Wild tour of the West Coast of Scotland (1 Viewer)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Alright peeps, i'm hoping to tour the west coast ....right to the top.....i'm looking to experience wild camping and i'm looking for definitive spots to camp on my tour from Kyle of Lochalsh up to Durness. Along top and back down probably through Lairg to Inverness.

No time constraints......going soon probably next week. I want to be able to wild camp if i come across a nice place and would love to know where to camp for the night....without having to search for pitches in an unknown place.

Places to wild camp/stopover. Would be very much appreciated.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
On this site you will find a map of Scotland places to stop.
Lots up the West coast and beyond, and this is not all of them.
HERE

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Checkout some of the threads in the Scotland section of UK Touring (i.e. where you've posted). Some ideas there, including the Wild Camping forum which we use(especially Keiths contribution above).

Generally, apart from private land, you can legally park almost anywhere but as always should have consideration for the locals. There is some question also of the legality of "No Overnight Parking" signs - checkout that thread too. The only difficulty tends to be obtaining water and getting rid of waste; we usually use a site every few days if we have problems.

We're headed that way next week too, probably Mull for a week first then on up to Skye and then wherever the mood takes us. Will keep an eye open for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Bobby if your on Facebook there's a great wildcamping page there.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
On your way back down to Inverness please stop at Tarbat Discovery Centre, Portmahomack. See Broken Link Removed thread.

KH

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Generally, apart from private land, you can legally park almost anywhere

How would you know what is publicly owned .. ?

Most of the land in Scotland is Private.. and there are no 'rights' for motorhomes to park or camp on it..

The Land Reform Act Scotland ( commonly called the 'right to roam' act ) specifically excludes caravans and motorised vehicles.

Scotland has the most inequitable land ownership in the west. Why? http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/aug/10/scotland-land-rights

Scotland-map-blue2.png

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Generally, apart from private land, you can legally park almost anywhere but as always should have consideration for the locals. There is some question also of the legality of "No Overnight Parking" signs - checkout that thread too.
Publicly owned land generally means lay-bys and, in that respect, the law is the same as the rest of the UK. See Here.
The controversy over No Overnight signs a few years ago arose because Highland Council put them in place to deter what was seen as nuisance camping but, to save money, did not back them with a legal order. Those signs are supposed to have all been removed so, in general, if signs are in place now they have the backing of local legislation.
There are very few publicly owned car parks where camping is legal, most parking orders ban it.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Here is a'frienly' website to visit which gives you loads of information about the Broken Link Removed and the surrounding area.

Motorhomers are welcome to stay the night in our car park, we have room for a couple of MHs. Please pop into the centre whilst you are there. We are in a lovely spot on the outskirts of Portmahomack where there is a nice harbour, fantastic beach, local shop and pub and restaurant.

TDC is owned by the local community so you won't be troubled by angry estate owners! :D

KH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back