Advice needed for October/November in France (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are going to France for the last week in October (just 5 days, half term) and it will be the first time in our MH. We want to try just Aires so have bought the Aires book. We are only there for 4 nights so won't be going very far.
We are booking the tunnel using our Tesco vouchers so that won't cost anything, which is great. We were thinking of just going as far as Honfleur in Normandy or into Northern France somewhere. We like little fishing villages, lakes, canals or fortified towns, etc. If you have any favourites or even ones that are a definite "no no" then can you please let us know about them. I realise there are loads but would like to go to recommended ones first. Next year we will be more adventurous.
I know I shouldn't listen to all the scaremongering about gassing, thefts, breathing in dust, etc but it does worry me a bit. I am not going to let it put me off as we have been waiting to roam around in our MH and not just stay on a site.

Thanks

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Montreuil sur mer. Walled old town 40 mins from Calais. Campsite and there is an Aire.
Supermarket on outskirts and great restaurants,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You shouldn't listen to any scare mongering. Safe as houses.No different to motor homing in UK except its more motor home friendly...BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Adrian & Alison

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Exp
5ys in Europe
I know I shouldn't listen to all the scaremongering about gassing, thefts, breathing in dust, etc but it does worry me a bit. I am not going to let it put me off as we have been waiting to roam around in our MH and not just stay on a site.

Thanks

Please don't let it worry you, once you have been there a couple of days you wont want to go home ..

Montreuil sur mer. Walled old town 40 mins from Calais. Campsite and there is an Aire.
Supermarket on outskirts and great restaurants,
Yep i will second that :D

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You obviously need to get your confidence.
In over 3 years at home and abroad we have no problems what so ever and we wild camp and uses aires exclusively.
There is no such thing as gassing, most robbery's are simply because people have forgot to lock the doors!
I'm sure you will feel much happier when you have a had great time in France.
Don't dismiss Belgium there are some wonderful places to see - Ypres - free aire just out side the city walls, you must see the last post. (at 8.00pm every night) Brugge is stunning, with a pay aire very close to the old town.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Tis B.S. the gassing tales, everyone hears them but NO-ONE actually knows a single person to whom it has happened and has filed a report with Gendarmes and/or visited a hospital. I for one would do BOTH if such a thing happened ergo .... RUBBISH !!! We have lived in France now for more than 10 years where we both work, French love it when you try and speak french so .... jump in .... give it a go ..... learn a few words of French and don't be scared to make a fool of yourself, if they laugh you can be sure they will be laughing WITH you and not AT you ....... bloody 'ell I'll be signing the sodding La Marseillaise next ... ENJOY you will not look back ....... cos you might see meeee .......................... BOO!

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
That's a great time to go to Honfleur. It is so pretty and when it is not crowded with the summer visitors it's far better.
Bayeux is interesting to go and see the tapestry.
St Valery sur Somme is also a nice little fishing village. Willie the Conq and his fleet tied up there before setting sail the next day to visit England - liked it so much he stayed.:) There are two lovely fish shops on the quay if you like seafood. Or there were when we last visited a fair while ago.
Just chill and enjoy and ignore all the b/s that you read in the publications that jokingly call themselves "news"papers. :sneaky:

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for your replies. I think Honfleur is a definite. Will look up St Valery sur Somme as well.
Thanks - if there are any more recommendations I'd like to know about them please.

Fenman I just looked at the link www segue prior eu. Wow what a pretty village. Is it possible to park a MH there?

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Fenman I just looked at the link www segue prior eu. Wow what a pretty village. Is it possible to park a MH there?

Last year they put up notices forbidding overnighting on the "village green" area but since it has been spruced up and the new magnificant toilet block built those notices have gone and not been replaced.
So this summer we had motorhomes staying for a night quite often. But there's no hook-ups or anything.
So, though not official, the answer seems to be yes you can.
Just be aware that whilst the village is alive in July and August it is much, much quieter the rest of the time. Sadly the chateau is private so can't be visited. We are in the process of making a lot of tablets to go on the many ancient houses explaining their history but they will not be up until next year - in fact I am doing the English translation for them and I haven't seen the French originals yet! Typically French, it's only been talked about for 3 years!
We are back home now after nigh on 9 weeks there and missing it terribly.
If you visit I hope you enjoy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Boulogne-sur-Mer

Campercontact http://www.campercontact.com/en/fra...72/motorhome-parking-aire-de-camping-car.aspx

Good aire which has some grassy pitches.. €5.25 , water €3 .. easy to find , it is at the top of the hill as you come into town on the D940

We spend three nights here .. plenty to see and do in the town.. which you can walk to..

The walled part of the city is worth visiting

From Wiki
Sights

The Belfry is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Our Lady's Basilica towers over the city.

Boulogne's Castle Museum
Boulogne's 12th century belfry is one of 56 in northeastern France and Belgium with shared World Heritage Site status. It is the oldest building in the upper city, and currently serves as the home to a museum of Celtic remains from the Roman occupation. Founded as the Counts' dungeon, the top floor was added in the 13th century. Damage by a fire in 1712 was built over by 1734.[5]

• Medieval walls long 1,500 metres with 4 gates and 17 towers from 13th century
  • Medieval castle, whose foundations date to Roman times. It houses an Egyptian art collection
  • Gothic church of St. Nicholas, housing several 15th century statues
  • Cathedral basilica of Notre-Dame, with a dome standing at over 100 m. The crypt is one of the largest in France, and has Roman, Romanesque and Gothic elements.
  • Opened in 1991, Nausicaä - The French National Sea Centre is a science centre entirely dedicated to the relationship between mankind and the sea. It houses Aquaria, exhibitions on the marine fauna, and the exploitation and management of marine resources (fisheries, aquaculture, coastal planning, maritime transport, exploitation of energies and mineral, tourism).
  • The Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, created during the Great War

Map https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...s0x47dc2c40b157a363:0x40af13e8163fb30!6m1!1e1

Last edited:

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
You may want to consider avoiding the toll roads, you get to see a lot more of France. Places I recommend to the west of the tunnel are Le Crotoy, Le Treport further on Saint Vallery en Caux and to the East Gravelines, then into Belgium for Ypres and Burgge. We are a little bit addicted to going to France and will be going for our third visit next week, Normandy this time. It's perfectly safe and easier to Motorhome in France, My golden rule's are stay near other vans overnight at aires or campsite and never stay on motorway aires.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
On your way down to Honfleur have a look at Fecamp and Etretat - lovely seaside towns!

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks again. We have spent bit of time this morning looking at aires. We are thinking Honfleur, Neufchâtel en Bray, Rugles, Fecamp, Etretat, and Long.
Boulogne sur mer and Segur are definitely on our list for next year.
Laser10 I have looked at your aires gallery - lovely photos.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only one thing you need to know about France:-

It's Motorhome Heaven