LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Can anyone recommend a cheap set that works so that we can communicate with the vehicle in front. Thx

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
446 pmr..
Loads on ebay, maplins, supermarkets,argos etc.

Forget the long range claims that are made..For close contact between vehicles they will do the job. They all have a maximum output to remain legal and License free... Lots to choose from and various budgets.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
lidl or aldi ones work fine .
soon be time for them to be available .
have a set of each . thought the first ones battery was a bit weak but still use them . end up lending the others to folk that travel with us .
best ones are the ones that you can charge as you drive . most need a table top mounting bit awkward but work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have the Aldi one and they do the job. Lots of people ask about them when they see us using them on site (directing the driver over the waste dump grate for example). Just make sure you change the channel as most folk seem to leave them on channel one and then swear when you break into "their" channel. We have ours on 4 at the moment as other people nearby are using 1 to 3! One of the farms uses 2 and you hear the tractor drivers chatting to each other if you are tuned to that channel and have the handset on..... can be entertaining :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You're obviously too exited to be thinking these things through.
Two tin cans and a bit of string. Doubles as a tow rope so Alan pays for all the fuel!:whistle:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We used pmr 446 radios in morocco they work ok up to about a quarter mile
After that depends on terrain most you will get is about a mile on a very good day
I think a lot of funsters use channel 5 on rally's

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
We got ours from Argos. As mentioned previously don't pay any attention to the so called range they cover, fine if you are outdoors but once inside the 'tin can' MH they reduce significantly.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
We use Cobra radios, very good range and voice operated or push to talk when on our bikes, not cheap though but they have lasted well.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
why bother.. mobile phones have a much better range .. ;)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought some walkie talkies at Argos some years ago to use as a reversing aid. I can't remember the make but it was supposed to be a good one. We took them back because they were faulty and flattened the batteries in minutes. The replacements did the same so we reckoned it must be a bad batch and got our money back. We bought some of the same brand at Maplins and they had the same fault so we got another refund and bought some cheap ones at Asda. Never used them very much and they are somewhere in the loft now :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got these ones. If you're using them for vehicle to vehicle communication it's worth thinking about the range as you might not always be in convoy and the really cheap ones will hardly have any range at all.

I haven't tried them over the range they claim but they work perfectly well between motorhomes at about half a mile

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We have the Motorola TLKR T8 great bit of kit , we like the vox setting as we can leave one in the van and take one with us at supermakets and if anyone comes in the van we can hear them . ( I HOPE :D ).

We bought ours used on ebay £30 ish

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have the Motorola TLKR T8 great bit of kit , we like the vox setting as we can leave one in the van and take one with us at supermakets and if anyone comes in the van we can hear them . ( I HOPE :D ).

We bought ours used on ebay £30 ish
That a great idea I wish I had thought of it

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Hello

I have a set of these Motorola T80 Extreme for my photographic business so I can communicate with my other photographer at events. They also have a hands-free earpiece and microphone which we use at indoor events.

I have found them reliable and very useful. The range will depend on the environment and the 'up to' 10k range quoted is in ideal circumstances (ie you are both on hill tops with line of sight). I have found them good for about 1 mile in normal circumstances.

They are small and light, a big consideration when you are already carrying some very heavy photographic equipment and you can get a set for about £70.00.

The more powerful sets require a licence and are a lot more expensive.

We found using our mobiles a real fraf, these are much more convenient and of course we still have our mobiles if we were out of range of each other.

I hope this helps.

KH

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I got a set of binatone terrains cheap off eBay and they have been great.
We use them all the time for reversing and manoeuvring and have also used,them for communicating with other vans in convoy.
I think most cheap walkie talkies will work adequately for these applications.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We bought 6 cheap one for a show - really look the part but the range is fairly limited and buildings easily block them . Bought a couple of really expensive ones and they start to fade a bit at 5K and we have had 9 + k from them so horses for courses really - all are PMR446

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have a pair of binatone terrain walkie talkies, which were cheap (got them off ebay) and also a CB in the van, and a handheld CB, which were not cheap. The terrains are ok for short range, but we generally use the CB's for long range.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back