scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
my brotherinlaw has just returned from france in a Citreon van conversion (registered campervan) he was in convoy with a Citreon Van identical but just registered as van "at the toll he was charged twice as much for camper compared to Van,is this right i thought it was other way round,many thanks in advance.Scotty

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The toll classes are based on the type, weight and height of vehicle:

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

If your BIL thought he was being charged the wrong class he could have pressed the button and queried it.

Motorhomes usually seem to be charged as Class 2 whatever. We should be Class 3 but have never been charged it.

Reactions: LAM
OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Thanks for the link.it shows he was overcharged and should of pressed button and said campercar although the chart se's both vans in group 2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Under 3 mtrs are we all group 2

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hmmm, were 3.2 do they have height sensors do you know?

Think they must have. When you drive up to an automatic one that gives you the ticket, it pops out of a high level slot when you're in a motorhome.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Under 3 mtrs are we all group 2

No.....only if 3500 kg and under. But! as others said you can get away with it by pressing button.

yes they have height sensors - over 3 m and its more money....

french toll charges scandalous! compared to Italy, Spain etc....:(

OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Even your arial will break the beam,i think

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Reminder. Must take the 'Spike' off the aerial before we go.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We are at 3.2 high, we get through on class 2 ,only once they gave us a class3 .i pressed the button told them camping car,class 2 no problem. Don't be frightened to press the button lol.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
No.....only if 3500 kg and under. But! as others said you can get away with it by pressing button.

yes they have height sensors - over 3 m and its more money....

french toll charges scandalous! compared to Italy, Spain etc....:(

To be pedantic if your MH is up to 2.99m you will be class 2. From 3.00m and above you should be class 3 unless you have a motorhome as the French have a soft spot for 'camping cars' in general.

Every automatic toll booth will measure your height, generally aerials are not picked up but of course top boxes, sat domes etc etc will be. The private companies who own these in the main superb motorways do allow you to query a class 3 cost if you are a camping car.

The most poplar French motorways or those in more prosperous areas charge more per kilometre than other areas, also time of day, peak holiday times and middle of the night can alter the fixed charge over a set distance although this doesn't happen often. They also keep trucks off the motorways during holiday weekends too to make your journey more pleasant. I think you get what you pay for if you want to cover a distance from A to B

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think you get what you pay for if you want to cover a distance from A to B

I beg to differ as the French charges for private campers are outrageous. Italy for instance: difference between cars and campers (class 1 - 2) approx 10 cents:rolleyes:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I beg to differ as the French charges for private campers are outrageous. Italy for instance: difference between cars and campers (class 1 - 2) approx 10 cents:rolleyes:
Wow, so much. Well done Italy. :whistle:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
The point was that in general France has an unrivalled motorway network with quality of road surfaces, the physical amount of motorways, the quality of the various types of aires etc, but all this comes at a price. We Brits do not always accept that if you want the best that you have to pay for it, or sometimes we demand the best and not prepared to pay at all.

I must emphasise that there are quite stark differences between French motorway charges in different regions, we try never to use motorways from Calais to Burgundy and further south as they are too expensive, but of course coming from Britain they are popular routes if heading further south.

Anyway, just my opinions...

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The signs at the tollbooths clearly show large ( over 3m high) Camping cars as class 3. We are just on 3 m high, but over 3500kg and have always been class 2 except when we're going over the Pont de Normandie a while ago when we're charged as class 3, we queried it and they charged us class 1.
Result

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years

Like just about everything in France, they have both the economic product, N and D roads, and the quality product, toll roads.
I don't see the argument of choosing to use a toll road and then complaining about the cost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back