English cooking vocabulary (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
A the end of this week , on Saturday to be precise, I will start giving cookery lessons ...BUT it'll all be explained in English AHA!

Of course I do know already a few words (Stephen has been my main teacher @Stephen & Jeannie ) but I bet I will miss one or two at the wrong moment!!

So I thought may be those who practice a lot could help with "which ever word " you think of

When you fry , when you mix, when you have to wait , when making a sauce... which words come first to your mind?? Are there new words or is it still the same vocabulary you mum or granny used when you were a child?
I will teach more "salted" dishes than sweet ones. Mind you at some point I'll have to teach the Crème Anglaise, and indeed I'd like to teach it the right way!

I'm not afraid to learn hundred words or more.... Just tell me yours and I'll be happy!
Thanks in advance for your input, I promise I'll make the best of it

Amicalement

Frankie:)

PS : Yes I have English cooking books , but I do prefer to read what people usually say!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sauce englais....gravy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to say I am very impressed by what you are prepared to take on. Good for you and bon chance.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Gosh, that is a wide ranging question. :)

But I will have a go. Terms used for frying include "sweat" and "soften". For example if you add chopped onions to oil in a pan and gently heat them this is sometimes called to "sweat" them (where sweat rhymes with wet, not sweet). You could also say you are "softening" them. Other vegetable such as carrots can also be "sweated".

The term used for the dishes you called "salted" is I think "savoury". Savoury dishes are things like main course - meat, fish etc, not puddings, which as you say are sweet. Sweet and savoury are the two main types of dish.

Mixing might include words like "fold" where you add say beaten egg whites to a cake mixture. But if using a food processor then terms like "blitz" or "zap" might be used. If using a microwave (!) then "zap" could be used again or "nuke".

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You really don't want to go down the dripping route. Look at the size of the average English tourist in your country. It is a fat made from the bits of an animal they can't sell attached to meat. :)

Broken Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I've heard of that "dripping" thingy.... Can't remember having had some yet ! I have to pencil it of my "must do list"
Is it something you can only have at home?
dripping is the congealed meat juices and fat left after roasting beef

I used to have to know the french for so many cooking terms as my mother, grandmother & sister were all chefs. come home and ask what's for dinner and you had to decypher the reply. the family were as always tasters for anything new on the menu and perfecting recipies

there are some good resources on the internet for basic translations
http://www.di.ens.fr/~cousot/sas01/english/dico.html

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Gosh, that is a wide ranging question. :)

But I will have a go. .

:mnythnks:

This is exactly the kind of words I want to know.

We use the same Sweat , is" faire suer" while soften would be more like "confire" which is a slow way to cook . The only difference is that "confire" will last longer!

Last edited:
OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
And if you have any Welsh students there then the microwave is called Popty Ping (love this expression :))

Only French students, wanting to fully use their time...hence cooking AND English.
While delicious things will be on gas ...they will have to entertain me with different subjects ... all in English ...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
pork dripping is much nicer . on bread with a bit of salt mmm or on warm toast.
although when i was younger and was a butcer ,i always ad to bring home fatty pork joints to have nice dripping . on Saturday nights sunday mornings our house used to be full of mates come round after a night in the pub to eat my mums pork dripping sarnies etc .
seems their mum never ever had any .

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
...... and be sure not to get your conservatives mixed up with your preservatives. :)
Certainly wouldn't want to mix them in France now would you .... one ends sticky the other a sticky end

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I will teach more "salted" dishes than sweet ones...Frankie:)

You're a brave lady trying to teach us "Ros Bifs" to cook more than bacon sarnies, beans on toast, or even Fray Bentos ;).
I think most of us will understand what you mean, even if you get the occasional word wrong - certainly better than any attempt I might make at culinary French.

However, as you've asked...

We tend to say "savoury or sweet", rather than salted.

Bravo (y).

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
You're a brave lady trying to teach us "Ros Bifs

Errrr.... No , not exactly, not to you English .... Only to French who want to learn: 1) how to cook French dishes (and also blackfoot ones) and 2): who want to practice their English.
It's not on a forum , it's for real in my kitchen!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Blackfoot dishes?

Errrr.... No , not exactly, not to you English .... Only to French who want to learn: 1) how to cook French dishes (and also blackfoot ones) and 2): who want to practice their English.
It's not on a forum , it's for real in my kitchen!
My mistake

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
@mjltigger I've noticed that lol ! I tried to find the translation of Sauce Béchamel ..... and only thing I found was .... Sauce Béchamel ! Ah well I suppose we have no word either for crumble in French so let's say we exchange our knowledge and words!:rolleyes:;)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
The "in" words for anything cooked in a frying pan are "pan fried". How else can you fry anything?

Dave

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
@mjltigger I've noticed that lol ! I tried to find the translation of Sauce Béchamel ..... and only thing I found was .... Sauce Béchamel !

No no and no, its Béchamel sauce (get the order of words correct) if you are posh, otherwise its white sauce.
You may also like to look up mornay sauce

EDIT a list of sauces here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sauces

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Why is it that the French dislike mint sauce which we like with roast lamb or grilled lamb chops?

Simmer is word for heating a liquid gently
Poach is to cook in liquid like poached salmon or poached eggs or iles flottants
Caramelise is to gently fry to the point of the food becoming sweet like caramelised onions
Chips are frites
Crisps are Chips
A pudding can be savoury eg Steak and Kidney steamed pudding or sweet eg Spotted Dick!
A pudding can also be baked eg Yorkshire pudding eaten with roast beef

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
How we cook a steak

In English we have

well done, cooked till absolutely no blood runs

medium, some redness / purple middle probable blood

rare browned on outside, definitely bloody

some use an expression 'blue' which seems to be barely warmed in the pan

As for the French why does 'well done' still have a half chance of revival by a good vet :LOL:

Enjoy your class (y)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Why is it that the French dislike mint sauce which we like with roast lamb or grilled lamb chops?

Simmer is word for heating a liquid gently
Poach is to cook in liquid like poached salmon or poached eggs or iles flottants
Caramelise is to gently fry to the point of the food becoming sweet like caramelised onions
Chips are frites
Crisps are Chips
A pudding can be savoury eg Steak and Kidney steamed pudding or sweet eg Spotted Dick!
A pudding can also be baked eg Yorkshire pudding eaten with roast beef
My French friends here live mint sauce :) Lidl could be the reason they don't like ! At britsh week they advertised mint sauce to eat with ham and English mustard with lamb lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back