Is Ireland UK or Continental? (1 Viewer)

tometucker

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Bailey 74-4
Exp
Since 2012
I've been looking through the forums for info on touring Ireland both North & South. I would like to pick forum readers brains regarding any tips or suggestions for our forthcoming trip. My wife & I are travelling across to Dublin on the 8th of September & I am planning on travelling anti-clockwise around the coast mainly. We've only got 14 days so it will be a touring holiday with mainly one night stops, the first of which will be in Dublin as we arrive just before midnight. We will then head North to Belfast & up to the Giants Causeway before heading across to the West coast & down the Wild Atlantic Way.
I am a member of Brit Stops & I heard that there was a similar scheme in Ireland which offers overnight stops for a small fee.
Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.
THANKS!!!

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
One recommended spot north of Dublin is Hoath pier, nice town with direct dart link in to the centre of Dublin, good restaurants/toilets nearby and water if needed were the fishing boats unload their catch,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not worth bothering with the Irish stop scheme as you can wild camp virtually anywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: LAM

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Howth Harbour is a great location - good fish n chip shop opposite pier along with several fine eateries.
You can usually park overnight at Carrick a Rede rope bridge car park - without anyone bothering you. Have a look at motorhomecraic for specific info on Ireland, both North (UK) and South - Republic of Ireland. Fill up with fuel South of the border as there are significant savings with the excellent exchange rate at the moment. Please note that some towns along the north coast are not motorhome friendly, although if you have a wee look on that other forum I mentioned that deals with Ireland specifically you will get loads of good parking advice/information. Also careful around Co. Donegal as several site owners have made the place "unfriendly" too. There are many pubs that will let you park up. When in Co. Sligo there is a fantastic location - Streedagh beach - near a village called Grange - you will see the brown signs - you can park up here overnight with a fabulous view and beech all to yourself. Mullaghmore is also nearby and has good eateries along with a cliff top layby to overnight at just a few yards out of town - (country yards that is!) Wild camping is possible and tolerated. Come and enjoy.

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Also looking to do this in the future........ thank you for the post AND the helpful replies (as usual) :clap::clap:

OP
OP
tometucker

tometucker

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Bailey 74-4
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for all your help. Looks like we will be spending 1 or 2 nights at Howth & having a day, at least, in Dublin.(Just to get over our "Boat Lag?). I joined "SafeNights Ireland" & "Motorhomecraic". Lots of good info for stopovers. I see there are also a few ACSI sites scattered around.

Looking forward to the trip just got to find the right spot to celebrate wife's 70th birthday on the 20th. Any further suggestions for this, clean or otherwise, gratefully considered. we should be down near Cork or Tipperary by then.

Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
Hia

Hope to see you on the boat

I have wrote loads of names down but haven't a clue where they are
Just going to enjoy where and what I see
Been primary to buy a couple of more jumpers
Weather Can't be as bad as the Outer Hebredes
Ordered a road map but it's not come it's got till Monday then if not it will do for another time
Getting a bit giddy now

Athione is the meet I think that is near Limerick and then there is a campsite that a member owns Standcamping Doonbeg about €10 p/n ? About 50 miles from there

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We'll be just a day behind you. On the evening fast ferry on the 9th so will be heading for Howth for the night so we might bump into each other.

Interesting that you are in the same county as us albeit you are at the northern end of Suffolk.

Looks like Ireland will be suffering a 'Fun' invasion this September. :clap:

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
Another vote for Howth from me.We travelled clockwise and on the journey south from Dublin we followed the coast road and stayed on a different beach carpark everynight.There were signs up on most stating no overnighting,but after speaking to locals we were assured this is to detract travellers and they were right! Each night at 7pm the warden came to lock the loos and just smiled and waved to us :)Oh,they were all Blue Flag beaches......these are the ones with loos and car parks,hope this helps.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back