic of Yorkshire'!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thanks for your response Graham. So it looks as though there is no overall cohesive policy for provision, each to their own, especially in the 'Republic of Yorkshire'!
Have you seen GJH's web site.. it helps wade through the mire a little..

Nationally there is no rule saying you can't park overnight where it is safe and legal to park.. camping is different and setting out an awning and a bbq would probably infringe rules other than parking.. local authorities however have powers to introduce restrictions in areas they are responsible for and those can be complex..

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It's not the end of the world still plenty of places to park up in scarbough we go a often and don't have any problems
it certainly has upset the free loaders though I see many of them come in after 1800 and are up at the crack of dawn to get away before the warden come in the morning AT 0800
Me I just pay the six pound or what ever it is for 24 hrs at the sea life centre
WHAT PEVES ME OFF IS THE TWATS THAT EMPTY THARE CASET OVER THE SEA WALL AND FILL THE BINS WITH THARE CRAP
AND THE ONES THAT ARE DOING THE MOST COMPLANING THE ONES THAT MESED IT UP IN THE FIRST PLACE THE FREE LODING TOSSER'S THAT STAYED FOR WEEKS ON END AND :swear2:UP FOR EVERY ONE
BILL

Last edited:

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
:whistle:Thanks Graham for your comments on Canterbury. I see that no Councillor on Canterbury City Council has any involvement with any Caravan Site.
I note the leader of the Conservative Group on Scarborough Council ( and N Yorks County Councillor) owns Haven Caravan Site at Burniston. Obviously he will not have had any involvement in this decision!
Bernie:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well Bill, you wouldn't want to swim in the north Bay.
The sewage outfall is just a 1/4 mile offshore..... And not all the shit goes out to sea.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can see your point Bill, not condoning their actions but better in the sea, which is flushed by nature twice a day, than in the shrubs and bush's.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Who actually physically enforces these overnight bans then?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The traffic order was refused for the following areas.
(ii) The A174 Sandsend to Raithwaite, locations at Cayton Bay and Royal Albert Drive, Scarborough will become free of restrictions for overnight motor-caravan parking following the expiry of the recent temporary order
So its a win for motorhomers, as they did not approve the ban on all the areas. In fact they are removing restrictions on the above roads.

We have parked on Royal Albert Drive on many occasions before the ban was introduced (only one or two night stops) and never saw any motorhomers leave any kind of waste. In fact when Andy Strangeway submitted a FOI request asking how many complaints about dumping of waste had been made to the council, the reply was they had no official record of any complaints! In fact they relied on purely anecdotal reports to base their request for the temporary traffic order on.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
:whistle:Thanks Graham for your comments on Canterbury. I see that no Councillor on Canterbury City Council has any involvement with any Caravan Site.
I note the leader of the Conservative Group on Scarborough Council ( and N Yorks County Councillor) owns Haven Caravan Site at Burniston. Obviously he will not have had any involvement in this decision!
Bernie:ROFLMAO:
That would be the same Councillor Backhouse who was behind the proposal to allow overnight camping in SBC car parks before the planning policy issue became apparent.

t660

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
bury lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 1999
Hi all I live in Bury Lancs. and it really pees me of when I walk my two dogs around my area and see European heavy goods vehicles parked up over night without any threat of being moved on by the authorities, sometimes they are there all weekend so how are they disposing of tiolet an other wastes?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back