• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED Kon tiki 655, bessacarr 745 e, (1 Viewer)

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi , we are looking to buy one of the above motorhomes next year, and just thought I would post on here now so that if anyone is thinking of selling theirs next year they will let me know .
Thanks Diane

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Oh dear why do you say that?

just joking.. but read the tech/mech forums.. you will get some idea of the problems owners encounter..

British vans have a poor reputation for water ingress and damp .. but Continental are not immune either ..

Motorhomes are complex vehicles, and whatever marque you buy they ALL need a fair amount of ongoing maintenance and repairs.. being handy with a tool box is almost essential .. otherwise it's down to the dealers with all the hassle and cost that entails..

Jim's guide to buying a van is well worth buying.. find it in the Fun shop.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
The thing you must check with all swift and bessacarr around that age is the plywood under the floor! Swift in there wisdom used a floor with a vinyl or polythene film and as they had not sealed the side skirts properly water got behind and penetrated between the ply and film and in some cases caused severe rot!
Swift repaired many floors even out of warrenty F O C but no more.
Just google swift rotten floor.
We had a 745e lovely well put together van other than the floor.
Ours was 6 years old with only 9000 miles on clock when we purchased in 2012 but after 3 months found the dreaded rotten floor. Swift agreed to do the repairs but our dealer had to pay £2000.00 towards the cost which he covered. We where not very happy with the quality of swifts work and lost faith in the van so sold it after 2 years, back to dealer we purchased from.
So please check under floor when purchasing as this does not normally come in habitation checks. Ours had all habitation checks but no one had checked under floor.
Now gone back to a German motorhome, our 3rd

Steve

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
The thing you must check with all swift and bessacarr around that age is the plywood under the floor! Swift in there wisdom used a floor with a vinyl or polythene film and as they had not sealed the side skirts properly water got behind and penetrated between the ply and film and in some cases caused severe rot!
Ours was 6 years old with only 9000 miles on clock when we purchased in 2012 but after 3 months found the dreaded rotten floor. Swift agreed to do the repairs but our dealer had to pay £2000.00 towards the cost which he covered. We where not very happy with the quality of swifts work and lost faith in the van so sold it after 2 years, back to dealer we purchased from.
So please check under floor when purchasing as this does not normally come in habitation checks. Ours had all habitation checks but no one had checked under floor.

Steve
My mechanic purchased a brand new Swift in 2012. A rotten floor was diagnosed at the second habitation check. The floor has had significant repairs under warranty and appears to be in good order now. I think he would px or sell it if it wasn't for the significant financial lose he'd suffer.
Care certainly needs to be taken when purchasing (I guess that's the same with any home though !)

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie

Steve
Thank you I will certainly look at it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back