Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my experience local independent bike shops offer the best service. You might pay a little more (but not always) but it's well worth it. They are almost always run by real enthusiasts which is a real bonus when it comes to advice, servicing and repairs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Looking at dumping my old heavy mountain bike for a hybrid, any suggestions?

Best retailers on line,?

Forget buying online. You really need to ride before you buy so find your local independent bike shop. Not Halfords or similar.

As to type of bike it depends what you're going to do with it. If you only ever ride on the road or other tarmac sufaces then look at what they seem to call a "sport" road bike. These tend to have different gearing and slightly bigger tyres than an out and out road bike. I've got one that I love. This one. You would be safe enough on a hard pack surface like a tow path on one. If you tend to be off road more then maybe look at a hybrid but personally I would go for a higher spec lighter weight MTB. Mines's a Broken Link Removed (that's the newest version, not mine) with quite a chunky aluminium frame and doesn't weigh anything like as much as it looks like it should. The tyres are more important than the weight so you can always put road tyres on a mountain bike if you don't tend to go on really rough ground. I've left off road tyres on mine as I don't ride it on tarmac very often but the gearing is quite sympathetic so it would suit road tyres.

Whatever you decide make you you ride it before you commit to buying.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've just bought Planet X London Road cyclo cross bikes. Great on roads and handle tracks such as the Tissington Trail with no problems at all.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Forget buying online. You really need to ride before you buy so find your local independent bike shop. Not Halfords or similar.

As to type of bike it depends what you're going to do with it. If you only ever ride on the road or other tarmac sufaces then look at what they seem to call a "sport" road bike. These tend to have different gearing and slightly bigger tyres than an out and out road bike. I've got one that I love. This one. You would be safe enough on a hard pack surface like a tow path on one. If you tend to be off road more then maybe look at a hybrid but personally I would go for a higher spec lighter weight MTB. Mines's a Broken Link Removed (that's the newest version, not mine) with quite a chunky aluminium frame and doesn't weigh anything like as much as it looks like it should. The tyres are more important than the weight so you can always put road tyres on a mountain bike if you don't tend to go on really rough ground. I've left off road tyres on mine as I don't ride it on tarmac very often but the gearing is quite sympathetic so it would suit road tyres.

Whatever you decide make you you ride it before you commit to buying.
Want to cycle road and canal pathways.mountain bike old and very heavy.
2-300 approx.

We've just bought Planet X London Road cyclo cross bikes. Great on roads and handle tracks such as the Tissington Trail with no problems at all.

Just walked 12 miles along that would like to have biked a bit further.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would decide on a bike then see if its available nearly new on evilbay/gumtree... just got very nice Brompton hybrid for wife. £750 in hellfords - £500 on the bay. it was brand new as well (no monkey though:()

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
^^^^ This, I have in over forty years of cycling tried every variant from mountain bikes, steel carbon etc, I am convinced after me and the missus converted to cyclo-cross bikes two years ago that most relativity fit folk would benefit most from cyclocross bikes instead of humping tons of suspension mountain bike around. Fast on roads, towpths and forestry tracks, good disc brakes and plenty of gears. Still have my Ridley Noah for summer days at home, and an old Audax for the winter - but its the cyclocross in the van everytime.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would decide on a bike then see if its available nearly new on evilbay/gumtree... just got very nice Brompton hybrid for wife. £750 in hellfords - £500 on the bay. it was brand new as well (no monkey though:()

Oops that should have read Boardman Team Hybrid:censored:

Hellfords have dropped 2015 bikes £200 to £550. so used should be cheaper!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back