Austria (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I am a little confused about travelling through Austria.
We are a tag van, and 5t.

We are planning to go straight thro Austria, on the motorway , without stopping.

Do I need a go box, where do I get one.

As always thanks.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
You do need a Go Box if you use their toll motorways and you can purchase it from any service station before entering Austria (y) I drove our Tag through Austria not touching any toll road with no trouble at all. Some of the nicest scenery I've ever seen and we will be going back there in the future ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's wrong I'm afraid. You can only use a vignette if you are under 3500kg.

Over that to use the motorways you have to use a GoBox. You need to buy it preferably before you get to Austria. They are available at motorway services on pretty much all the routes to Austria. You have to get a prepay one which will cost you €80. You can cash it back in when you leave if there's anything left on it.

If you can avoid motorways completely you don't need anything but this isn't always possible, it depends on your route so you need to be careful. For example the Brenner Pass route from Italy is toll immediately. It isn't possible to use this route without paying.

More info here: Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's wrong I'm afraid. You can only use a vignette if you are under 3500kg.

Over that to use the motorways you have to use a GoBox. You need to buy it preferably before you get to Austria. They are available at motorway services on pretty much all the routes to Austria. You have to get a prepay one which will cost you €80. You can cash it back in when you leave if there's anything left on it.

If you can avoid motorways completely you don't need anything but this isn't always possible, it depends on your route so you need to be careful. For example the Brenner Pass route from Italy is toll immediately. It isn't possible to use this route without paying.

More info here: Broken Link Removed

I stand corrected and altered accordingly but the Brenner Pass is drivable on the ordinary road in a Tag as that's exactly the way we went to Italy.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I stand corrected on the Vignette but the Brenner Pass is drivable on the ordinary road in a Tag as that's exactly the way we went to Italy.

In that case I stand corrected (y) I didn't think you could use that road.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Did you know there's a lap dancing bar at the top of the Brenner Pass? My wife & daughter had the shock of their lives when they saw all these scantily clad women entering the building right opposite the petrol station :Eeek:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No but I do now. :D I might do that way instead of on the motorway next time.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Arrived Zell am See this morning. Came in via A road so no need for GoBox. Problem being its been teaming it down most of the day! Let's hop for some better weather over the next few days. Route in via A8 Munich - Saltzburg, 306, 178 then 311.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Can confirm that Diesel is cheaper in Austria, I thought whas t'other way around. Big mistake got my ear bent by co-pilot!

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Can confirm that Diesel is cheaper in Austria, I thought whas t'other way around. Big mistake got my ear bent by co-pilot!

I paid 1 Euro 3-7 cents a litre for Diesel in Austria. Italy was around 1 Euro 40-50 cents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back