Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
My husband and I want to buy a new motorhome and are moving to Spain next week. Unfortunately we won't be able to get to Dusseldorf show. I would love to have a Rapido 660FF or similar layout but would like to see them first. We are both Olympic Gold Medal snorers and although it will just be the 2 of us, we need separate space so that we can get a proper sleep. Is it best to buy in Germany where we can see lots of different makes and models, or should we buy in Spain to avoid paperwork problems.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Best get to Spain first and check out all the import rules and costs. If it's left hand drive, hab door on the correct side and as new it will have a Certificate of Conformity then registration should not be an issue. However I know there are import taxes based on the retail price etc and it's not cheap so do your Homework !!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Finnsgran

Finnsgran

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're having enough hassle with pensions, banks, house selling and moving stuff to Spain, I think we will take the easy option and buy in Spain. This old head can't take any more homework!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have bought 2 vans in Spain, the first New the other second hand.
Buying the new one was quite simple if you ( The buyer) had the correct paperwork.
Buying secondhand was also simple, but some taxation issues would need to be addressed, transfer of ownership, if I remember correctly carried an hefty 7%.
Also the market is very different, and choice could be an issue, check the net for stockists.
Our current Spanish registered van was imported before we bought it, we have the importation receipts, this in itself would make your eyes water.
Like the previous post, do your homework before your venture, and we wish you happy travels and welcome to Spain.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Finnsgran

Finnsgran

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
When you say that buying new is quite simple if you have the correct paperwork - what paperwork do you need?

Upvote 0

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Best get to Spain first and check out all the import rules and costs. If it's left hand drive, hab door on the correct side and as new it will have a Certificate of Conformity then registration should not be an issue. However I know there are import taxes based on the retail price etc and it's not cheap so do your Homework !!!!!

You do not have to pay the 'special import tax' if you register the vehicle in Spain within 6 months of becoming resident.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Finnsgran

Finnsgran

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Great. We will probably not be able to get one too quick as we are buying new and they might not have the one we want in stock.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you are buying a property in Spain then you should have the correct paperwork.
NIE number is a must and depending where you are going to live a Padron may be requested to buy/register the vehicle.
If you decide to buy and import then a left hand drive is very important for motorhomes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Great. We will probably not be able to get one too quick as we are buying new and they might not have the one we want in stock.

If you will be resident in Spain surely it will be easiest to buy through a Spanish dealer. You will probably find dealerships representing most of the manufacturers. New car dealers in Spain are quite prepared to negotiate on price so MH dealers might well do the same.

Upvote 0

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We live in Spain and looked at various import options before deciding that it was simpler and cheaper in the long run to buy from a Spanish dealer.

You should double-check the qualification time for import of vehicles relative to your residencia application/approval. I seem to recall 30 days being more like it.

Upvote 0

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
We live in Spain and looked at various import options before deciding that it was simpler and cheaper in the long run to buy from a Spanish dealer.

You should double-check the qualification time for import of vehicles relative to your residencia application/approval. I seem to recall 30 days being more like it.

It is definitely not within 30 days of becoming resident but you do need to obtain a piece of paper from the British Embassy/Consulate in Spain for which they charge about 80 Euros :mad:

I now recall that there is another restriction on avoiding the 'special import duty' in that you must have owned and had the vehicle registered in another country for at least 6 months.

Overall, better to buy new from a Spanish dealer who will register the vehicle for you and there should also no issues about warrenty.

Upvote 0

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I believe you are correct with the 6 months (180 days) rule in respect of prior ownership:

Broken Link Removed

The 30 days I mentioned is the time you have in which to register the vehicle after it arrives in the country.

I think the key point for the OP is that buying in Germany, say, and importing to Spain looks attractive financially until you start to look deeper into the re-registration charges and taxes here in Spain.

Upvote 0

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I believe you are correct with the 6 months (180 days) rule in respect of prior ownership:

Broken Link Removed

The 30 days I mentioned is the time you have in which to register the vehicle after it arrives in the country.

I think the key point for the OP is that buying in Germany, say, and importing to Spain looks attractive financially until you start to look deeper into the re-registration charges and taxes here in Spain.

Yes, it is all too easy to inadvertantly fall foul of one of the many stipulations in Spain. Easier and safer to buy in Spain at the outset even though it migh theoretically be slightly cheaper to buy in another country. I believe if you buy a new vehicle in Germany for 'export' to another EU country you still have to pay all the relevant purchase taxes and VAT applicable in Germany and can not buy the vehicle 'tax free'.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You do not have to pay the 'special import tax' if you register the vehicle in Spain within 6 months of becoming resident.

It is definitely not within 30 days of becoming resident but you do need to obtain a piece of paper from the British Embassy/Consulate in Spain for which they charge about 80 Euros :mad:

I now recall that there is another restriction on avoiding the 'special import duty' in that you must have owned and had the vehicle registered in another country for at least 6 months.

Overall, better to buy new from a Spanish dealer who will register the vehicle for you and there should also no issues about warrenty.

The 30 days applies from registering on the padron. ( electoral roll ) over that time tax is payable. There isn't a requirement to be a Spanish resident to be able to buy.

Upvote 0

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
There isn't a requirement to be a Spanish resident to be able to buy.

No, you do not have to be a Spanish resident to buy or indeed import a vehicle but, from what I understand, you do have to be a Spanish resident to avoid having to pay the 'special import duty'.

