one of the new handbrake extenders (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
This just my opinion and it is mainly in responce to Geoff1947

I purchased the more expensive handbrake extender £70 ish...
It seems well made.......
Am I happy with it?????…….
Not sure,……….. my motorhome is the Fiat 2008 model so it is the new style, the hand brake extender is just slightly more expensive to buy for this model......
I find it quite difficult to release, I have hold the original handbrake and push backwards with my wrist/hand to release the lever as the button is now covered with the new extender...
Just using the hand brake extender is quite difficult to release......also twice I have caught the handbrake getting out of the cab to fill with diesel and released the handbrake only to find the motorhome going backwards and me trying to pull the handbrake back on with the door only partially open because of the petrol pump....NOT GOOD....
Also mine the captain’s chair still swivels when the handbrake is in the on Position! So that is no problem.
I am not saying it worse or better than the cheaper handbrake extender, as I have never tied the other one around £45
I am not saying everybody will have the same difficulties as me, as we are not all built the same and will have the seat in the same position,
I am not saying it is no good.....it just does not work for me....the original handbrake on the Fiat was difficult to release fully and not easy to release at the traffic lights on a hill doing a handbrake start!.....but I also finding this very difficult to release in the same scenario....all I am saying try another motorhome that has one fitted for the same model as yours with seat in the correct position as you would have yours before you purchase one ....as they are not cheap.
This is just my opinion.
From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France……Mel

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
one of the new hand brake extender

Let me try and explain.
The lever works on a centre pin to release the button/ handbrake you pull the lever backwards.....(ok)
BUT at the same time you have to go forwards with handbrake to release the handbrake holding the same lever backwards under a little pressure (it is not impossible it is not that easy)
it is like rubbing your stomach and tapping your head it is not impossible but not easy
Look at the picture on the home page,. And try and study what happens and what I am saying.

On a hill in traffic trying to release the handbrake and move forward stop, start,
In traffic in a city centre in another country.
At traffic lights, when you need concentration things should come natural.

Then I say is this better that the original Fiat ......not sure for me both have problems.

From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France (telling it how it is)....Mel

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi
if you look at the cheaper handbrake extension it looks like it would work better...as you pull on the lever you are automatically going forward and downward to release the handbrake.....just that it looks as if it is made of a cheaper material and at the end of the day is it much longer than the original handbrake in the down position and will it last!!!!!!
From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France...Mel

Not sure if this is in the correct category in MHF I apologise if not

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Mel

Excellent review of the handbrake extender.

I have the 'expensive' one after getting rid of the 'cheap' one. It just would not stay on the handbrake grip and every time I used it I thought the little catch would snap. Unless you have had a Triumph Spitfire or any car with a quick release handbrake then the action of 'pull up' to release takes a bit of getting used to. I just pull the handbrake grip up and let it go under control. Once mastered, it really is easy and the extra height of the handle means no more stretching down.

I too forgot to park in gear the first time I used it. The scrabble to run back, open the door and pull the handbrake on whilst 3.5 tonnes of MH is travelling in a southerly direction should be made part of the Royal Marine Commando selection course. Always park in gear, even at the petrol station!

I do need to lower the handbrake to swivel the drivers seat and the folding action and locking pin means that once engaged and the handle locked down, the handbrake cannot be inadvertantly released.

The price difference betwixt the two is akin to comparing one of Gerald Ratners drinks trays to something from Garrards. Engineered to last, rather than engineered to the minimum price/maximum profit.

Is it worth £30 more? For me yes, but I am sure that there are many who swear by the Kobran. Each to their own.

BobG

Free Member
Jul 22, 2008
Funster No
I think we are talking about the RARE SPARES handbrake extender ?

I have one fitted to my 2008 X2/50 based Bessacarr E435. I have been driving with it for about 2000 miles (over 6 winter/sprng months) now and the 'fly off' technique needed to release and control the handbrake was easy to pick up; I found it came automatically after about 20 uses of the handbrake. No problems now.:Smile:

I found the after sales support from the manufacturer and vendor of the RARE SPARES handbrake extender to be superb. Very helpfull and tolerant of user stupidity:Blush:

I am very pleased with this very well engineered product. Well worth the extra cost.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am sure that there are many who swear by the Kobran. Each to their own.

There sure are, here are some

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCe4bOlBE1k"]YouTube - Scenes of Hajj from Mecca[/ame]

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
:ROFLMAO:

...just remember what happened to Salmon Rosti ....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back