DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A recent thread drew attention to the danger of thieves getting in through the cab doors when the occupants are asleep, even when the doors are locked. Unfortunately, I have been known not to even lock the doors when we go to sleep and as I often leave my camera gear in a rucksack in the driver's foot well I suspect it may only be a matter of time before someone helps themselves to it!

So I decided to fit some cab door deadlocks, on the assumption once we are on a pitch or aire we can close them and then just enter and leave through the habitation door, which as we have a PVC is a great big metal sliding thingy which my wife sleep against and I doubt anyone could climb over her without waking one of us so even if I do forget to lock the doors we should be reasonably secure.

We bought the locks from John Cross getting the 10% Funster discount which effectively pays for the post and packing.

The instructions are multi-lingual in that they are just pictures with no writing at all.

The locks are relatively easy to fit but getting them in the right position is tricky and moving them if you drill the holes in the wrong place would be very tricky, so you have to get it right first time.

The lock consists of two main parts, an arm which swings and a squarish shaped bit the arm attaches to which I called a plinth. The wordless instructions are silent on the issue of part numbers and names. It is the plinth bit which has to be fixed accurately to the door which is the first operation. There is also a small third part which is a grey plastic cover which clips over the arm when all is fitted.

The only clue in the instructions is where it shows they are to be positioned 10mm from something, but what the something is is not obvious at first glance. I thought they meant 10mm from the edge of the door when I first looked at it but it isn't, it is 10mm from the inside of the door frame. So to get the plinth in the right place you have to work from the inside with the door initially shut.

The trick is to place the plinth so there is enough clearance for it and the swing arm to clear the door frame.

8MNzoDVSyq5lNHHsHV-lzd7ykJwezY_aIPtPesAsAty_=w1215-h911-no

In the picture above the door has been opened slightly and as the plinth swings past it the gap which was initially 10mm closes up and by the time the arm has been added the gap was almost non-existent.

Realising getting the plinth position correct was key I first fitted it with a single screw. The instructions show a 5mm drill but I found that a bit generous after doing the first one so all subsequent holes I drilled to 4mm. Marking the door for the hole is a bit tricky, pencil didn't work so I used a fine tip marker type pen.

The picture below shows the plinth in position but still only fixed by a single screw in the top left corner.

YE86qB-A7wry3SmqwXcVUpZiqBpNqwcyV8wfWOcRtne1=w1215-h911-no

Note the plinth sits on a rubber gasket. When I was sure the plinth was in the right position I used the 5mm drill through the holes in the plinth to make a spot mark on the door frame where the other holes were to be drilled though I think 6mm would be better as mentioned later. I then removed the plinth.

LsJl4oHmZvLGHENPJ0A9tUTwxxGALFXxvJN2Z2MZBCH3=w1215-h911-no

In hindsight I was lucky to get away with spotting all three screws as the bottom right screw actually goes though metal which is slightly sloping and when I came to do the plinth on the other door the plinth moved as the drill ran down the slope. So I advise only spot the hole directly underneath the first one, re-fit the plinth and then do the other ones and I would also suggest use a 6mm drill to do the spotting - just make sure you only mark the door of course and don't drill through! This is one place a blunt drill is useful.

Anyway, after drilling the other 3 holes - I pilot drill with a 1.5mm or 2mm first then open up to 4mm, not 5mm as the instructions suggest, you can then fit the plinth, not forgetting the rubber gasket, then fit the swinging arm using the special bolt but do remember to fit the white rubber bungs before you fit the arm for the last time. I forgot on one side and though the top two are easy to fit the bottom ones aren't - but I managed it eventually!

2dklDiKd1XTpxm5HT22ITBxbLOqBIKuo52JmixA2IqIs=w1215-h911-no

The hex head bolt can be seen sticking out of the arm in the picture above. Now comes a real point of no return and before making this move make absolutely certain the lock is in the right place. Then go and have a cup of tea to calm you nerves, come back and tighten the bolt so the head sheers off at the weak point machined into it. :eek: It is now fixed more or less for ever, removing the lock is not an option beyond this point without more or less wrecking it.

_rFt7UULfHUNlQJWyTZJ5HBOt0BK5t2jJuhQ5qBzcCzM=w684-h911-no

See how close the arm comes to the door frame as the door opens in the picture above, taken before the bolt head had been sheared off. When the plastic cover has been fitted to the arm I found it just lightly rubbed the door frame so when I came to do the other side I fitted the plinth so it was 12mm away from the door frame rubber when the door was shut.

The installation is not perfect as there are switches on my door frames which foul the arm and prevent it from easily moving to the horizontal position, where you can lock them in position.

cLG1-TphgRbI-_TOk7PG0aTJ3skxT8rfPJBBtQCvO1K_=w1215-h911-no

So mine stop about where shown in the picture above, which also shows the grey plastic cover in place. They can be pushed down further but it is a bit of a struggle and I am not sure if we want to lock them anyway as this could be critical if we had say a fire and needed to get out of one of the cab doors for some reason. Even in the position shown above the doors cannot be opened more than a tiny fraction, just enough to uncompress the rubber door seal, no gap appears, so I don't see anyone being able to slide something in to move the arm out of the way. :)

Last edited:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Glad you have got these sorted, great advice & photos (y) When I suggested these on the other thread Mr Womble did say they were a bit of a **** to fit but thought he was just being overly cautious - can see now why these took him so long to fit! Being on Transit doors, ours do go to the horizontal position & although they are normally flipped into position at night we only lock them if leaving the motorhome as agree that they could prevent a swift enough exit in case of a fire.

