Is the Shepton Malet show worth going to? (1 Viewer)

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Having gone to the Stratford upon Avon show we were very disappointed at the lack of vans there, so just wondered if Shepton Malet is bigger with more choice, we will only be going for the day so want to make sure it will be worth the journey

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
In all honesty the Shepton show has been dying for years - most people go to Shepton for the rally - certainly at the moment RVOC will not be rallying there and I have not seen a thread for Fun to be rallying there unless anyone knows differently ??

Just seen Stone Leisure's schedule for next year and looks like they have binned the January and the April shows - just keeping Stratford and September Shepton ones. Would never be surprised to see the September one disappear as well soon as there are so many other shows ( not necessarily Motor Home shows ) to go to and people do seem to be getting bored with motorhome shows.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
In all honesty the Shepton show has been dying for years - most people go to Shepton for the rally - certainly at the moment RVOC will not be rallying there and I have not seen a thread for Fun to be rallying there unless anyone knows differently ??

Just seen Stone Leisure's schedule for next year and looks like they have binned the January and the April shows - just keeping Stratford and September Shepton ones. Would never be surprised to see the September one disappear as well soon as there are so many other shows ( not necessarily Motor Home shows ) to go to and people do seem to be getting bored with motorhome shows.
Thanks, we borrowed a motorhome and stayed at the Stratford show and the people we spoke to said it was a bad year and lots of exhibitors had stopped attending , we enjoyed the weekend but we had gone in the hope of finding something we liked.
Maybe we won't bother then .
Any suggestions on shows worth going to ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Only one more major show this year which is at Lincoln in a few weeks time.
A much bigger show than Stratford and Shepton combined, well worth a visit.
Brisey.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Only one more major show this year which is at Lincoln in a few weeks time.
A much bigger show than Stratford and Shepton combined, well worth a visit.
Brisey.
What's the name of the show? Or am I being stupid and it's just Lincoln ?

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
To be honest if you s spend a few days in the West County - start at Bristol and work your way down to Exeter then you will probably have seen 8 or 9 dealers
Just from memory
there is One on the outskirts of Cheddar -
West Country Motorhomes
Highbridge Caravans and Motorhomes
Thornefalcon motorhomes
Chelston Motorhomes
martins Motorhomes Exeter

that's 6 - I know there are more just cannot think of their names google it and you may well make it 12

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It's called the end of season show.
Most go to Stratford for a weeks camping, rather than the show, as it's a lovely place to visit and a great stroll into town along the river

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's called the end of season show.
Most go to Stratford for a weeks camping, rather than the show, as it's a lovely place to visit and a great stroll into town along the river
Yes that's defiantly what we noticed, cheap camping for a week and meet up with friends

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I live just up the road and have driven past a few times when he show is on and it's rammed, popularity amongst funsters may be waning but it still seems pretty busy to me. We may go to the show on the Saturday to have a mooch as we are new to MH's. Either that or the old Sarum air show to see the Vulcan for one last time.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If you're looking for a wide selection of vans to view, I'd give it a miss (from another local).

How close are you to purchasing ? Have you decided on layout, manufacturer, base vehicle, perhaps even specific models ?

If so, you might be better off making a shortlist then planning a route to go and view them all.

If you're still very much undecided, perhaps the October show at the NEC would be more suitable. Lots of vans, brands and layouts to view, as well as lots of accessories....

Upvote 0

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are going as a day visitor, we went 2 years ago and there appeared to be plenty of vans on display, not that we were looking at vans though. There was quite a good display of accessories if I remember correctly. If our sons house move doesn't get in the way we will go on Saturday.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
To be honest if you s spend a few days in the West County - start at Bristol and work your way down to Exeter then you will probably have seen 8 or 9 dealers
Just from memory
there is One on the outskirts of Cheddar -
West Country Motorhomes
Highbridge Caravans and Motorhomes
Thornefalcon motorhomes
Chelston Motorhomes
martins Motorhomes Exeter

that's 6 - I know there are more just cannot think of their names google it and you may well make it 12

Davan - Weston super Mare

Upvote 0

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We wnt to shepton last year and to stratford this year. Shepton was far bigger from the point of view of number of traders than stratford.
We will be goung to shepton again in a couple of weeks.
if you look at the shows website it will give you a list of all the traders booked to attend

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
never used to miss a shepton mallet show, but its no longer the show it was

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If visiting the South West, you could also do Webbs in Warminster, head to south coast (numerous dealers) then back up the M3 taking in Southern Motorhomes and Webbs at Reading.

If you haven't guessed, we've had a fair few weekends away looking for the right van... think it's worth the effort if you want 'a good un'

Upvote 0

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Ten minutes up the road so might have an afternoon there.

I certainly wouldn't travel any great distance to go though.

A real shame cos it was a really good show,Loads of dealers including five or six yanks and lots of stalls selling stuff we couldn't do without !!;)

Regards

John P:)

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
we are heading to the Shepton show this year - never been before. HAve 10-14 free days starting this next weekend so going to call at hereford, Ross on wye and anywhere else that we can think of on the way, ending our trip at the show for 2 days

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
we are heading to the Shepton show this year - never been before. HAve 10-14 free days starting this next weekend so going to call at hereford, Ross on wye and anywhere else that we can think of on the way, ending our trip at the show for 2 days
We had a great time at Stratford camping, met some great people and it was excellent value with complimentary coach into town , if we could make the weekend we would defiantly go, but I have to work Saturday so only able to go on Sunday

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back