Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As already said in another thread I tried to download windows 10 and it failed twice after which microsoft put a notice bottom right of the screen that my windows 7 proff was not legitimate.
I had been updating for months and the system was checked for validity when I reserved it. At the same time I noticed malware bytes would not allow the check for malicious website check box to be ticked. I updated malware bytes (it is a paid for version) and ran a scan, nothing found, so ran an AVG scan nothing found. Skype had also been dropping out recently so suspected a conflict of some sort. Annoyed that my windows had been branded illegal I decided to phone microsoft support and found an 0800 number to ring. Got through to an ITGuru in India and explained the problem. No worries he said we will sort it and load windows 10 for you. So he ported in and "searched for the conflict that was causing the problem", well actually no they did not the search program renamed all of the files I might need to sort out a problem and effectively lock the computer. They then said ah yes I see the problem and for a nominal sum we will sort it for you. (nominal sum = £80) no thank you I said and hung up, at which point malware bytes report a password logging trojan. and dozens of files with a virus. I shut down and disconnected the modem.
Then offline I rebooted and foolishly deleted all of the "infected "files which with hindsight I presume had only been renamed. I could not open or run anything.
Using the W7 proff setup disk I tried to repair, no joy, restore to an earlier time, no joy, In the end I decided to sacrifice my files and reinstall completely. My old files were saved, interestingly dos programs and directories were unaffected and remained intact. I suspect my photos and documents are still on the disk someplace. I have not been brave enough to book it up with the router connected.
Another laptop was booted and passwords to google, Amazon, ebay and paypal were changed. I shall only use the other computer to list programs that I need to reinstal, then delete the old files. I don't trust it even with a fresh install as I did not format the drive. I may play safe and just replace the drive to be sure and forget Win 10. Having said that this second lappy is reporting ready to install win 10, I reall don't think I'll bother until I have replaced the hard drive in the other one, 500gb hardrive will then be formatted and just used for a backup drive or scrapped.
The Microsoft support was obviously a scam site and with the 0800 number I fell for it. Unfortunatly I forget the name of the firm but it was something GURU. Be careful out there.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nasty, but remember there are things which hide from a format, they mark themselves as bad sectors is one strategy used. Then when it is dark they creep out, so to speak.

I would buy a new hard disc and forget the old one. If there are files on it you need you could pay someone to recover them, or use the money to sort out a backup system which will reduce the chances of being in this position again.

It really is a jungle out there.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Nasty, but remember there are things which hide from a format, they mark themselves as bad sectors is one strategy used. Then when it is dark they creep out, so to speak.

I would buy a new hard disc and forget the old one. If there are files on it you need you could pay someone to recover them, or use the money to sort out a backup system which will reduce the chances of being in this position again.

It really is a jungle out there.
I'll not be lifting anything off of the drive, just using it as a reference to programs I had loaded, rather than wait until I need them. Then a bloody great sledge hammer jobbie I think, hee hee.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm staying with W7 , if it aint broke ..........

I was of the same opinion... until a couple of days ago, then my curious got the better of me.. so tried it out on my daughters laptop first.. :LOL:

but no problems and it looked good.. so have installed it on my desktop.. ( I had W7 Ultimate) again, no problems... download was fast and the update was painless..

Too early to say if it is better than 7 and but it has some nice features.. and to date haven't found any problems or issues with it..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I was of the same opinion... until a couple of days ago, then my curious got the better of me.. so tried it out on my daughters laptop first.. :LOL:

but no problems and it looked good.. so have installed it on my desktop.. ( I had W7 Ultimate) again, no problems... download was fast and the update was painless..

Too early to say if it is better than 7 and but it has some nice features.. and to date haven't found any problems or issues with it..

I've got my fingers burnt before and they do say curiosity killed the cat ::bigsmile::wink:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
up opened up the "infected" computer. After the reinstall of windows the old system was saved. Going into that I browsed through the files and found quite openly the company name. GURU AID, they are the ones to watch out for. To be fair it was me that contacted them by mistake. I did not give them the chance to restore my files as they found them. Although they had my email address I have not heard from them.They had installed a number of files on my machine, I deleted them and emptied the trash. Any Hidden files however will take longer to find. In the mean time no internet connection has been added with the setup. I found all of my documents and photos intact. So deleted all other files. I may well relegate that lappy to be a plotter design and printer driver with no exterior connections, that way it will be useable without further expense or worries about losing data.
I'll drop the photos and files onto a DVD or memory stick then scan it before transferring any files to my other harddrive.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Well putting Guru Aid into Google seems to bring up some [perhaps] surprising results - opinions seem to vary from being the 'best thing since sliced bread' to the 'worst nightmare in hell'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back