Hello everyone from first time motorhomer! (1 Viewer)

D

devondumpling

Deleted User
Hi everyone!

We have just purchased our first motorhome, a Swift Kontiki 665p. Never had one, or indeed even holidayed in one! We have 4 kids aged 11, nearly 10, 8 and 5 plus a mini Schnauser! so we thought a MH an ideal holiday option. We are expecting delivery next week, so excited, just need to decide where to go first!
Need to organise insurance (any advice appreciated.) Can someone recommend family sites that would appeal to our rabble?
Also, any other bits of equipment to make our life easier.

Kate and Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi kate and mike and welcome to the FUN.

have a look in the calender (blue bar above posts) loads of MHF meets and usually quite a few kids in tow as well.

the show meets are especially popular.:Smile:

everyone welcome and you'll get loads of impartial advise and help.

give it a go....were all very friendly on here.:thumb:

john.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Welcome to the site, where be you to in devon. We are in Ilfracombe.
Why not book a week at Stowford farm Meadows, for a trial run, not too far from home then if you forget anything. For insurance you will find a lot of companies do not do motorhomes. We use Budget and get a good price on insurance and breakdown cover. (but do note the cover is only for your motorhome and you have to insure for 12 months, if you cancel you get next to nowt back.) Do let me know if I can be of any assistance. Don't forget the chat room, I live there when at home. Quiz on thursday nights. Finally do check out Jims motorhome checklist and Destinations the motorhome log book. The sales of which help fund this site. The clock is running not long to wait now, hee hee
7d8bb0f6.gif

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Kate & Mike, welcome to the fun. We are insured with NFU and feel we have a good deal. Includes breakdown cover too.
Regards, Dave :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tintinold

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 Months
Welcome

Hiya Kate & Mike, :Smile::Smile: & welcome, great choice of Motorhome,
could be worth trying Scenic Insurance.

:thumb::thumb:

tintin

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Hi and welcome.
I am insured with carravanguard who i can highly recommend having needed their assistance twice.Three years ago when someone drove down the side of my motorhome and a few weeks ago when i broke down in france.
Paignton is a good place to go with young ones but that maybe to close for you?
Dave

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi and welcome to the fun site
I got my best quote from Caravanguard when I had my Kontiki:thumb:
Great choice of Motorhome,enjoy::bigsmile:
Geo

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
We too just got our first van last week. Found caravanguard very good also include a lot of useful extras like recovery etc if getting a quote remember to ask what discounts are available.

we took first camping trip to a local site so any problems we could pop back easily to H/A or the dealer.

keep insurnce cert in vehicle for first couple of weeks till the insurance co update the police computer that the vehicle is insured incase your stopped on a routine check. With no proof of insurance they can impound your vehicle on the spot.

OP
OP
D

devondumpling

Deleted User
Hi and welcome.
I am insured with carravanguard who i can highly recommend having needed their assistance twice.Three years ago when someone drove down the side of my motorhome and a few weeks ago when i broke down in france.
Paignton is a good place to go with young ones but that maybe to close for you?
Dave

Thanks for insurance advice! We live in a little village just outside Paignton (so yes, it's a bit close!) called Stoke Gabriel, there are quite a few sites very near us, it's a very beautiful area and I can thoroughly recommend it for a visit!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Any one worried about insurance data base, can check themselves to see if insurance company have updated system HERE:thumb: You can even check your neibours:Doh:
Geo

tompyn

Free Member
May 5, 2008
Devon
Funster No
Exp
Just started
Hi Kate&Mike and Welcome,We too have the same Kontiki 665p,and we live just down the road Brixham,may bump into you sometime(not literally) if you get my drift.:thumb:

S

Sweeney-todds

Deleted User
Hi Kate and Mike ( Fellow Devondumplings::bigsmile:::bigsmile:)

There is a great little site near us, we can reccomend for you and the kids.
Its called Ladrum Bay, beautiful spot, clean and tidy, nice beach, and bar.
May be worth a look, Ill try to post a link.

Link Removed#

Bill.:Smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Motorhome insurance

Hi, I've just been rooting round for insurance too and got a really good deal from Lifesure £174 :Smile:with really low excesses. contact number 0871 726 1245.You might want to give them a try::bigsmile:
hope this helps

Keep wavin!!!!

JJG

Pete45

Free Member
Jan 29, 2009
Milton Keynes Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had 2 RV from 2003
:welcome::welcome::welcome:To Kate and Mike,you will get a lot of fun on here. Arizona Chief

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Welcome

Hi guys and welcome!

We are Newbies too, took possession of our Pilote back in January. We absolutely love the freedom. We have had just three outings so far, the earlier bank holidays and one week end.

Each time venturing further afield successively, as our experience is increasing and we are become more street wise so to speak. We are aiming to try some wild camping in Scotland during the summer hols.

As for insurance the best quote we had was from the Caravan & Camping Club, which also included full breakdown cover.

Then Enjoy! ::bigsmile:

Howard & Elaine

lazydays

Free Member
May 9, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
March 2009
Hello & Welcome,

We got our first motor home in March this year, one thing you can be rest assured of, the kids will love it. I’ve got two girls five and a bit and two and a half who now want move into the motor home and live there forever?

Hope you have many happy journeys and adventures with your family?

Welcome

Lazydays
:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back