Tips on putting an awning before we divorce (1 Viewer)

Lianne

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Thirsk
Funster No
MH
Hi top tribute t720
Exp
Hello

Just was wondering if anyone had one of these awning tents?
We have purchased one and had no problem putting it up in the garden, but when it came to putting up attached to our motor home WOW it was hard work!
Any hints tips would be very gratefully received I've attached pictures of our motor home and awning!

Thanks in advance

Lianne x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 86
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
In my experience I could put the awning up single handed a deal faster than when assisted by my wife. We don't use one at all now, too much hassle as we tend to tour rather than stay.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would bet that you are not using a connection kit including a double bead kador strip and lengths of figure 8 plastic. with the kit, you build the awning then slide on the figure 8 and kador to connect

have seen more than one newbie try and slide a heavy awning into the rail before assembling. it can be done but is ridiculously complicated and prevents easy disconnection

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I would bet that you are not using a connection kit including a double bead kador strip and lengths of figure 8 plastic. with the kit, you build the awning then slide on the figure 8 and kador to connect

have seen more than one newbie try and slide a heavy awning into the rail before assembling. it can be done but is ridiculously complicated and prevents easy disconnection

Supposed to be provided it says.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
It's a bit like the Nike swoosh but it reverse. Instead of "Just Do It" its a simple case of "Just Don't". It'll only end up in tears & ruin the holiday.

Robert & Hazel.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hope we don't have the same problem...... the new awning went up in seconds (so easy, just three poles) but not sure how we will manage when we do the fix to the van bit as we're waiting for the gunk to stick the rail on. We do have the connector kit so hope it won't be too difficult.

We used the previous awning if we stayed on one site for two or more days as it was easy enough to put up and take down. Hope this one will be the same - it's lighter and bigger. We still have the previous one but it isn't tall enough for the current van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hope we don't have the same problem...... the new awning went up in seconds (so easy, just three poles) but not sure how we will manage when we do the fix to the van bit as we're waiting for the gunk to stick the rail on. We do have the connector kit so hope it won't be too difficult.

If you put an awning rail on van you probably won't need connector kit.And awning will sit nice and close to van (y)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The connector kit means you can just pull out a whatsit that goes between two figure of eight sections - will see how it goes :)

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We have provided other campers with hours of entertainment while putting up awnings:D and I have taught my wife some useful "phrases":swear2:. We have had three different types and each one has nearly had us in the divorce courts:boxing: We now take a small utility tent which takes 10 min to put up and no falling out, we then sit back with a glass of wine and enjoy the entertainment of other campers battling with acres of nylon/canvas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Not the most brilliant bit of video but you can tell what he's getting at, and I know it's not the same awning but I reckon this part must be fairly similar???

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We must be very strange then, as the fun of putting an awning up is usually more comical than confrontational for us, despite the cock-ups.

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back