Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
We had our very first night away in Hetty The Hymer last night and I must say that the drop-down bed is very, very comfortable!! What do others use to get up and down? I'm not too bad (although concerned for the "family jewels" sometimes!) But SuzyCute has very short legs and her knees are not brilliant, so the ladder can be difficult

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I have same model 534, i did read some years ago of someone undertaking a conversion to lower the bed even further, not sure how this was done though.
i have sometimes hop skipped on the passenger seat and jumped in.(y)
lately wife bends down i kneel on her back and hey presto i`m up a level, to roll into bed, then i haul her on top.:D:D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
We had a Stannah Stairlift fitted. (y)

I have same model 534, i did read some years ago of someone undertaking a conversion to lower the bed even further, not sure how this was done though.
lately wife bends down i kneel on her back and hey presto i`m up a level, to roll into bed, then i haul her on top.:D:D:D

You made I larf!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We had a Stannah Stairlift fitted. (y)

@Tootles - at your age I am not surprised......

@B-well - try playing leapfrog. You bounce higher......

Suzycute (Mrs Gollom)

Free Member
Aug 29, 2015
Preston
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
18 months

LOL that unfortunately won't work as I can't kneel down to let the hubby stand on my back!! :p

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have an Abru three step up thingy. Works a treat, but we have a B564 A class with space to put it by the bed. If you can fit it in somehow it's very good and goes up in the bed out of the way in the daytime. Cliff fell down the poxy little steps supplied with the van on our first night in it and I thought he was a gonner ! Thought we had made the most expensive mistake of our lives! Went straight out the next day and bought the Abrus,and haven't looked back, or fallen down them since!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have the original ladder, short, wooden with 'hooks' at top that fit on the side of the bed. Works fine!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Leave her down there on the single, sooooo much more room yeaaaaah:p
..................................Or even better, outside, guarding you against GASSERS as you sleep!! (y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
GAS GAS GAS!

Any excuse for Tootles to put his rubber suit on.......... :Eeek:
It wasn't Rubber David. They were a sort of coarse green sack-cloth, which stank of mothballs or something when they got wet. We called them 'Noddy Suits', for some stupid reason, because you got a rattle, not a bell.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It wasn't Rubber David. They were a sort of coarse green sack-cloth, which stank of mothballs or something when they got wet. We called them 'Noddy Suits', for some stupid reason, because you got a rattle, not a bell.
......allegedly........ ;)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
images
Sue You can borrow these if it helps, sling em over steve :LOL::LOL:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Ours didn't even come with a ladder, have to stand on a seat to get a leg up.:)
I don't think you should stand on the seat/single bed as in time it will damage the foam cushion (weight in one small place) be better to get a ladder!
P.S. Ladder lives on the bed when not in use, lay it flat with the 'hooks' pointing into the mattress!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think you should stand on the seat/single bed as in time it will damage the foam cushion (weight in one small place) be better to get a ladder!
P.S. Ladder lives on the bed when not in use, lay it flat with the 'hooks' pointing into the mattress!
Quote from Hymer manual " Depending on model, only get in the pull-down bed using access ladder supplied or the divan". Also the seat we use for access is a fold down one so doesn't have a deep foam cushion and only gets used half a dozen times a year. Models made in the last few years the bed comes down much lower than in older models.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back