Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since December 2008
I gather that, when the 'toad' is attached to the RV, it needs to show the RV's registration number as it is classed as a trailer. What is the easiest way of doing this please?

Obviously the number plate needs to be simple to fit and take off but when I rang various number plate suppliers, no-one seemed to be able to help. It seems a labourious task if we have to keep screwing and unscrewing number plates; there has to be a easier way to do it than that!

Toni

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
try a couple of elastic bands fixing both number plates together. or a light board . its not too difficult ,or is it?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

You can buy a couple of special spring clips that screw onto the RV's plate and clip over the toad plate .. not sure where to buy them, they came with my toad..

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, I use special stainless steal spring loaded clips thet screw onto the toad.You can get them from any trailer dealer.Another and cheaper way is to use plastic bolts on the toad protruding through the toad number plate.Drill the RV plate to suit same and use plastic wing nuts to hold it on.Regards,Dave.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Not only do you have to show the Tow car's plate on the towed car, you have to cover both towed car plates if you wish to be bulletproof I'm afraid Bugsy.
Cops don't usually bother, but you might meet one with a hump on.

Link Removed

You also have to use, or obscure the towed car's lights to be 100% bulletproof.
Cops don't seem to bother, but insurance companies may if the guy who runs into you knows the ins and outs.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not only do you have to show the Tow car's plate on the towed car, you have to cover both towed car plates if you wish to be bulletproof

You also have to use, or obscure the towed car's lights to be 100% bulletproof.

Please can you tell us what regulations your quoting that state that the front number plate on the toad must be obscured and if using a trailer board the toad's lights must be obscured ?

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
ScotJimland, I've known those rules ever since.
If you ask an MOT man, he'll probably be able to quote chapter and verse on each subject.

If you stop and think, they both make sense.

If you have lights on a vehicle, they must work.
A trailer is a vehicle or part of a vehicle, it's lights, if visible, must work.
If you present a car with high and low level brake lights, but one of the rear brake lights doesn't work, you car should fail.

It's probably easier to use your towed car lights anyway than faff about with a trailer board.
All you need is a trailer socket on your towed car, and a double headed connecting cable.
A trailer socket on the front of the towed car does the business.
You get to use the front sidelights as marker lights that way.
You will need to add trailer triangles to your towed car of course.

A vehicle can't have more than one registration number displayed.
Wouldn't it be nice to display say half a dozen number plates to confuse speed cameras.
A trailer is a vehicle, or part of a vehicle.
A trailer can't have more than one registration number displayed.

As I said before, the info is for 'if you want to be bullet proof'.

Here's a description of trailer lighting rules that will apply to a car attached by an A-frame from what the DfT tell me.

Trailer Lighting Requirements

Trailers must have on the back two red sidelights, two red stop lamps, an illuminated number plate and two triangular red reflectors plus amber indicators designed to flash between 60 and 120 times per minute. If they are more than 1.3m wide, they must also have at least one red fog lamp. All trailers built after Sept 30th 1990 require front reflectors. They must have front reflectors and, if they are more than 1.6 metres wide, front position lights.
Requirements:

• If, in the case of direction indicators, it is not possible to meet the maximum height requirements, this dimension can be increased to 2300mm.
  • If, in the case of the rear position (tail) lamps and stop lamps, it is not possible to meet the maximum height requirements, this dimension can be increased to 2100mm.
  • On trailers manufactured after 1 October 1985, the maximum height of the red triangular reflectors can be increased to 1200mm if necessary.
  • Trailers manufactured after 1 October 1985 require numberplates, illuminated by an 'E' or 'e' marked lamp. If a clear window in the rear position lamp is approved, this can be used instead of a separate numberplate lamp but must be fitted to the manufacturer's instructions with regard to distance from the numberplate.
  • At least one rear fog light is mandatory on trailers over 1.3 m wide. Two lamps are preferred but, if only one is fitted, it must be to the offside or on the centre line of the trailer.
  • No maximum distance from the outer edge of the trailer is stated for a fog lamp(s) but there must be a minimum distance of 100mm from the stop lamp.
  • The distance of the direction indicator from the side of the trailer may not exceed the actual distance of the rear lamp by more than 50mm.
  • Trailers manufactured after 1 October 1985 which are more than 1600mm wide, (except boat trailers) require front position lamps (clear lens).
Certain trailers must have side position lights which show white to the front and red to the back. In addition, trailers over certain lengths must have amber side reflectors.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try a couple of elastic bands fixing both number plates together. or a light board . its not too difficult ,or is it?

