Pictures off IPhone 5 onto Avtex TV ???? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Have been trying to view the pictures on my IPhone 5 on our brand new Avtex TV...

The TV recognises the USB has a device plugged into it but will not let us get past :photo: on the on screen menu.

Can't play music off a USB memory stick either with exactly the same thing happening.
I plug in the memory stick select the :music: tab on the on screen menu and get nothing..

I'm beginning to wonder why I spent 300 quid on a TV that does nowt..

Any advice mostest welcome..

Thanks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I believe certain menus are hidden that enable this. plus the storage device attached must be formatted in the specific way the tv is looking for

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I believe certain menus are hidden that enable this. plus the storage device attached must be formatted in the specific way the tv is looking for

So unless I can format or work it out then the answer is no ?

Techno is alien to me I'm afraid. I'm dyslexic anyway so reading these things is beyond me....

I bought the Avtex because I was told it was a top end device with best capability. Wish I had bought a cheap telly now as most of the stuff on this one need stuff doing which is way above my capability.

On the plus side it's a brilliant telly with an awesome picture. Just a shame so many of its functions are not accessible.

Thanks though !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Have the similar problems with my Finlux - very fussy about media formats & codecs.
...but at least Finlux is a whole lot cheaper than Avtex :rofl:
(sorry)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I agree that it sounds like a settings issue with your TV.

I can connect to mine with no problems. I use this connector from Apple and connect via HDMi. It might solve your issue as when you connect it treats the phone/ipad as an external input (like a Sky box or DVD player for example) and mirrors the screen. You don't need to go via any menus. If it also gives you the added benefit of being able to watch videos/films from your mobile device.
MD826.jpeg

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I agree that it sounds like a settings issue with your TV.

I can connect to mine with no problems. I use this connector from Apple and connect via HDMi. It might solve your issue as when you connect it treats the phone/ipad as an external input (like a Sky box or DVD player for example) and mirrors the screen. You don't need to go via any menus. If it also gives you the added benefit of being able to watch videos/films from your mobile device.
View attachment 74966

Thanks for that...

We are shopping in Carrfour tomorrow in France so I may be able to buy a lead there if I'm lucky..

It is a bit disappointing though not being able to plug and play. My IPhone works with all the computers and stuff I plug it into yet this telly is ultra fussy.

Come on Avtex it doesn't have to be this hard.. It's not like it's a cheap telly after all. Mmmm

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks for that...

We are shopping in Carrfour tomorrow in France so I may be able to buy a lead there if I'm lucky..

You won't get the lead in my post from anywhere except an Apple store I'm afraid.

It's probably a really easy fix for whatever is causing the problem when you try and connect via USB. As @TheBig1 and @Langtoftlad have said all TVs, whether cheap or expensive, require specific media formats and require storage devices to be formatted in a particular way. None of them are genuinely USB plug and play straight out of the box

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Have you tried talking to Avtex help Line?, their after sales service is absolutely second to none(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My IPhone works with all the computers and stuff I plug it into yet this telly is ultra fussy.

You can't really compare plugging your phone into a computer, which is set up for the job, with plugging it into a TV which isn't. They are totally different processes.

I've just had a quick look at an Avtex user manual online and from a guess based on what you've posted here I would say that the most likely reason for your problem is that it sees the iPhone as some kind of USB device that isn't supported.
Giving them a call is probably your best bet from where you are. This is a landline number for them: 029 20770053 If it's not the right department explain you're abroad and get them to transfer you rather than ringing the 0844 number.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You can't really compare plugging your phone into a computer, which is set up for the job, with plugging it into a TV which isn't. They are totally different processes.

I've just had a quick look at an Avtex user manual online and from a guess based on what you've posted here I would say that the most likely reason for your problem is that the way it sees the iPhone as some kind of USB device that isn't supported.
Giving them a call is probably your best bet from where you are. This is a landline number for them: 029 20770053 If it's not the right department explain you're abroad and get them to transfer you rather than ringing the 0844 number.

Thanks... I will leave it till we get home and let my daughter sort it.. I'm not sure I would understand what they say anyway to be honest.

I know it's not a PC but when they design and build a product that has the capability to play music and display pictures it surely can't be hard to make the TV support common devices like music stored on a simple USB or pictures on an IPhone ??

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I know it's not a PC but when they design and build a product that has the capability to play music and display pictures it surely can't be hard to make the TV support common devices like music stored on a simple USB or pictures on an IPhone ??

There are about 10 common versions of the USB protocol in circulation at the moment and a load more less common ones. Computers can usually support all or most of them.
With a TV there just isn't the capacity available to build in support for all of them in what really is a useful extra, not a core function of the TV. Avtex TVs support 2 of them properly and a third one if it's formatted in a specific way which isn't bad.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...it surely can't be hard to make the TV support common devices like music stored on a simple USB or pictures on an IPhone ??
Oh but it can!
There are many many different formats & their variations. Pretty much constantly changing.
That's why pc media players & phone apps frequently update.
Additionally some of these formats need to be licenced, which may be free to us as an individual but not necessarily to manufacturers.
So, perhaps it's not so surprising that these TV's have limited functionality.
After all they only have to make the feature work with just format to say their product has it.
I'd tend to agree with @NickNic - get a lead and mirror your own phone's media player or photo viewer.
Save a lot of time & angst rather than trying to get your Avtex to work off the the USB.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
There are about 10 common versions of the USB protocol in circulation at the moment and a load more less common ones. Computers can usually support all or most of them.
With a TV there just isn't the capacity available to build in support for all of them in what really is a useful extra, not a core function of the TV. Avtex TVs support 2 of them properly and a third one if it's formatted in a specific way which isn't bad.

Thanks for the help ! I'm past the limit of my understanding now but I do get what your saying.. (y)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Oh but it can!
There are many many different formats & their variations. Pretty much constantly changing.
That's why pc media players & phone apps frequently update.
Additionally some of these formats need to be licenced, which may be free to us as an individual but not necessarily to manufacturers.
So, perhaps it's not so surprising that these TV's have limited functionality.
After all they only have to make the feature work with just format to say their product has it.
I'd tend to agree with @NickNic - get a lead and mirror your own phone's media player or photo viewer.
Save a lot of time & angst rather than trying to get your Avtex to work off the the USB.

Cheers.. I will get that lead when I can .

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Ok this is one way to get into the hidden menu dependant on your version of Avtex tv
1, Press the “source” button on the TV remote.

2, Then enter code “2580″ on the remote keypad while select source menu is still on screen (this will take you to an hidden engineers mode).

3, Now select and adjust to show ‘DivX’ ON

4, Press "source" to exit.

For TV’s with a DVD player you can use engineers code 9210, this will allow you to set the region code to ’0′ to watch DVD’s from any region.

Hope this helps...

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
You might get the Apple AV Lightening connector at a Carrefour Hypermarket. I bought mine in Currys and have seen enough of them on Fleabay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back