LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Tried my Eberspacher heater out for first time yesterday. I have just one knob to turn it on & off and it goes up from warm to hot. No sign of any thermostat to control it. It runs of of my fuel tank. It seems very noisey from outside. I wouldn't want to upset any neighbouring camper vans. Has anyone got experience of these? (y)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if correctly fitted the tap off for fuel is at least a quarter of the way up the tank to prevent you from running the tank dry. They are noisey so don't park too close to other vans, great heaters though and would love one again. Mine had a thermostat built into the switch.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have the Webasto (same thing) and have used it without problem right next to other MH's in France and around UK. There will be a thermostat somewhere in your MH around drivers cab I think and the knob is controlled by this. it is best to turn knob round fully on allow heater to go through it's checks and then about 10 minutes later adjust know to heat setting. They should be "run up" every now and then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
ours is a webasto and the run off for the fuel is way too high IMO.. ther's a lot of fuel left when it gives the flashy flashy to indicate it's run dry.. other than that we turn it on about 1/2 way and it does it's whirry clicky checks then takes off and flies round a bit till it gets comfy toasty inside then lands and sits in the back purring gently..

I assume that's what it does anyway based on the noise.. I've never been out to watch it fly round cos it's cold out there (which is why the heating's on)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Sounds like you have the D2 version, you can get thermostats and timers to control them but at a price. They work very well as is though and use about 0.1LT per hour when running. They are noisy outside even with an intake and exhaust silencer fitted (serves them right if they pitch a tent right by your van but at least they would get some heat from your exhaust). You will hear the pump ticking inside the van but are very quiet inside if you can find the sweet spot and get it to run slowly without too many on/off cycles and use about 0.5amp although up to 8 or 9 amps to start up. The Webasto is a different beast altogether and can be a bit temperamental although I understand they are quieter.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Has it got the silencer fitted outside on inlet & exhaust?, ours had single control knob which was a Rheostat control switch for temp in one unit. we loved it, had the control with in reach of the bed, just pop it on 5min before we got up (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As above, you can get a silencer for them. You would think they would always be fitted but not so.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Tried my Eberspacher heater out for first time yesterday. I have just one knob to turn it on & off and it goes up from warm to hot. No sign of any thermostat to control it. It runs of of my fuel tank. It seems very noisey from outside. I wouldn't want to upset any neighbouring camper vans. Has anyone got experience of these? (y)

Hi.. I've got the hydronic heater with the deluxe control panel.. It uses water in a primary heating circuit to provide blown hot air and hot water heating..
Not sure if yours is an air tonic providing just blown air heating,but if it is the hydronic and you have any specific questions I may be able to help..
I'm pleased with mine but it is considered noisy by some folk...It doesn't bother me..had one service in 3 yrs and been reliable up to now..
Andy.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Webasto have been fitted to trucks for years, have has Eberspacher they are both much of a muchness. Both work excellently running at approx 0.2 ltrs per hour on full tilt but rarely do so. At the beginning they whir/click and go through their safety checks after which its full tilt till they attain the pre set heat and then slow down to a "tick over" slowly changing speed after that to adapt to temperature changes. Do regular checks on the inlet filters as they tend to block with fluff and dust, ensure the exhaust is correctly placed to ensure no rick for exhaust gasses and other than that they are excellent. Running on diesel rather than the gas in my opinion is another plus and the reliability again excellent. Run them up for 15/20 minutes per month to keep everything in order and in YEARS of truck driving in bloody cold weather (minus 15-20) in Scotland etc never had a problem, tis something I am seriously considering fitting to our MH

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Eberspacher

If you want to complain, go in person, they do not answer emails. I tried 20 times over 6 weeks no reply yet, over 4 months ago. Just bin it and put it down to experience, like most German products all fur coats and no knickers.
Start of your list Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagon, now Eberspacher, (my aircon tits up, van only done 16,000 miles Air con used probably couple of hours plus testing very month or so) component quality control non existant !

OP
OP
appydaze

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Actually it wasn't me complaining....... just a bit of knowledge to find out how it works,thats all

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ours is the same. I tend to whack it up full ( noisy to start with) then gradually turn it down a bit until you get to the temperature that you are happy with It takes a bit of trial and error to get it right. They do sort of hum in the background but we have got used to it and enjoy the warmth, they are very effective and the toilet becomes a lovely warm place to visit in the night :)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Ours is the same. I tend to whack it up full ( noisy to start with) then gradually turn it down a bit until you get to the temperature that you are happy with It takes a bit of trial and error to get it right. They do sort of hum in the background but we have got used to it and enjoy the warmth, they are very effective and the toilet becomes a lovely warm place to visit in the night :)
Ours has been fitted with three vents all under the bed.. I was thinking about 're-routing some of them and especially putting one into the bathroom but I think that will make it harder to get the shower fitted..

Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
Very good heater but, as already commented, are noisy.
On a cold day I will go and start our one up in the van about half an hour before we go out. (Well the neighbours should be up by then)
Lovely warm van to get into. Great for winter "picnics" in the van.

Found it to be heavy on leisure battery use so not much good if you are without hook up, or other means of charging, for a weekend. Got just two days out of it with sporadic use.
One of those conundrums. In those circumstances is it better to leave it running at a low rate or to turn it on and off but have the high consumption on start up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back