Poor Hymer support, lucky it is only the clock (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Now I know there are much bigger things worthy of moaning about, but this was more of a minor annoyance, until I tried to mend it, now I am finding the customer service rather disappointing

Some time ago the clock in our Hymer S class stopped working, almost certainly only the 99p quartz mechanics on the back, but as I found out when you remove that the hands fall off and are captive inside the stuck on plastic front

So, try and find a new clock, asked Hambiltons at last service, they never got back to me, so eBay, Brownhills are selling some as part of their Hymer parts clear out, ordered, supplied, doesn't fit. Got an email from Brownhills to say it wont fit, Hymer have sent them the wrong clocks, returned for full credit (nice one Brownhills) I was going to write it off (£20)

Rang Lowdhams being my nearest Hymer agent, special order, needs to be prepaid £30, when arrived got exactly the same 'wrong' one that Brownhills had sent, wrapped in a Hymer bag with Hymer part number on though

So, emailed Lowdhams, they emailed Hymer, Hymer say it does fit, I know and repeat 'no it doesnt'. The lettering is also a totally different style to the adjacent dials, but I could live with that. In reality I doubt I ever look at the damn clock, but I do like things to work if fitted

Hymer repeat their claim that it does fit, and implying I should be grateful they have found an alternative, some of that may have been lost in translation but it is how it reads in their reply to Lowdhams

Sent: 28 August 2015 07:28
To: Parts Counter
Subject: WG: Hymer Parts 42081014

Hi Wayne,

Unfortunately the original clock isn’t available anymore at all.

We have searched a lot to find any replacement. We were lucky to find a clock which matches to the original part, though unfortunately there is no “HYMER” anymore.

But we accept this lack in design in order to be able to deliver a clock at all.

I’m afraid!

They did offer an alternative but when I read the spec it was 60mm dia mine is 100mm, they have had my serial number, so frustrating, made worse by looking in another funsters S class recently, 2013 registered I think, but still fitted with the same clock. I thought suppliers were obliged to keep spares for a few years

As I started I know it only a clock, but thank goodness it is, I am going to find a new quartz workings and live without the plastic front

Lowdhams have agreed to credit the 'wrong' clock but can offer no solution as Hymer insist it fits :mad:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
First port of call for best responses would German dealers, well worth emailing a few may find one that has one lurking in their stock.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A deep lack of empathy, let alone sympathy for my horology quandary, I am disappointed nobody has a spare clock tucked away somewhere :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You need to breathe deep, sit back and chill. So what... would be my attitude to the situation.

Will make yourself ill...Your becoming fixated over nothing man!:D

Have you looked at getting it repaired...

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You need to breathe deep, sit back and chill. So what... would be my attitude to the situation.

Will make yourself ill...Your becoming fixated over nothing man!:D

Have you looked at getting it repaired...

I was pretty much 'chilled' until I decided to change the clock :)

Mending is not really a full solution as the plastic front is glued on and now broken by clumsy removal, :whistle: but as in my OP I will probably now buy a new quartz movement probably for pennies and live without the cover, which I have done for months now already

The angst has been caused by Hymers inability to supply a part and then their refusal to accept that the part offered is wrong

I am over it really, just sharing, as a forum is for maybe? Had it been a critical part it might have stopped a holiday maybe, depending on what we are prepared to do without I guess, but the wrong water pump or incorrect window could make a holiday more difficult, it was the principle I was highlighting (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi David
Thinking outside the box....
Have you looked on EBay
Loads of clock inserts and bezels, all different sizes
I found these at 100mm dia, but there are others
Broken Link Removed

Hope this helps ?

Robert

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi David
Have you looked on EBay
Broken Link Removed

Hope this helps ?

Robert

To easy for heavens sake!!!:D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
How old is your Hymer David and how long would you expect a manufacturer to stock spares for?

My MH was a 2007 build, but I was in a 2013 820S at a rally last month, fitted with exactly the same clock, so that boosted my expectations that they would still have one, if I owned the 2013 Mh and it failed I would not be pleased if they couldn't supply one under warranty let alone paid for

If Hymer had said they couldn't get one I would be happier than being sold one which does not fit but they insist definitely does

Its no big deal really but I wouldn't like to be waiting for something critical

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David
Have you looked on EBay
Broken Link Removed

Hope this helps ?

Robert

Thanks Robert, will have a further investigation, I tend to go for the easy dealer option, maybe time to change who I trust / use (y)
]

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @DavidG58 send it to me and I will fix it for you, the quarts clock is on about 3 quid from Maplins, sure I can get it open somehow.

Otherwise there is always somebody at outdoor shows that just does clocks and barometers.

Martin

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I will presume the green smiley makes this a more 'fun' post than I first read, :unsure: you don't have to read or reply to my posts if you find them tiresome :(
Tiresome? Not a bit of it find the subject enthralling! To be honest I thought you were a David that was in Benidorm last spring...he can hack a bit of banter.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
David, set the time to G&T o'clock. The time will always be correct. Best wishes from St Tropez.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, set the time to G&T o'clock. The time will always be correct. Best wishes from St Tropez.

Very jealous, last time we were down that way we discovered Port Grimaud, a lovely little port / marina, it was 20 years ago so may have changed, did you go down from Annecy via Gorges Du Verdon, that is one of the most amazing geographical sights we have come across. If not already seen it's worth considering driving back that way, save on tolls as well (y)

Have fun the pair of you, actually both pairs of you :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Very jealous, last time we were down that way we discovered Port Grimaud, a lovely little port / marina, it was 20 years ago so may have changed, did you go down from Annecy via Gorges Du Verdon, that is one of the most amazing geographical sights we have come across. If not already seen it's worth considering driving back that way, save on tolls as well (y)

Have fun the pair of you, actually both pairs of you :)

Hi David

You have to cycle through/around the gorges du Verdon to really appreciate the scale "and the bloody hills", we did it some years ago with a tent and some younger legs that we have now.

Memorable trip.

Martin

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
How old is your Hymer David and how long would you expect a manufacturer to stock spares for?
when i rana vw garage i was always told german manufacturers have to guarantee 20 years of spares from the last one that used that part. that was vehicle spares shame the m,home manufacturers arent that good .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back