Bicycle racks - covers for the bikes. (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Got 2 folding bikes in garage, but may need to use rack, and in wet weather is there any commercially produced alternative to the 'bit of plastic' to protect them I've seen around?:RollEyes:

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Hi billkce,
We have 2 folding bikes that we also put on the Fiamma cycle rack.We purchased the plastic cycle cover- rubbish, it ripped to pieces the first time on, flapping all over.

So after much research and a few recommendations we purchased a cycle cover from Taylormade (the company that makes silver screens)
We got it from the Newark show. We are really impressed. It has a flap at the back so it fits over the two arms on the rack. It is large enough to cover two bikes easily and draws together around the bottom to totally enclose the bikes and its waterproof.The price was £35 :thumb:
Here is a link: Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i could be missing something here but i just cant get my head round the need to cover your bikes......will they melt or dissolve if they get a bit wet or dirty?::bigsmile:

i tow my burgman scooter behind the van but i dont have the urge to cover it to keep the rain and muck off.

it gets wet and mucky just riding it.

covers are a total waste of money in my book:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
It's a case of "each to their own" :Smile:
We prefer to cover them, just the same as when we take our scooter, we also cover that. From past experience, it doesn't take long once constantly exposed to the elements for the rust to set in. We feel cycles and also scooters are too expensive to neglect.

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Provided with my Van when i bought it from the previous owner is a very substantive canvas cover for cycles with zips and clips to secure it. The only problem is you need a set of step ladders to reach over the cycles to fit it which i am not prepared to take with me on my travels.:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's a case of "each to their own" :Smile:
We prefer to cover them, just the same as when we take our scooter, we also cover that. From past experience, it doesn't take long once constantly exposed to the elements for the rust to set in. We feel cycles and also scooters are too expensive to neglect.

fair enough.....:thumb:

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
Link Removedi use my old waterproof breathable motorbike cover over my bicycle , had it for years very strong and light weight it also has a draw string on the bottom to fully cover my bike.

i used it last year when touring Europe to fully cover the rear cycle rack .it's that big that i managed to cover a 90cm sat dish i mountain bike and 2 sun loungers ::bigsmile:
as they say out of sight out of mind
Link Removed
Link Removed

Last edited:

Jasonixulee

Free Member
Mar 17, 2011
United States
Funster No
MH
no
Exp
Will a short wheel base recumbent fit on a buses bicycle rack?

Probably. A Rans Rocket wheelbase is 41" and an upright wheelbase is 39".the fact that it will not fit on a buses bicycle rack is a bit troublesome, so I was thinking about finding a SWB recumbent for my everyday bike. Any SWB owners have experience with this?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We used to have a cover. It was a pain in the ar*e. All we do now is use one of those plastic overshoes on the saddles. :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi billkce,
We have 2 folding bikes that we also put on the Fiamma cycle rack.We purchased the plastic cycle cover- rubbish, it ripped to pieces the first time on, flapping all over.

So after much research and a few recommendations we purchased a cycle cover from Taylormade (the company that makes silver screens)
We got it from the Newark show. We are really impressed. It has a flap at the back so it fits over the two arms on the rack. It is large enough to cover two bikes easily and draws together around the bottom to totally enclose the bikes and its waterproof.The price was £35 :thumb:
Here is a link: Link Removed

Completely agree we have had our Taylormade covers for 6 years now they work as well now as when we bought them, we feel they give our bikes a bit of extra security (what you dont see and all that) as well as keeping them tidy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back