How do you change the dip beam bulb 2001 Hymer B644? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As title.. dip beam on the B series 2001 Hymer with the small round headlights..

I had a look at this yesterday, can't be reached from the engine bay, the only way I can see of doing this is to remove the front wheel and the wheel arch liner.. If that is the case then I'm leaving it to the garage..

Or is there an easier way ?

PS.. I've already searched the forum and Googled with no luck

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
With great difficulty Jim. :(

My mechanic pal can do it with his back to the grill, reach in and feel his way by taking the rubber cover off, and undoing the spring clip. During this time, he was having a conversation with me, undeterred by the process. :LOL:

I have since had a go myself Jim, and it is possible, without taking the wheel arch liner off, but being a short ar#e, I had to stand on a box to give me enough height to get my arm in, facing the grill.

Good luck pal. (y)

Jock. :)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I did mine from in the engine bay, you just have too do it by feel because you can't get your arm in and see what your doing. I had a look with a mirror first so I could see the layout. Fiddly but possible.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I'll bet it was no easy task Jim. ;)

Glad to see that you are sorted. (y)

Did I read some where, that you were down at Mimizan Plage...............again recently? ;)

I hope you, Jan, and Charlotte had a smashing time, and that your Hymer never missed a beat. (y)

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sorry for the delay in replying, been away for 10 days in Wales.. ...

thanks for the tips and advice.. and yes, I did eventually manage to change the lamp from the engine bay..

thanks all :)

Yes it's a bit fiddly but do-able. You have to be able to work by feel because you can't really see what your doing when your arms in there. Glad you got sorted(y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Did I read some where, that you were down at Mimizan Plage...............again recently? ;)

Hi Jock

yes.. we had three weeks in France.. van went great.. never missed a beat.. we came home on the 12th .. Stayed at Mimizan Plage, and then Honfluer for a few days..

Just back from 10 days in Wales.. stayed at Cwmcuttan site..

we took the opertunity of some 'us time' while Chaz was at Army Cadet camp in Exmoor.. she's home today.. peace shattered.. :LOL:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
we took the opertunity of some 'us time' while Chaz was at Army Cadet camp in Exmoor.. she's home today.. peace shattered.. :LOL:
:LOL:

Glad to hear that you've been galavanting, with no bother at all pal. (y)
Honfluer (and Le Mont St Michel) brings back memories of the dearest beers I've ever had. :( We are off to Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany next weekend......................and I can't wait. ;)

Back on topic ;)...........BTW Jim, I changed my bulbs as a pair, and kept the good one as a spare, on the theory that they were both the same age, and the other would be likely to blow sometime soon. Peter Hambilton did a wee modification for me, so that when at Dover (outbound) or Dunkerque (inbound) I can just reach in behind the lamps, and rotate them by a few degrees, to alter the dipped beam for either side of the water. (y)

Cheers for now,

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:LOL:

Back on topic ;)...........BTW Jim, I changed my bulbs as a pair, and kept the good one as a spare, on the theory that they were both the same age, and the other would be likely to blow sometime soon. Peter Hambilton did a wee modification for me, so that when at Dover (outbound) or Dunkerque (inbound) I can just reach in behind the lamps, and rotate them by a few degrees, to alter the dipped beam for either side of the water. (y)

Cheers for now,

I did mine, they have 3 screws which hold the lamp in left or right position. I loosened all screws just enough to allow it to rotate and then just tightened the top screw to lock it in position, then when your at the port it's a simple job to loosen the 1 screw and rotate lamp.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Did mine last weekend Jim or rather my son the mechanic did. We actually replaced the light at the same time as its been cracked for 2 years.
What a poxy job wheel off inner liner out and still a knuckle scraping job and took 2 hours even 4ft high on a hydraulic lift. Not an easy job especially if the vans ground level.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
With great difficulty Jim. :(

My mechanic pal can do it with his back to the grill, reach in and feel his way by taking the rubber cover off, and undoing the spring clip. During this time, he was having a conversation with me, undeterred by the process. :LOL:

I have since had a go myself Jim, and it is possible, without taking the wheel arch liner off, but being a short ar#e, I had to stand on a box to give me enough height to get my arm in, facing the grill.

Good luck pal. (y)

Is he the same guy who I saw pulling his torso through a tennis raquet after dislocating his shoulders ?
Phil

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

nothing to do with Hymer lights.. :LOL:

home safe.. it was great to have some peace and quiet, but missed her and great to have her home..

couple of pics.. more on the Suffolk Army Cadet FB page https://www.facebook.com/SuffolkArmyCadetForce?fref=ts

on parade
11950293_1178284255531627_5665985194793656603_o.jpg

group photo , front row, second from right
11950409_1178296465530406_5983781810449131268_o.jpg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I did mine, they have 3 screws which hold the lamp in left or right position. I loosened all screws just enough to allow it to rotate and then just tightened the top screw to lock it in position, then when your at the port it's a simple job to loosen the 1 screw and rotate lamp.
Yes, I found all that out ten years ago, and decided that whilst Peter was already doing other work for us, I'd get him to make life easier for me,which didn't add much to the original bill.
So many before me have rounded off the screw heads trying to alter the lamps, as well as reporting of blood and skin extraction in the process. :LOL: Now, I don't have to bother with trying to locate and loosen even one screw. ;)

Well done to your Charlotte, Jim & Jan. Things like the cadets is good character building stuff for Youngsters. (y)

Cheers,

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The rotation of the lamps Jock.
No probs. After Peter Hambilton's modification and labelling on the slam panel, I open the bonnet at Dover, and with my back to the grill, I reach in to the right and rotate the lamp by a few degrees. I then do the same on the left. Job done. On the way back at Dunkerque, I reverse the procedure.

Peter obviously carried out the mod in a manner that prevents the rotation of the lamps becoming loose over time. Normally you have to access 3 x screws on the rear chassis of each lamp.............and that's the difficult part.
removing the wheel arch liners makes the job much easier, but I can't be ar##d to do that every time I want to cross the water. :(

Cheers,

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have tried to switch the lamps several times but have given up. I have had the front bumper off several times to gain access behind the wheel arches but I have never managed to locate all three screws on each lamp. I think one on each is behind the lamp levelling system and I cannot get at it. So I simply fit a beam deflector to the lamp glass with three thin strips of weatherproof sellotape - they are no longer self-adhesive. Been using the same pair of beam deflectors for 5 or 6 years now.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Philip, I tried the so called "projector lamp" beam benders, but they were useless. :(
Our MH is LHD, and an mot inspector meant well when he applied black insulating tape to alter the beams for the UK test. I had to tear them off when the glue started melting, giving off smoke. :eek: I didn't want to risk cracking the lens.
He told me that if I took it back to him the next time, he would fail it if the beams weren't altered.

Since the mod, the dipped beam has never been a problem. (y)

Cheers,

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The headlamps on mine were set for UK use before we bought the van (it's LHD too). I only use the self-adhesive silver striped deflector discs when abroad and as mentioned, they are no longer self-adhesive. I use just thin strips of clear sellotape to fasten them and have never noticed any signs of over heating.
I asked Peter Hambilton about the modification when we were there a couple of years ago. He said he could do it but did not rush to recommend the job as he said it was still a bit of a fiddle swapping the lamps even after the mod.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back