Advance booking. (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
New to this so need advice of the experienced. How far in advance does one need to book a site? Days ? Weeks? Months? Whats the general view. Obviously things are quieter out of peak season. How far in advance will a site take a booking? Can one negotiate for longer term/seasonal deals?:Smile:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
the CC site in York (and some others) about six months, most sites in school hols and bank hols about three months.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
having to book in advance takes the freedom out of a motorhome.

we just arrive and if they cant fit us in we just go to the next site.

the CC sites usually cant fit you in on spec so we avoid them and go for private sites. they dont like turning trade away so usually find a pitch.

maybe not the best pitch but we only stay for one night anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Pappajohn, wheres the freedom in bouncing from site to site & ending up somewhere you dont want to be?

that IS the freedom.....come and go as you please.

you book a site for 2,3,4,7 days and its full of chavs and thier screaming kids your stuck with it or move and forget what its cost in advanced booking fees/deposits.

only done it once in south wales.....booked for two nights...stayed for one very short night.....five and six year old kids running round at midnight screaming and squarking, banging on vans, where were the parents....probably pi**ed. never again.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
that IS the freedom.....come and go as you please.

you book a site for 2,3,4,7 days and its full of chavs and thier screaming kids your stuck with it or move and forget what its cost in advanced booking fees/deposits.

only done it once in south wales.....booked for two nights...stayed for one very short night.....five and six year old kids running round at midnight screaming and squarking, banging on vans, where were the parents....probably pi**ed. never again.

I know exactly what you mean...we've stayed at a site like that before when we were camping. Kids up until 2am screaming. 13 year olds legless, and the boy staying next to us got his head smashed against the fence in the play park by older kids (I think he was only 6 or 7!!):Angry:
We've got a list of sites that we wouldn't go to again.....bigger than the list of ones we would!!!
When we take the our son we always book, but if we manage to get away just the two of us then it is nice to just go and see where we end up.......
CL sites have always been good actually....no club house and only 5 units allowed to stay so never had problems with kids there.:thumb:

With regard to how long in advance to book....I think it depends on so many things...site, location, time of year....we had real trouble with Aug bank hol last year. Tried booking and wanted to stay fairly close to the coast...started around Christchurch and called every site I could find a listing for....didn't find an available pitch until we got to Dawlish!!! (And that was the site I mention above!)
Basically, if you need to book, then always do it as soon as you can is my advice. But I do like the way papajohn does it.

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Apparently there's far more vans etc than pitches now...and what with the credit crunch.....:cry:

Can't get a pitch for love nor money.

Might just cancel C&cc membership now.:Angry:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Each to thier own but we always like to be booked, searching around doesn't appeal but at 28ft now I feel it's sencible. Eventually we'll jump the channel and plan on some booking and a bit of see where we end up, something to do with the other side of the channel being a bit more MH friendly, info gleened from this here forum.

Last minute bookings can be tedious but you'll usually find somewhere and we've been lucky so far, though there was one site we we're glad we were off season, sea (bay) front with amusment arcades and a pub designed to be cleaned and repainted quickly:Eeek:

Trusty big sites books (C&CC) is always with us and there's the advantage of MHs/RVs, easy to up sticks and move if the sites a nightmare.
Si.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Book ahead as soon as you know your plans! And do not forget that "out of season" can mean different times in various places. Most sites will be prepared to offer long term rates - we've just has a second booking this year for a six month stay, so we must be doing something right!

Bob and Di

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back