Upvote 0

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That's my understanding, too. If nothing else, the fact that 3 Spanish resident expats aren't 100% clear and in agreement on the regs is proof that you need to check and check again before making any significant financial decisions of this kind. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Finnsgran

Finnsgran

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone for the advice. We are travelling on the ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo on the 5th of September and are going to stop at Madrid where there are lots of motorhome dealers. We will have a good look round at them all and hopefully we will be able to get advice (if any of them speak English).

We will become Spanish residents and, if it's the case that we will be saving on any kind of tax, we will do this immediately!!!

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Be warned that apart from the costs involved in importing a vehicle into Spain, there can also be negative issues when you eventually come to get it ITV'd (MOT). we have friends who have given up trying to get their imported cars/caravans/motorhomes ITV'd, and sold them, because of the nit-picking over documents if the vehicle wasn't purchased in Spain.
We bought our Rapido in Spain, but the chances of getting to view the model you want to buy here are not good. Try and find a British dealer with one or a show exhibiting one before you come to Spain.
Which part of Spain are you thinking of moving too? We have had some pretty bad experiences of Spanish Rapido dealers which we'd be happy to share with you as and when you are ready to buy here.
A very useful guide for obtaining info on vehicles in Spain is http://n332.es/ set up by the Policia Locale for British Expats.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Thanks everyone for the advice. We are travelling on the ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo on the 5th of September and are going to stop at Madrid where there are lots of motorhome dealers. We will have a good look round at them all and hopefully we will be able to get advice (if any of them speak English).

We will become Spanish residents and, if it's the case that we will be saving on any kind of tax, we will do this immediately!!!
Firstly you will need to be on the padron in the place you live, without that nothing happens. Then you will need a Spanish bank account unless you are buying cash as "HP" in Spain is a pain, if you are not a Spanish resident. Insurance for MH is around 700 euro's+ depending on age and as your MH will be new it will be much higher. Lastly getting to become a Spanish residents is not a quick fix and can take up to 6 months and don't forget your driving licence with MUST be changed to a Spanish one after 180 days or living in Spain full time. If you are retiring before 65 years of age THINK HARD before giving up UK as you will loose loads ie: EHIC card UK health when back in UK for break etc.
This is fact why because we did it 4 years ago and we are still sorting things out......... A nightmare if you are below the retirement age................. OH......... speaking Spanish is a MUST to get 90% of things done unless you use the Ex Pat system and then you get ripped off by......... EX PATS.
Good luck

Upvote 0

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We've been out here for nearly 12 years and can vouch for the frustrations you'll have to cope with dealing with Spanish bureaucracy. However, it's not the end of the world and with patience all comes to fruition in the end. Certainly you'll be better off if you have some basic Spanish language skills but you'll find that many offices do have English-speaking staff and if you try in Spanish first, they will meet you halfway. :)

Re the EHIC, once you have Spanish residency and are covered by the Spanish health system (another thing for you to investigate!) you get the same EHIC only issued by Spain not the UK. This will cover you for all your travels in Europe, including back to the UK, of course.

We bought a new Adria MH from a very good dealership in Elche. Happy to recommend although they aren't Rapido agents. Our fully comp insurance costs 540 euros a year.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
@Falcon 269 - good post, however you did not state that the Spanish EHIC card will only cover you for a MAX of 90 days outside Spain in any one year and you must inform your Spanish health office when leaving and returning to get cover............. and when you have used up all 90 days you have to wait until you have been back in Spain over 90 days........ this stops people abusing the EHIC card, pity the UK does not adopt this system.........

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
@Falcon 269 be interested in which insurance company your using ( via PM is fine or here ) as thats a great quote, ours is 720 euros on a 2011 MH with EU breakdown cover.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Finnsgran

Finnsgran

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks guys for all the advice. We are moving to Cariatiz which is near Sorbas and about 25 minutes inland from Mojacar. Our town hall is at Sorbas and only one member of staff has any English. We can speak a limited amount of Spanish but will definitely learn more once we get there.

Hopefully we will be buying our motorhome cash and would like to know about the dealership in Elche as we will try to get around and see different models so that we know what we want. It's a shame that the motorhome show in Barcelona is only on every 2 years and isn't on this year and we couldn't get to Düsseldorf.

Anyway off to have a farewell dinner with friends and family and plenty nice cava to practice for coming to Spain !!!

Upvote 0

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Elche dealership is Caravanas Cruz. We bought from them after visiting the MH & Caravan Show at Alicante in February 2014. Well worth a visit.

You won't be far from Almeria race circuit, if that happens to be of interest to you. I've ridden down there a few times over the years to watch the BSB race teams in pre-season testing.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
The Elche dealership is Caravanas Cruz. We bought from them after visiting the MH & Caravan Show at Alicante in February 2014. Well worth a visit.

You won't be far from Almeria race circuit, if that happens to be of interest to you. I've ridden down there a few times over the years to watch the BSB race teams in pre-season testing.
I know David the service manager at Caravanas Cruz very well and can recommend both him and Caravanas Cruz highly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Finnsgran

Finnsgran

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi sorry to take so long to reply but we were packing up in Scotland and travelling down through France and Spain. Just got the Internet sorted. You don't realise how much you miss it till it's not there.

I will certainly go to Elche. There are a few dealers round Murcia and Cartagena, so it would be worth a few days going round. We are still unpacking and trying to squeeze far too much stuff into our tiny house.

I still have some replies to read, thanks.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back