Got the bug (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: After a very sucessful first trip to France we now have the bug. We have read nearly every thread about travelling to France. Thank you fellow Funsters you have made our moho lives so much easier :smiley: So confident and positive are we, that we are planning to go back again in December for Christmas and New Year :smiley: We have 2 dogs and dont want a long crossing so while I would like to take the tunnel Mr. Spritely has been looking at other options. We met a couple in France who go from Dover to Dunkirk and Mr S is trying to persuade me to try this route. All and any advice will be very much appreciated as would ideas about places to go which will be warmer than good old Blitey :smiley: We dont need wall to wall sunshine and can put up with a bit of wind and rain but would like some warmth and sunshine every now and again so that Mr S doesn't need to pack his thermal undies :smiley: We've got quite an open timescale and like to plod along exploring, so the worlds our lobster ::bigsmile: I used to end all my correspondence when I was a working gal "look forward to hearing from you" the difference is that I really mean it this time ::bigsmile:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
May I suggest the South of France, namely Provence area. It has been known to be extremely cold in winter, but equally it can be extremely hot. But whatever the weather, it is a very pretty region, and the wine is superb! Also, you are a stones throw from the Camargue!

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
May I suggest the South of France, namely Provence area. It has been known to be extremely cold in winter, but equally it can be extremely hot. But whatever the weather, it is a very pretty region, and the wine is superb! Also, you are a stones throw from the Camargue!
:smiley: Aha! how that for a swift response, dont you just love this forum. Thanks Daniel, the Carmargue sounds great, especially as I have a horse and would like to try a bit of riding while we're away :smiley:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Please excuse my ignorance, what is this Camargue ?
The area below Provence, famous for the horses, there is (I believe) a particular breed of horse from that area. And best to visit in the winter, when the flies aren't an issue :D

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
The area below Provence, famous for the horses, there is (I believe) a particular breed of horse from that area. And best to visit in the winter, when the flies aren't an issue :D
:smiley: Quite right Daniel :smiley: the Carmargue is famous for it's white horses, born dark they get lighter as they get older and become a beautiful white (grey) colour, they are stunning :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if visiting the camargue be sure to visit Arles and see the roman coliseum where horse shows are still held, visit the shops in front of it for unique models of people in local dress, every one of them different. Park for free in the huge free aire by the river.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just in case anyone is in any doubt the Camargue is famous for horses, bulls, flamingoes and mosquitoes! Our family lost several pints of blood half a century ago when we camped there. I suspect the mosquitoes are even now still talking about that legendary feast.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Please excuse my ignorance, what is this Camargue ?
It is the Rhone Delta area of France. Agree it is a beautiful place, but for the mosquitos. Another word of warning - probably best to not eat the molluscs. We used to love Moules, but about 30 years ago had a bad batch there in a restaurant (don't ask me to describe what happened!) and both of us are now allergic to them. The Rhone then was not very clean, and the mussels filter the water.

Dam annoying nowadays when the table next to you orders them.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
:smiley: Quite right Daniel :smiley: the Carmargue is famous for it's white horses, born dark they get lighter as they get older and become a beautiful white (grey) colour, they are stunning :smiley:

Yes the pink flamingoes are lovely and the mozzies voracious . We stayed in an aire in Aigues Mortes a few years ago in the spring and the mozzies were not too bad then .Many years ago we passed through on a sailboat on the canal and were eaten alive .

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
Just in case anyone is in any doubt the Camargue is famous for horses, bulls, flamingoes and mosquitoes! .

Ha gives new meaning to the title of this thread :D Didn't realise the Carmargue has a mossie problem. We visited in May a couple of years ago and loved it and didn't notice them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back