Blue Ox or Roadmaster Tow Bar / Brackets (1 Viewer)

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
How many UK motor home owners use either an American Blue Ox or Roadmaster A frame and bracket to tow their car behind the MH?

Mick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Having fitted one for a member on here and seen them perform, I feel confident that a lot more would have the American A frame set up
If only you could get the fitting kit for Uk and European vehicles:Doh:

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi mick

i use a blue ox alladin frame, coupled to my chris cox fittings on the toad. amazingly, i just swapped the chris cox end fittings to the blue ox, and all perfect. great towbar - never has to be removed from the rv, so no carrying. and no ball and socket, so breakaway risk seriously reduced. in any case, i now use crossed safety cables (as well as the breakaway system on the brake buddy). talk about belt & braces, plus a bit of string! sadly a very expensive solution, but i feel it money well spent in what i consider to be a 10 year project (hopefully more).

long time since we met up in cannock!

regards to you both

des

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi Guys, The reason for asking is that our Jeep is fitted with a Road master and I have always driven the Jeep over here with the front bracket in place, like every one else :Blush:

See Jeep with front bracket in place.

Now there is no way I'd get away with driving the Jeep with the bracket still fitted on any UK road then I saw this.

Link Removed:thumb:

The above plastic cover was been advertised at a big RV show via flyer's as it was still under development.

I have since met the inventor and discussed any sales potential in the UK, I was sorry to have to tell this very nice gent that the ONLY users of either a Blue Ox or Road master tow bar and base plate would be owned by persons like myself who visited the USA bought a car and RV to tour the country then shipped BOTH back to the UK, but then I may just see by asking on a few forums, you never know.

Des,

When we return later this year we intend to base our UK 'stays' in either Staffordshire or Cheshire so we could meet up

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The only comment I can honestly make is that the Blue ox I fitted has absolutly no protrusions whatsoever in facy two rubber plugs fill the holes reqd and its almost invisable
Geo

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Geo,

Sorry, I should have said that the vehicle bracket I bought from Road master is also removable with very little showing, but I'm to bloody idle to remove the 'sticking out bits' and then there's the chance of loosing a part.

Ok its more excuses but like I said 99.9% of other toad vehicles also drive around with the brackets in place.:Blush:

Mick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ah!! So:roflmto:
Interestingly enough that protrusion would be no worse than some of the 4x4 bull bars or nearer to the mark Landrovers with a front mounted winch,
From a MoT point of view its a pass:thumb:
The regulations state sharp or dangourous protusions, as a result of accident damage or corrosion:Eeek:
yours is neither:Cool::thumb: but the cover is a neat bit of kit and would tidy up the front end
While your over there Mick get Blue Ox to make some plates for the Euro cars
And tell them there plate kit doesnt fit the Jeep Comander with the diesel engine in it:Doh:
The intercooler is in the way:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your dead right John after being assured there is only one set up for the jeep and finding it didnt fit, sent us on a tinterweb search only to discover the diesel is not an American option:Eeek:
so in a way for them the plate kit did fit all (except the diesel version):thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Yupp Mine is a Blue Ox on our Jeep Grand Cherokee with a B Buddy.::bigsmile:

I just take out the cross beam and it leaves virually nothing showing. :thumb:

Stop being so bloody lazy and take it off if it concerns you!!! :ROFLMAO:

The USA systems make the crap UK stuff look like something my 12 year old daughter cobbled together in the shed :Eeek:

So much for the UK being the engineering capital of the world :Doh::cry:

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Yupp Mine is a Blue Ox on our Jeep Grand Cherokee with a B Buddy.::bigsmile:

Stop being so bloody lazy and take it off if it concerns you!!! :ROFLMAO:

The USA systems make the crap UK stuff look like something my 12 year old daughter cobbled together in the shed :Eeek:

Dazzer,

I agree 100% regarding the comparison of the US A frame tow system to the meccano style UK stuff, the Yanks should be given a Queens Award to Industry............:Smile:

The cover also supports a licence plate location so preventing any body work.:thumb:

Mick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

I agree 100% regarding the comparison of the US A frame tow system to the meccano style UK stuff, the Yanks should be given a Queens Award to Industry............:Smile:

I've never seen a BlueOx A frame so can't comment on it, but I disagree about the UK frames being crap, the Car A Tow frame I have is well designed, constructed and easy to use. Don't recognise the Meccano analogy..

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I've never seen a BlueOx A frame so can't comment on it, but I disagree about the UK frames being crap, the Car A Tow frame I have is well designed, constructed and easy to use. Don't recognise the Meccano analogy..

The HUGE downside to the UK system is the fact that it takes 2 people to connect it to the M/H. The USA system is a genuine 1 person system that negates the need to align the tow car exactly in line with the tow ball. The USA system lets you get anywhere within a foot and is capable of towing much heavier vehicles (my jeep weights nearly 2 tonnes!!!).

The USA system is also a totally DIY fit, it took me 30 mins to fit mine and it doesnt rely on a towball which has got to be a good thing:thumb:

Jim next time you find an RV using a USA system ask em to show it you, once you see it in action you will understand exactly what we mean:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The HUGE downside to the UK system is the fact that it takes 2 people to connect it to the M/H. The USA system is a genuine 1 person system that negates the need to align the tow car exactly in line with the tow ball. The USA system lets you get anywhere within a foot and is capable of towing much heavier vehicles (my jeep weights nearly 2 tonnes!!!).

The USA system is also a totally DIY fit, it took me 30 mins to fit mine and it doesnt rely on a towball which has got to be a good thing:thumb:

Jim next time you find an RV using a USA system ask em to show it you, once you see it in action you will understand exactly what we mean:thumb:

Fair comment and I will look out for one..

but it doesn't mean the UK bars are crap .. they maybe different or not as easy to align, but in saying that I can hitch mine myself .. then again I only have a tiny car that's easy to push into final position .. not a 2 ton monster :roflmto::roflmto:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Fair comment and I will look out for one..

but it doesn't mean the UK bars are crap .. they maybe different or not as easy to align, but in saying that I can hitch mine myself .. then again I only have a tiny car that's easy to push into final position .. not a 2 ton monster :roflmto::roflmto:

When you compare the 2 systems you will probably agree with me :winky: The USA system is a very cleverly designed well thought out and built heavy duty system, where as the UK version looks like its been designed on the back of a fag packet, using the cheapest, lightest parts available, and knocked together in some blokes lunch hour:Blush:

Having said that when the USA & Russian space exploration departments finally got together for a chat the USA guys were bragging and showing off the pen they designed to work and use in space, it cost over $1 million to develop and was really sleek and sexy and would even write underwater:Eeek:. When asked how the Russians got over the huge problem of using a pen that actually worked reliably in space they pulled out a pencil :Doh::ROFLMAO: !!!!!

Oh yes and you need to get a 2 tonne monster :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:, then you would have a really good excuse to change to the USA A frame system :thumb:

Have a look here for a good demonstration of the USA type system

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwy5QGLkAAE[/ame]

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Having said that when the USA & Russian space exploration departments finally got together for a chat the USA guys were bragging and showing off the pen they designed to work and use in space, it cost over $1 million to develop and was really sleek and sexy and would even write underwater:Eeek:. When asked how the Russians got over the huge problem of using a pen that actually worked reliably in space they pulled out a pencil :Doh::ROFLMAO: !!!!!

An urban legend snopes.com: NASA Space Pen

maybe the BlueOx is a US legend ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back