Hello from Guernsey (1 Viewer)

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hello, I am returning to motor homing after a gap of about 25 years and technically it was a campervan in the old days. That was a Volkswagon Dormobile conversion.

The current bout of lunacy commences tomorrow when I will travel to Scotland to collect a mature Hymer which I have bought on ebay. My winning bid was a surprise and an even greater surprise was the location - my fault I did not look to see where it was until I had won it. The people sound very nice on the phone and will collect me from their nearest railway station.

I will try not to be a burden and have had a trawl of the Hymer threads before joining but I am quite sure I shall be requesting assistance somewhere along the line. The Hymer is on, I believe a Mercedes 207D chassis.

I have enjoyed reading the posts from members and look forward to bumping into others from the group over the coming months/years

A rather mature Cleve (real name Clive, not surprisingly already gone)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello
check-in-minion.jpg

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi, Clive, and a warm welcome. You could have chosen Clive2 instead of Cleve but not to worry. Scotland to Guernsey is one heck of a maiden trip! We hope all goes well for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi Rob and Val

It will not quite be Scotland to Guernsey as I will be taking it to Kent where I keep my caravan, close to Lydd. My nav says 557 miles over two days. Hardest bit is tomorrow morning. Guernsey to Manchester 0650 -0810 big chase and rush (I hope this bit comes off) terminal 1 to terminal 3, Manchester to Aberdeen 0845 - 0955, train to Montrose. It will be a miracle if I pull this off but will try. If I miss the plane then it is the train with 3 changes and arriving about 6 hours later. The challenge is the Aberdeen flight.

Happy days

Clive

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Welcome to Fun, hope all goes well with the Motorhome, but I do hope you have not parted with money before you inspect and see the motorhome, I say that because of various scams on on e bay, and a few from soldiers selling in Scotland, I am sure it's alright but better to be aware.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hello Carol, I did do all the things I should not have done really but I am very pleased to say that all is extremeley well.

I left Guernsey at 6.50 Friday morning and arrived Manchester 0815. I caught the 0845 Aberdeen flight by the skin of my teeth arriving Aberdeen 0955. I was surprised there is no station at Aberdeen airport and caught a bus to Aberdeen Station taking the 1105 train to Montrose arriving Montrose 1145. I telephoned the people with my ETA and they said they would meet me with the vehicle at Montrose station. Papers were signed v5 bit for me and the MOT, I asked if there was anything I needed to know he said not showed me how to start it and was gone.

It had 1/4 tank of diesel and I went first to the adjacent Tesco to get supplies for the journey and I had hoped fuel, sadly no fuel here so I drove to Dundee where the traffic was horendous and spotted a Morrisions where I filled up. I had noticed on my way there that either the exhaust manifold has a crack or one of its gaskets is leeking. I was happy to put up with the noise. Between Perth and Stirling the Battery light began to flicker and about 15 miles short of Stirling she began to boil so I pulled into a layby to have a look. Apologies to the couple with the caravan behind me who had been following since Dundee.

A quick look underneath revealed a floppy fan belt. To be able to get there I had travelled very light so nothing with me. Looked inside the vehicle, first real look at all no tools which was hardly surprising. OK iphone out onto safari garages Stirling tried a couple for a call out, no good today, plan B turn the clock by 30 years and do it yourself . Called taxi firm, got a superb taxi driver who took me to Perth where I visited Halfords and bought a tool kit rather than just a couple of spanners (which was just as well). Back to the vehicle where I was able to discover the adjustment on the alternator and pleased I had bought the tool set. Only needed a 1/2 litre of water to top up which was good. Had to use the old very stretched fan belt as Halfords dont do fan belts any more. So after 2 hour pause much of it in heavy traffic I was on my way again. Drove to Penrith where I refuelled and parked under a railway bridge. I had parked about 9.15pm and was on the bed and off to sleep very quick. Awake at 5,30am. Breakfast check of fluid levels and tweak fan belt and at 6.15am I was on my way. stopped after 320 kilometres on the M40 (first services after M42) about 1015am. Snack check of fluids (temperature gauge does not work) and on to Old Romney arriving 1405pm. My friend Tony said he would give me a lift back to Gatwick so I can catch my flight back to the island, this is where I am writing this waiting for the flight. Took the uneaten bits out of of Hymer and placed in caravan fridge, off to France starting Tuesday from Portsmouth to Caen. Finally while waiting for Tony I had a look around. To my utter surprise, I found a new fan belt in the rear locker.

