Free Member
Jul 12, 2015
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi
Hope someone can solve this mystery!!!!! MH only a couple of months old we have been out a few times including a week away recently. The MH is cleaned everytime we get home.

We have noticed a musty sort of smell when we go into it and we are unsure of why or where this is coming from, has anyone any ideas?

The only thing we can possibly think of is, is the smell coming up through the sink from the waste water tank? This is always emptied?

I hope someone out there has some ideas.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Check, or get some one to check for damp...

Not all way`s visible till the problem get`s too bad..

Just for peace of mind..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ken&Carol

Ken&Carol

Free Member
Jul 12, 2015
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Do you think there could be damp if the vans new, and it's only been used approx 3/4 times?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
hard to describe what damp smells like, but it is sort of musty and wet wood. just because the van is nearly new doesnt mean its not leaking somewhere.

to rule out waste tank gas circulating n the van put a bottle of cheap cola down each plug hole. if it still smells get it independently damp tested

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Try putting the plugs in the sinks and have a sniff round after a couple of days. Hopefully that's all it is.
I am always flushing the tank and still get a nasty niff if the plugs are not fitted.
Strangely it is really noticeable if driving with window down and no plug in.

Upvote 0

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I agree with the above get a damp check done by your dealer

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Possibly.......... I doubt if it is that new the smell was coming from a plughole..

Just to make sure..... stick some tape over the plugholes or put the waste plugs in and make sure they are air tight and leave it over night and see.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Have you checked the joints of the internal water and waste systems for leaks ? Have you got your carpet wet at any time ? Wet carpets or damp laminate flooring can small musty.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Grey waste water really can pong. Chances are, that is the smell. In the US they use Water Softener in the grey waste tank Google "GEO Method" You can buy water softener tablets from the supermarket. I've never used it, but some swear by it and regularly add a tablet to their waste.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
A motorhome that new should smell like a mixture between new car, and new furniture! A musty smell should rightly ring alarm bells, I'd get it checked ASAP!

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You might have dropped a BLT or something behind somewhere......Its not the fridge, I take it??

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am with the grey water theory here, we get exactly the same and with windows open when driving it is much worse, I reckon it draws the air back in somehow through the grey tank breather

It is typically much worse for us when just emptied, now we close windows sharpish when leaving rallies, turn on air con, all then OK, but like you there is a niff in the air when opened up, we now keep a couple of air fresheners in the MH and try to remember to push down all plugs (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
It is typically much worse for us when just emptied, now we close windows sharpish when leaving rallies, turn on air con, all then OK, but like you there is a niff in the air when opened up, we now keep a couple of air fresheners in the MH and try to remember to push down all plugs
When emptying your grey waste the suction of the tank emptying can remove the water in the sink and shower traps, then allowing the smell into the van through the unprotected drains.
After draining your grey waste, just run the taps or pour some fresh water into the sink or shower drains to re-establish the traps. (y)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the majority of vans dont have traps on the sinks and shower tray and some dont even have breather pipes to allow fast draining. Those without a breather rely on the pressure escaping through plug holes. You can demonstrate this by the plug in bathroom sink or shower popping out as you release the plug with a full sink of water

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our Swift Bessacarr used to smell a bit musty when left locked up. I put it down to lack of ventilation and having no proper traps on the sink and shower wastes.
We helped overcome this by putting 100ml of Fenwicks drain and tank cleaner down the wastes every couple of days, when using the van. And by keeping the windows slightly open on their 'vent' position when weather allowed.
Seemed to help

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As already said a new van should smell of new furniture, wood, plastics etc. If it smells damp and musty, it shouldn't. If you can smell drains, you shouldn't. If it has no traps and you have to put in plugs, that's very poor. Whatever, back to the dealer, toot sweet.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Festering grey water doesn't smell " musty"; it smells of drains.

"Musty" is damp, either from the van insulation or from soft furnishings or flooring that has been wet at some point. Take up some carpet, feel under the floor ( spongy ?) look around the areas that have rubber seals joining them to the van body ( windows, external locker doors, roof vents, ventilation grilles etc). These are the places where a small section of faulty rubber seal will allow water to get in.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
After emptying grey waste tank I always put cheap cola down the drains and we don't have a problem. ...........

Mind you leaving the grey waste valve open all the time helps too ............:wink:
:reel:

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Strangely it is really noticeable if driving with window down and no plug in.

This is because the open window creates a negative pressure inside the vehicle and it will then draw in air from anywhere it can. In the case mentioned it is drawing air through the plugs and the waste tank.

I agree with Eyore, drains smell of...well, drains! Musty will most likely be damp. Get back to the dealer post haste and get it checked for water ingress.

KH

Upvote 0

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
The kitchen sink and whb on our new autotrail are very slow running when level or the front of the van is lower and we had a vile smell in the bathroom last weekend which flooded into the van when you opened the door.When we left site and emptied the grey tank i put some cleaner down the wastes and ran the remainder of the fresh water through as well. After reading this thread i went out to the van and this seems to have cured it. I just traced the route of the waste pipes and they are sat on the top of the grey waste tank before entering creating a bit of a trap . I lifted it and there was water sat in there which could well be the problem. It may well be if the waste pipes were shortened it may well solve it. Theres no room to drop the tanks under there without it being very awkward so needs to be over a pit really. Im sure my dealer will take a look at it for me.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
This is because the open window creates a negative pressure inside the vehicle and it will then draw in air from anywhere it can. In the case mentioned it is drawing air through the plugs and the waste tank.

KH
Thanks, that makes sense as the waste tank is vented so it must have drawn through the tank. Always keep the plugs in now and no nasty smells.

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
We put some non bio wash powder in the waste tank, did all the plug holes flushed it into tank, left the tank with some water in on the way home,empty tank at home,see what its like then (some people use cheap coca cola)

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
OP has a panel van so damp not unheard of but reasonably rare? smelly waste tanks is a normal thing to have to deal with but a different kind of smell to damp?

Upvote 0

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
I had a niff in my lunar. Emptied and flushed the waste tank and then left the waste tap open to get some air in.sorted it.

Also noticed if you use the shower and don't drain the water out the shower head it can stagnate. ..

Make sure the toilets emptied after use if your popping the van in storage. ..

Was trial and error but basically get in the habit of draining the water system if it's being parked up for any period of time unused.

Finally, it could be a leak like others have said.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back