We're off to France in a couple of weeks - what connectors do we need? (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We've decided against Scotland this year because of the weather and decided to chase the sun and go to the south of France.

Although we're quite familiar driving in France (we owned a chalet in Morzine) we've never been in the motorhome before. Can anyone tell us what we need for gas and electric please? Do we have to buy different gas bottles entirely or are connectors available to make our existing bottles compatible? Same question with electric. If connectors are needed, where do you buy them?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
A French plug to 16a cable adaptor easily available at camping shops might be useful.

You can get free bottles from Supermarket Chains (we use Super U) in France, you need only pay for the gas. You will then need to buy a French regulator from a Brick o Mat or some such. It is then simply a matter of finding the nearest Super U (there are hundreds) when you need a refill.
We have a tee piece with a Calor regulator and a French one piped together, we simply swap between them

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Reverse polarity plugs are handy as some sites are wired up in reverse also a plug in reverse polarity tester

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Keep reading about this reverse polarity malarkey. What is it and how does the appliance know which way the elastic trickery is going? If the the appliance does not know why do I need to know?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Reverse polarity is when the live and neutral are reversed. It used to be a lot more common years ago and we always carried a plug in socket tester and screwdriver. After a while, I made up a reversed polarity 16a hook up plug and could swap them over if necessary. So on a U.K. circuit, the live is fused. France don't do fused plugs, they have double pole circuit breakers ( and a good thing too, the French plugs, sockets and switches are crap)
On my fuse box, I have a light that tells me if the polarity is reversed. If it is, and you have a U.K. plug plugged into the van ( usually older vans with no circuit breakers) and the fuse blows, the live feed is still there.
Probably.
I would be more worried about having the right size tap adapters. French taps seem to come in more sizes than U.K. taps. Good news is, many supermarkets and diy stores sell these adapters. Buy two of each because you WILL leave one on a tap somewhere. Mine is at an aire in Mutigny!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
This is the sort of thing you want for the leccy. http://www.johnscross.co.uk/caravan...Fc2uLcF148GZbq2ysV-D3L6ZfWUgdNhpHUhoCir7w_wcB

You will need them at some places at others the normal one you use in the UK will be needed. The adaptor will work in other countries too. Nearly half the places we stayed at in Spain over 8 weeks needed the two pin plug.
Johns cross add extra for postage and packing - also I just noticed that their returns policy does not comply with current consumer legislation
I'd suggest getting one off eBay, with free delivery

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Don't forget some tap/hose connectors for fresh water (if you intend to fill up your on-board tank that is).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back