Approved/non approved tow bars (1 Viewer)

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I have an Elddis Accordo 135. Unfortunately I never had a tow bar fitted when new (earlier this year) when it would have been £575 as an option. The price now from the dealer is £800.

The reason for the tow bar is to fit a Thule Easybase and a Fiamma 320 Ultrabox (don’t like the bike racks, to high and block the rear window). After some discussion with Armitage Trailers http://www.armitagetrailers.com/TagBurstner.htm I can have one of their own make fitted for £690.

These are not type approved, does that mean at some point in the future (should I wish) I wouldn’t be able to pull a trailer. Also not sure if it falls into the scope of an MOT.

Brian

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As far as I remember, you can fit a non type approved towbar but they can only be used for things like bike racks. Somebody will be on soon to clarify, I'm sure

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have a look at this company.. and get a quote

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/motorhome_towbars.html

Vehicle Registration Date Towbar options

Before April 2012 e.g. ‘60’, ‘11’, ‘61’
Non-Approved towbar can be fitted and used as normal
Type Approved towbar can be fitted and used as normal

After April 2012 e.g. ‘12’, ‘62’, ‘13’ etc.
Non Approved towbar can be fitted but used only for bicycle rack support, motorbike or scooter rack support, other load carrying devise
Type Approved towbar should be fitted for all towing applications

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you don't need a towbar as such why not just make some brackets to hold your bike rack and box then regs don't come into it

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
If you don't need a towbar as such why not just make some brackets to hold your bike rack and box then regs don't come into it

No where to put the brackets. The bike racks loop over the rear window, completely blocking it.

File photo:

Broken Link Removed

Brian

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
I had a tow bar fitted on my elddis majestic it was a witter only one approved by elddis , you might not want to invalid warranty that was by marquis about £400 3yrs ago :)

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

After taking note of the comments and reading through the links it would seem non type approved are OK for bike racks, boxes etc. and should not to used to pull a trailer (the comment about insurance in one of the links was worth making a note of) - which is OK, as I don’t envisage ever pulling a trailer.

I think that’s the way to go for me, I already own the Thule Easybase and Fiamma box so it would be a waste not to use them when needed.

At the very least I’ll end up with a nice shiny stainless steel rear bumper :D

Brian

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I had a tow bar fitted on my elddis majestic it was a witter only one approved by elddis , you might not want to invalid warranty that was by marquis about £400 3yrs ago :)

Yep, good point.

Brian

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I can recommend Watlings. Not that cheap but they know their stuff. They have done two of my vans

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi Brian,

I, like many on here, have used Mike Parkinson, based outside of Preston. He has a fixed price (was £350 when I bought one) for the fabrication and fit. He will lend you one of his cars for the duration of the work. Try giving him a call on 01772 634215, or use google to see what he has done in the past.

J

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Decided to go with Armitage trailers (closer to home). The fitting is a lengthy process (7 1/2 hours) but very pleased with the results. Thule Easybase fit's on a treat. Good bunch of guys in the workshop at Armitage's, seem to take pride in their work - a happy camper

Towbar_zpsrmmtqofb.jpg

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back