Britstops in Devon and Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
This September we will be off to the West Country for a couple of weeks, culminating in the Cornish Food and Drink Festival meet. We want to tour around and see all the sites. We have not been there for over 25 years, and even then we have never been to the far South west tip.

We are looking to use "Aire" type stops rather than formal campsites if possible. Does the Britstop book have lots of places in Cornwall and are some of them close to some of the tourist spots we should be going to please?

Bit loath to buy it unless it is going to be useful on this trip, because I suspect it will be the only time we use it before it runs out in February 2016.

Also has anybody got any suggestions as to the "must do" attractions (already going to Eden and Hanging Gardens we think) and also any small informal places to stop please?

Many thanks in advance

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
There are 96 Britstops in the South west with includes Cornwall where there are 16 so you might find buying the book useful. Compare the cost of staying on a club site or a commercial site and the book purchase is a no brainer.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
If you go in groups at the top their is a Brit stops one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
check out some BritStop reviews on the FUN group page, will give you some idea of the type & quality available here in the far SW (the lower the number, the further west it is)
Broken Link Removed

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Don't want to spoil your fun but to my mind the "Eden Project" is an overpriced attraction (£23 the last timeI went! It's a bloody green house!) . Like wise the "Lost gardens of Helligan"

You'd be a lot better off going to the Minack Theatre £3, Going to the Lizard, Kynace Cove, Cape Cornwall, the walk there either way, is spectacular(free), Falmouth, (use the park and ride £5)or if you want the "Quarry Carpark", make sure you go to the Pendennis Point on the way out. Gwithian, Portreath! all just the price of the Pay and display
You can off course go to the tourist traps, pay through the nose, Lands End, Polperro, Looe, Fowey, St Ives, Padstow, tired towns Rip off prices, bad food!

Watch the Sun rise over the East coast (Falmouth Bay?Rame head?)Then take a lazy ride/ lunch/dinner and watch it set over the west coast! Just sit there (Cape Cornwall? ) and watch it set down, down, down, into the sea, maybe! if you are lucky! the green flash, the second it disappears

Magic! and it's free!!! Better than any bloody giant greenhouse!

The real Cornwall loud, proud, and on display, if! you know where it is!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've just bought the Britstops book and it is fine but to be honest if you have a brass neck you don't need it. Spot a pub with a car park which isn't full, park and say you are going to have a couple of pints there and ask if you can stay overnight. You won't be turned away as country pubs are struggling and need every customer.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
theres parking on goss moor near roche on the old a30 . or sneak a night up at castle an-dinas . some of the best views in the county from the old fort.
inland you can aslmost stop anywhere sensibly off the roads .
by the coast in the tourist areas no chance.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I'm in Cornwall at the moment , haven't done the Eden project ,but have gone to tintagel , Padstow and Newquay which are tourist traps ,on the other hand there are a lot of excellent small coastal villages ,as I type the moon has come out from behind the clouds and is adding to the magnificent view across the bay at Port issac ,it all looks a bit like some black and white smugglers movie , the atmosphere is quite excellent , all that is missing is a man on a horse galloping along with his black cape flying around him ,if I had a tripod I'd take the photo:)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I'm in Cornwall at the moment , haven't done the Eden project ,but have gone to tintagel , Padstow and Newquay which are tourist traps ,on the other hand there are a lot of excellent small coastal villages ,as I type the moon has come out from behind the clouds and is adding to the magnificent view across the bay at Port issac ,it all looks a bit like some black and white smugglers movie , the atmosphere is quite excellent , all that is missing is a man on a horse galloping along with his black cape flying around him ,if I had a tripod I'd take the photo:)
if you need somewhere to have a stop near eden . give me a pm . there is room on my drive for a 33 ft m,home . if you need toilet drop water all available . even have outside toilet available .
you better be careful though doc martin will be watching you. ha ha .

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
if you need somewhere to have a stop near eden . give me a pm . there is room on my drive for a 33 ft m,home . if you need toilet drop water all available . even have outside toilet available .
you better be careful though doc martin will be watching you. ha ha .

Thank you vwalan for your most excellent offer , unfortunately we are heading home tomorrow, missus wanted to come to port issac as she was the production accountant for the prequel to doc Martin

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
This September we will be off to the West Country for a couple of weeks, culminating in the Cornish Food and Drink Festival meet. We want to tour around and see all the sites. We have not been there for over 25 years, and even then we have never been to the far South west tip.

We are looking to use "Aire" type stops rather than formal campsites if possible. Does the Britstop book have lots of places in Cornwall and are some of them close to some of the tourist spots we should be going to please?

Bit loath to buy it unless it is going to be useful on this trip, because I suspect it will be the only time we use it before it runs out in February 2016.

Also has anybody got any suggestions as to the "must do" attractions (already going to Eden and Hanging Gardens we think) and also any small informal places to stop please?

Many thanks in advance
It's £25 quid. Do you're self a favour and just get the book...a single nights free stay, in any 12 month period, will have it covered...simples!!! You'll recoup your money in a single stay.

Heading for the West Country myself tomoz and will use BritStops wherever I can, but then I spent the £25 and haven't regretted a penny of it!!! :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We're using a Britstop en route to Cornwall, then switching to the Caravan Club at Tintagel (apparently the views are meant to be stunning) before heading off to Truro to meet up.
I think Britstops is excellent value for money, furthermore we discovered France Passion and Fatore Amico which are the French and Italian versions via links from the Britstops website. In France and Italy we've stayed on some great farms and wineries. In fact we're off to France again at the end of the week for another 'jaunt' staying on France Passion wineries in the Alsace region, and at a Champagne producer on the way back.
I think Britstops and their European counterparts are great value, and if you're going to stay in a car park, it may as well be at a pub!
See you in September - hoping the weather is going to be kind

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back