Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Went for the yearly parting of cash today. VOSA call it the MOT test. But hey, problems! (Not with the truck, it flew through).
The problem is getting the new MOT registered on the official web site. My garage says that once again today, the system is 'down'. They have only had four days full working in the last three weeks. That means you have to carry around a temporary certificate issued in ink from your garage, in case your stopped by the police. It goes further then that, as the police database goes down with the system, so they cant check who has or has not a current certificate.
"Pop back next week, and if it's back up, we can give you the official pass notification" said the garage.
Great. :(

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Had mine done on Tuesday and the system was working OK then - must be pot luck.

Dave

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Another government IT disaster. It's been mentioned in the professional computer and IT press several times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Also had a "temporary one" but waited a couple of days and checked up to see if the M/H was Rego and it was, so MOT went thro, garage sent it by post the next day.

Better explain; no MOT! no rego!

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Been really lucky

MOT on both car and Moho last week, both on the website within 24hrs,

Luck of the draw I guess

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Used to be much better when you could buy your MOT certificates down the pub. :) There always seemed to be someone with a book full.
Ah yes, and a Guinness label as a tax disc. Those were the days ...........
Not that I remember of course, my dad told me about them. :whistle:

This was another post by the ever youthful Badknee :p

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Just as a matter of interest I noticed on my tax disc renewal form they send that as mine is on a 4250kg PLGV (£165 tax) something about an MOT but only if carrying goods etc
My vechicle is 2 yrs old at the end of this month, am I right in thinking its 3 yrs before I need an MOT
Sorry to hijack your thread toots, but being number 1, didn't think you would mind

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Just as a matter of interest I noticed on my tax disc renewal form they send that as mine is on a 4250kg PLGV (£165 tax) something about an MOT but only if carrying goods etc
My vechicle is 2 yrs old at the end of this month, am I right in thinking its 3 yrs before I need an MOT
Sorry to hijack your thread toots, but being number 1, didn't think you would mind

If 4250kg should be PHGV MOT @ 3 Years if not carring goods for burden.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002

If 4250kg should be PHGV MOT @ 3 Years if not carrying goods for burden.

Sorry about double post
Steve

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Used to be much better when you could buy your MOT certificates down the pub. :) There always seemed to be someone with a book full.

Indeedy.......the good old days:) kept many a teenager on the road those good Samaritans:censored:

My friends an MOT tester says new computer system is causing mayhem...

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
yep we had to go back for a certificate on sons car as the system was down then it went down while we were collecting the replacement certificate......

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never had to buy a certificate iny youth......we all knew which garage to use.

One banger verbally failed on antiroll bar bush's...went home and took the whole bar off then went back to finish the test.
It passed, logic being if it aint there it can't be tested

Tester/proprietor was known to us as "near enough"...that'll do, it's near enough.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
First car 1962 - first MOT - asked when to take it down to the garage - guy looked at me all strange - asked for 5 shillings and my MOT was on the front door mat next morning !! Back then it was lights steering and brakes. back then it was known as the 'Ten year Test' as it was only applicable to vehicles over 10 years old. That rapidly changed to include more items and vehicle over 3 year old

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our local MOT station actually had to stop doing MOT's due the IT issues last week, back log is now a nightmare

Where would you stand if you needed to tax your MH or car, with the new system we are setup on continuous renewal, presumably they will not issue tax if they cant see the MOT

You could take the MOT and renewal to a PO, but then I can see the DVLA double taxing it when the system comes back on line :(

Hopefully will not apply to too many people :)

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Where would you stand if you needed to tax your MH or car, with the new system we are setup on continuous renewal, presumably they will not issue tax if they cant see the MOT
That's a very valid point mate. (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I remember during a budget speech, George Osbourne ( remember him?) Stated that new vehicles would form then on only require MOT test after FOUR years, I have never heard anything about it since then, Does anybody know about this or hear it at the time?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I can remember when MOT first came out,,think it was 15 shilling if you took the vehicle for test but for 30 shillings you could get the pass without them seeing it...Happy days,,,BUSBY.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I remember during a budget speech, George Osbourne ( remember him?) Stated that new vehicles would form then on only require MOT test after FOUR years, I have never heard anything about it since then, Does anybody know about this or hear it at the time?
This proposal was subject to a consultation earlier this year. I do not believe there are firm plans to bring this in yet. We have a three year limit as the UK chose to implement the EU testing directive at its most restrictive level rather than going for a longer initial period than many other Member States. The directive also allow Member States to have a two year period between tests (I believe they do this in France for instance) but, again, UK decided to go for the shortest period hence we have annual testing after three years.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought that I heard that but never heard anything since, typical UK go for the shortest period possible to maximise the revenues.. My little bike cost more for the MOT than the road tax also the insurance. It only does a few miles a year, 80 max. It is only to live in the MH garage for a ships tender.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
My little bike doesn't need an MOT,,,,BUSBY:):)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
So that will be rear fog lights left on for two years instead of one, brake lights not working, headlights out, bald tyres all for two years. I'll stick with annual thanks, if there's something wrong under there I want to know about it asap.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
So that will be rear fog lights left on for two years instead of one, brake lights not working, headlights out, bald tyres all for two years. I'll stick with annual thanks, if there's something wrong under there I want to know about it asap.
i,m still confused . mot . yearly on a vehicle thats not a m,bike . ha ha .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Same here,,nice to know alls ok with your van.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back