i use a couple of pieces of dressmakers elastic, far better:thumb:....laggy bands rot very quickly in sunlight and No plates aint cheap.:cry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As an Mot tester/vehicle examiner and recovery operative
as far as Im aware there is no obligation to obscure unused rear lighting or remove any other number plate fitted you have already quoted current trailer regs and nothing contained therein contradicts my beliefs
What they do and as far as im aware always have said is you must have rear lights as dictated in the regs and display at the rear the towing vehicle registration number
I think that is what Jim was alluding to in his comment
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, I use special stainless steal spring loaded clips thet screw onto the toad.You can get them from any trailer dealer.Another and cheaper way is to use plastic bolts on the toad protruding through the toad number plate.Drill the RV plate to suit same and use plastic wing nuts to hold it on.Regards,Dave.

i have those clips on my bike trailer.....waste of money.
first time out going to newark and the plate came off.:Sad::cry:its somewhere between scarborough and newark:Angry:
the only safe way is to drill the plate and secure with a length of chain or nylon cord so if it does depart it doesnt go altogether.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
no.plates for toad

hi barry,hope you are well and toni also.we have some spring clips fitted to the no.plate which clips over the no.plate on the toad.easy to fit and very cheap,only about ÂŁ4.00.we got them from a local trailer co.see you soon regards brian & jo:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ScotJimland, I've known those rules ever since.
If you ask an MOT man, he'll probably be able to quote chapter and verse on each subject.

As an Mot tester/vehicle examiner and recovery operative
as far as Im aware there is no obligation to obscure unused rear lighting or remove any other number plate fitted you have already quoted current trailer regs and nothing contained therein contradicts my beliefs
What they do and as far as im aware always have said is you must have rear lights as dictated in the regs and display at the rear the towing vehicle registration number
I think that is what Jim was alluding to in his comment
Geo

Thanks Geo

I think that answers my question... :winky:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Could be Geo, could be.
Your interpretation could be more accurate than mine, who knows?
Interpretation of regulations is always tricky, until a judge rules.
I've tried to work what I know about construction and use against what the DfT told me and what's in their sheet, in order to get something bullet proof.
I have not suggested it's essential.

I tend to work on the basis that if I know the regulations, I'm more likely to be suitably humble before the cop whose pulled me.
And more likely get off.
An approach that's been a Godsend to me so far.
Doesn't every one work that way?

When you recover a broken down vehicle, the deal is a bit different.
It's a force majeur situation.
And I bet you carry more flashing lights than Blackpool illuminations.
And a chitty from the Police to allow you to do it.

When a car's a trailer, it's the same rules as any normal trailer.

I quoted trailer regs for further information rather than as a reply to Jim's question.
I did not quote it in direct response to the questions he put to me.
I replied that I couldn't quote the regulations.
I put forward that if people stop and think, they are commonsense.

I daresay the covered number plate will become essential as, when, and if the new generation of speed cameras that take pics front and rear come into use.
Do you know if anyone has been picked up by a speed camera on the towed car's no plate rather than the trailer board plate?

I was pulled the other day with one out of four brake lights not working.
Would you pass my vehicle if I presented for an MOT with one out of 4 tail lights not working?
I know that trailers aren't MOT'd in this country, but as far as I can ascertain, when they are attached, they are subject to the same regs that requires visible lights to work as the towing vehicle.
Do you know of an exemption clause for trailer please?

Do you know of an exemption for showing two different reg numbers on a trailer please?

In the end, I suppose it's down to the Courts to inteprete.
Although I think numbet plates are soon to be a fixed penalty jobbee aren't they?
Do you know if lights are due to become fixed penalty offences please Geo.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
2 bulldog clips work for me :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
only obligatory lights needed for car or trailer. its a mith that if lights are fitted they must work. trailer boards could be illegal as theydont carry frt lights or front reflectors. :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as far as recovery you dont have or get any permission for recovery . we used a frames ,harveyfrost towboys , what ever you had lift axle artics make nice recovery trucks only need a chain on recovered vehicle lift rear axle on truck away we go. how far is a recovery ? dont know of any rules . might have to recover from anywhere. :thumb:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Geo, what's your take on front markers and front reflectors on cars while they are actually trailers please?

VWAlan, I suggest you only argue your point that lights, within the context of what I wrote, don't have to work to traffic if you are traffic policeman.

