Help identify weird noise (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We are mystified by a noise that comes and goes in the MH and hope someone can help.

I first noticed it when I went to get van out of storage, dry day, it was a very faint whooshing and I thought it might even be coming from outside.

The next time was during the night on a trip, light rain, again not loud but definitely coming from the vicinity of the overhead lockers where wiring runs behind trunking to the control panel. It was intermittent and more off than on.

Visiting the van in storage yesterday, another dry day, and the noise was much louder almost like water gushing - but I'm certain it's not water. After a few minutes the noise grew fainter and stopped. There's absolutely no sign of water ingress or damp. I also checked the roof and the awning channel on that side.

The only thing I can think it might be is the solar panel whose main wiring is on the other side but is connected to the leisure battery on the 'noisy' side - but why would this be making a noise during the night?

I know it's hard to identify a noise you can't hear but I hope some clever funster will know exactly what this is.

Brian

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Have you got a fan fitted somewhere up there, that is being activated by either switching on the ignition, or turning on the van electrics.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Seems unlikely in your case, but it caught us out a couple of times - water collected on the roof while the MH was standing, the noise was the water sloshing about and leaving the roof when we then set off.
There was a thread on here a while ago about water collecting inside the overhead locker & then running out from somewhere behind the cab being 'common' on one type of MH (Bailey?)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@Tootles no fan and I should say that this happens even when the main power supply is off.

@CWH I know what you mean about the sloshing water but definitely not that. When I was looking yesterday the roof was barely damp.

It's a Swift and I know they have a reputation for damp problems but can only repeat my instinct is not water but some kind of electrical issue. I could perhaps describe the noise as a faint ticking (or dripping if we want to continue the water theme)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
If it is ticking could it be something warming / cooling and expanding / contracting? Doesn't fit the water sounds theory though. Have the 12v electrics been on or off when you hear this?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Doh of course, I forgot
You see, all to easy, and a pointer to our modern society, with it's hustle and bustle. Oh so easy just to pick up that bomb you were meaning to drop off at Westminster, and slip it into the MH, with the cornflakes and other stuff. (y)
Glad I was able to help. :)

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@dna 12v both on and off which is why I'm thinking solar panel.

Or could it be the vehicle/leisure batteries communicating?

Sometimes its so faint we can barely hear it but yesterday it was quite loud.

Brian

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My solar panel makes a noise when it's sunny, and I was told it's the controller working. Have you noticed whether it does it in the sun or not??

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Or could it be the vehicle/leisure batteries communicating?

batteries.jpg

:):):):)

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
My solar panel makes a noise when it's sunny, and I was told it's the controller working. Have you noticed whether it does it in the sun or not??

Yes in the sun but also at night, I'm contacting the installer. I don't think it's a problem, but I don't like unexpected noises....cue @Tootles

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Eureka! I've found out what it is @CWH was on the right track, yes water! A small amount sitting at front left on roof and change in temperature i.e. van getting hot was causing air bubbles from dodgy seal to bubble through.
I saw it when I stuck my head through the rooflight on our recent trip.
So I'll reseal the joint and in future when parked up, not away, will ramp it up so water doesn't sit on roof.

Brian

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Eureka! I've found out what it is @CWH was on the right track, yes water! A small amount sitting at front left on roof and change in temperature i.e. van getting hot was causing air bubbles from dodgy seal to bubble through.
So I'll reseal the joint and in future when parked up, not away, will ramp it up so water doesn't sit on roof.

Brian
My god, i wish i had your hearing.
I only know i farted by the smell and my ass is only 3ft from my lugholes

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Brian
I know this is Very old thread but did you ever find out where the water went when it was bubbling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back