Wild Camping Habitation Batteries (1 Viewer)

DJK

Free Member
Jul 29, 2015
Bury Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E645
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I’m looking at doing a bit of wild camping and wondered what everyone thought about the batteries.

I’ve currently only got a 85AH habitation battery and was thinking about having 2, now do I go for another 85AH and have a pair the with the same AH or do I upgrade and put 2 x 110AH to be safe for the telly etc.

Your thoughts please

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Some reading for you, which will help you understand batteries:

Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Battery capacity doesnt matter, your charger only sees the combined capacity as one battery....85ah plus 110ah = 195ah battery.

Age DOES matter, a failing old one will reduce the usable total capacity of both.

Bite the bullet and buy 2 new ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Posted previously -

It depends on how you use them.
From my two 95A battery's I can watch TV ect for 3 hours a night without flattening the batter'y.
I don't consider a 4W loss to be significant.
I have 240V Smart TV and I am pretty sure you couldn't buy one on 12V. This TV also allows me to connect all kinds of USB devices with an HD picture and HD sound. A 100Gb hard drive full of films and TV series is a great bonus when you can't get a TV signal.
Driving to our next stop over the next day always fully charges battery's again.
We never use sites but have been known to run the engine at tick over for a couple hours if necessary and its still cheaper than a £20+ a night camp sites.
I wouldn't be without one because it provides so many more power options.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Find out the limit of your charger like mine is a Sargent PX -300 which says maximum 220amp, I would get 2 new ones upto the max ;)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've yet to put a dent in my 110a hab battery... When I got my van a few months ago I was tempted by the advice of get extra batteries, get solar etc...
...but I discovered that the existing appears to be sufficient for my needs.
My TV is 12v Finlux, I changed all the bulbs to LEDs... How much battery do you actually need?
TV & powered aerial, lights, water pump, electric step, recharging phone & tablet.
Don't do huge distances between stops. Stayed four nights at Lyndon Top on my shakedown trip without flattening it.
Find out how much you need before spending....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But a 110 will last longer than a 85 would it not
It depends on your usage and how you replenish what is used. Presumably you have a solar panel for the latter.

We have a 85Ah battery and a 80W solar panel and have no problems because our power requirements are modest - lights, water pump, recharging phones &c and heater fan in cold weather.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Would it be better to fit Gel batteries
It's been argued to death on here. There are camps on both sides and both convinced their choice is the best for them. I would suggest get the biggest capacity you can get which physically fits and the best warranty, three or four years.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Horses for courses - my sisters van, which is now 7 years old and has the original battery has never let her down when we have been at a Warners rally for 4 nights. Mine, which is 2 years old and has 2 x 100 Ah batteries has to run a compressor fridge hence I have had a 100wt solar panel fitted. Depending on the amount of time you will be static when wilding I would always go for the best your budget stretches to.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
In our last MH we had the webasto heating which seemed to drain our battery. We were forever running the engine. We upgraded to 2x110 batteries, changed MH to one with a gas heater and had a solar panel fitted. So far so good. :)

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Ive got one 85ah battery.Its the original one which was fitted new in 2004.I can wild camp for four days before i need to charge it,Admitedly i dont use tv.I listen to radio have changed lights to led.I have fridge on gas and heating on when needed.this is mainly in sprind to begining of autumn.one it gets past that its sites with hook up.I may be ready for a new battery next year.It all depends realy on what you want to do when wilding.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back