Incidentally, within the context of what I wrote, the lights on the towed car are obligatory lights, with the possible exception of the headlights.
If you check your towed car, unless it's pretty old, it's side, brake, flasher, and fog lights carry the EU designation for an obligatory light.
As far as my knowledge of the regs goes, you could use your towed car lights to replace the obligatory lights on a caravan if you wished to.
If I'm wrong, would you, or someone else please point me to the reg?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the lights on a trailer replace the obligatory lights on a tow unit. i argue with police, courts and have won. i just use the rules. google chideock speeding . its probably the biggest mistake in british motoring history ,3.5 million pounds approx should be returned to the motorists. authority cant even make proper signs or get the regs. correct. took 2years but won in the end.:thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
as far as recovery you dont have or get any permission for recovery . we used a frames ,harveyfrost towboys , what ever you had lift axle artics make nice recovery trucks only need a chain on recovered vehicle lift rear axle on truck away we go. how far is a recovery ? dont know of any rules . might have to recover from anywhere. :thumb:

Fixed bar required on motorways. Why bother with (toads) . Surely cheaper to buy a caravan and good tow car. P.C. seems to suit lots of peeps here until toads raise their warty heads.:restmycase:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
VWAlan, if your happy to spend 2 years arguing in court good luck to you.
My guff was for them as don't want to end up in court.

Whichever way you wanna ague, carrying a 3 or 4 ft of double headed trailer cable fixed to your A-frame, and a clip on number plate in a locker is easier than carrying a trailer board of the correct width.
Plugging the A-fame mounted cable in when you attach A-frame and nipping round the back to fix a couple of magnetic trailer reflectors and the towing car's number plate on the towed car's number plate has got be simpler, especially as you have instant front marker lights.
If you want to do it the hard way, good luck to you.

How you going to cope with the proposed fixed penalty tickets that appear to be at the policeman's discretion anyway?

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
45er. i dont disagree withyou about using the cars lights . i think tr brds. are dodgy for the reasons you give .relectors/lihts on front. its the covering up of other lights i dont accept . i drive a 5th wheel so dont need a toad at moment. i think 5ers is the way forward but my opinion is only mine. its really the question of the law that keeps popping up that interests me, authority at all levels seem to not want to abide by the same rules as the people they lead. we have a set of rules and we can use them correctly as intended or break them .i prefer to stay inside the rules even if only just ,we break rules we get punished . police etc sometimes dont follow the rules and they need a reminder of them. i try to guide people correctly within the law . if they take no notice i dont really care . i prefer to stretch the bounderies so we can have a better quality of life not stay with the herd n stand still . the question asked was how do we fix a number plate . i answeed it with an easy solution. works for me and it seems others.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know that trailers aren't MOT'd in this country, but as far as I can ascertain, when they are attached, they are subject to the same regs that requires visible lights to work as the towing vehicle.
Do you know of an exemption clause for trailer please?

this is the only one i can find........lighting exemption

Do you know of an exemption for showing two different reg numbers on a trailer please?

cant find anything on this but look at the rear of HGV trailers.....maybe two or three plates attached so different tractor units can pull 'em without bothering to change plates

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
VWAlan, I'm very happy for you not to accept covering up other lights.

My mission is solely to make information available to people.

Obviously, the information is my lay interpretation of a complex, and ever changing legal system and it's enforcement.

Obviously, I'm not going to have a detailed knowledge of the regulations and case law.
If I had that, I wouldn't be giving it away.

Where I note information as 'if you want to be bullet proof', it is exactly that.
It's for people who wish to lead a quiet life.
People with a heart condition perhaps?

Rewind to those riot officers recently.
They ain't all nice people.
And very often it's your word against theirs when they fall back on 'You were going to slow' - - - check comments in today's Sun.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2432113.ece

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
trailers are not mot,ed? tell that to all the truck fims in uk. i know what you mean. :ROFLMAO:note living vans (5ers/ large caravans)over 3,500kgs need mot,s . the law is funny it lists what it wants then lists exemptions the latter is the most important, but as i have said before a vehicle(tow unit) forming part of an articulated combination towing a living van is exxempt plating n testing if its g.v.w.is over 3.5tn. :thumb:good reason to have one in my book. :ROFLMAO: i have towed miles with a frames etc n really cant see why they cant be openly accepted by everyone as the simplest way to move a rolling chassis. trucks used to use them to move trucks at one time no probs.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
As far as I can see, A-frames are openly excepted VWAlan.
Read the DfT's statement.

Trailer under 3.5 ton are tested in Germany at least.
They carry their own number plate.

It may spread here as the EU strangle hold increases.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi 45e you claim to give "bullet proof advice" and then quote the Sun. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Olley

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Olley. exactly where did I claim my suggestion to look at comments in the Sun was bulletproof?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back