My Hymer is definately a female and the appropriate name will come to me. I believe I was meant to have this one and will relish restoring her and travelling in her. The pull down bed was very comfortable.

Sorry its a bit of a saga but I am over the moon.

Clive

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Clive,
I'm glad everything worked out well for you in the end (y)
Welcome to the madhouse from us in Eastbourne.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi and welcome from Devon, a great read enjoy your travels nothing wrong with classical vans just a bit of TLC needed :)
smiley-41.jpg

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Welcome to fun Clive
Great attitude to problems.

Mel

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Wonderful story Clive and welcome to the House of Funsters :welc:

Keep us posted of your adventures and how the restorations goes :cheers:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi @Cleve , quite a start to your Motorhome experience but seems you are well able to sort out any little problems that crop up, do keep us updated with your travels sounds like you and your Lady Hymer are going to have Fun. (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@Cleve

Pleased it all went well. Had we known about your epic first journey we could have helped out but you managed really well.

We had a lovely old Hymer on a Merc. - too big for us now but at the time it was luxury.

Enjoy your lady and just a heads up but you only get 4 or 5 free posts before you become a "read only" member. It's £10 a year and once you are a paid up member you get access to all sorts of discounts and you can join rallies and the like :)

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Thank you, I will pay my £10 with pleasure. Be it paypal or by card. The reception has been fantastic. Very welcoming. I am back here on the island, landed about 2030 in the flat about 2100. Just made tea after which I am having a lovely shower and cleaning my teeth before an early night.

I will find the payment page while drinking my tea.

Thank you everyone for yor encouragement.

Clive

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thank you, I will pay my £10 with pleasure. Be it paypal or by card. The reception has been fantastic. Very welcoming. I am back here on the island, landed about 2030 in the flat about 2100. Just made tea after which I am having a lovely shower and cleaning my teeth before an early night.

I will find the payment page while drinking my tea.

Thank you everyone for yor encouragement.

Clive
I worked in Guernsey about 3 or 4 yrs ago. I and two other sparks did the print factory for WHSmith Moonpig cards
Unfortunately it was late in the year and dark before and after our 12 hr days. I do recall the natives drive like maniacs on those little roads though :eek:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hope this one is allowed. Where is the subscribe page please. Either I am tired or can't see the wood for the trees. I am sure as soon as you tell me it will be blindingly obvious.

Thank you

Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Oh, the standard of driving has not improved since you were here. I am most at risk when I drive to work, once I am airborne I feel safe.

Cheers Clive

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hello Clive. :)

Welcome to FUN, and well done on getting the Hymer down the road. (y)

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita. :)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Hi Clive, call her Nessie!!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hello Vin and Jose

I am pleased to say the name has arrived, sadly not your suggestion which was apposite. While steady at 17000 feet up to Manchester her name came to me - it needed to start with an H to go with Hymer (that was the principle reason for not using Nessie) and out of the blue Helen came unto me and I was smitten so, there she is, Helen the Hymer and sorry if she has sisters of the same name.

I will post before and after progress photos and reports on the appropriate forum but excited as I am nothing will happen for about 3 weeks as I will be away in the Mortagne sur Gironde area with my caravan. I can recommend without hesitation the municipal campsite Bel Air here which is managed perfectly by Joelle and has excellent wifi with no fiddling about.

Thanks for the encouragement and the wonderful welcome from you all, I feel I have fallen among kindred spirits.

Cliv

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I was thinking Henryetta