Reactions: DBK
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Would this work if the door was flush with the frame ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Would this work if the door was flush with the frame ?
I am fairly sure they wouldn't. The plinth is about 50mm high. I can measure them exactly if you want - but about to rain outside so this may be delayed!

I think these are only for MHs built on a PVC or a C Class which has the Fiat cab. For any other MH, such as a Transit (which @Wombles has done) you would have to measure the distance from the door pillar to the door frame to be sure if they would fit.

For a MH with a door flush on the inside, perhaps an A class, then you would need something else, perhaps the sash window locks mentioned in the other thread here: (Post #42) http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/motorhome-robbery-fiat-security.114551/page-3 You could fit blocks under the arm but it would protrude into the cab a long way if everything was flush.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I am fairly sure they wouldn't. The plinth is about 50mm high. I can measure them exactly if you want - but about to rain outside so this may be delayed!

I think these are only for MHs built on a PVC or a C Class which has the Fiat cab. For any other MH, such as a Transit you would have to measure the distance from the door pillar to the door frame. For a MH with a door flush on the inside, perhaps an A class, then you would need something else, such as the sash window locks mentioned in the other thread here: (Post #42) http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/motorhome-robbery-fiat-security.114551/page-3
Bought some of those, tried fitting them today, but sadly no good as they are designed for a rebated widow sash, rather than flush.
A simple door bolt would work, but it would look a bit naff

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
good write up with the pics,thanks.Pity there,s not enough door frame width available for mine on a renault master base.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
What type of motorhome cab did u fit these to? I have a 2004 fiat Ducato based motorhome but it says on the advert for the locks that they fit the newer Ducato, just wondering if they would actually fit mine?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Thule and fiamma do these locks as well now.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Abus also do similar, and also for the earlier pre 2006 Ducatos too, and their version is I think more substantial and as it attaches on a plate which uses the same locating holes as the door handles, needs no additional drilling.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What type of motorhome cab did u fit these to? I have a 2004 fiat Ducato based motorhome but it says on the advert for the locks that they fit the newer Ducato, just wondering if they would actually fit mine?
Mine is a 2013 Ducato PVC.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
This is a very good post and love the good quality photo's too but, they are expensive to purchase.
I went to local Boat Chandlers with motorhome got the guy to measure the distance between the armrests on the doors and had them make me up a small wire rope sling, pvc coated c/w crimped eyelets at both ends.
!0 second job to loop it through both handles and steering wheel, snap a padlock on both ends , both doors now secure and you can if required still drive away if required, sorted for £12.80 for the wire and £5.25 for the padlock !!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Abus also do similar, and also for the earlier pre 2006 Ducatos too, and their version is I think more substantial and as it attaches on a plate which uses the same locating holes as the door handles, needs no additional drilling.

Have you a link please? Ta

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On the basis you forget to lock one lock but you'd never forget to lock two locks ????
Press a button and they all lock. I just need to remember to press the button. :)

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I got identical locks to these today for £10 each lock in "Wikes", worth a try. Ebay can be a right rip off sometimes haha.
Screenshot_20180118-214610.png

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Thought I would add a couple of pics of the locks I fitted from Wikes, very easy to fit, I added a spacer as you can see so there is no movement now. Perfect for pre 2006 fiat Ducato motorhomes.
20180122_152111.jpg
20180122_151854.jpg

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Wished I seen the above OP post before I fitted them to my new well new to me MoHo cos I boobed big time ?.

I started by looking at the poor instructions and fitting the base horizontal and not vertical and making sure I could open and close the door so marked, drilled.

After I drilled it didn’t look right and by that point it was to late so fitted the arm and centre snap bolt and job done, nooooooooooooo ?.

Now when I look at the side of the base I can see the screws and when the arm is in the open position it catches the pillar rubber edging and causes the door not to open haaaaaaaa.

I then had another look at the poor instructions and realised that the base should of been turned horizontal and that’s what I did to the drivers door and this time fits like a glove, opens and closes a dream so........

Now do I cut off the passenger lock with a disc cutter buy another lock and fit it correctly and if that’s the only way forward what's the best way forward to hide the old holes?

I can post a few strong words right now but I’ll get banned and I’m not amused with myself at all.

A recent thread drew attention to the danger of thieves getting in through the cab doors when the occupants are asleep, even when the doors are locked. Unfortunately, I have been known not to even lock the doors when we go to sleep and as I often leave my camera gear in a rucksack in the driver's foot well I suspect it may only be a matter of time before someone helps themselves to it!

So I decided to fit some cab door deadlocks, on the assumption once we are on a pitch or aire we can close them and then just enter and leave through the habitation door, which as we have a PVC is a great big metal sliding thingy which my wife sleep against and I doubt anyone could climb over her without waking one of us so even if I do forget to lock the doors we should be reasonably secure.

We bought the locks from John Cross getting the 10% Funster discount which effectively pays for the post and packing.

The instructions are multi-lingual in that they are just pictures with no writing at all.

The locks are relatively easy to fit but getting them in the right position is tricky and moving them if you drill the holes in the wrong place would be very tricky, so you have to get it right first time.

The lock consists of two main parts, an arm which swings and a squarish shaped bit the arm attaches to which I called a plinth. The wordless instructions are silent on the issue of part numbers and names. It is the plinth bit which has to be fixed accurately to the door which is the first operation. There is also a small third part which is a grey plastic cover which clips over the arm when all is fitted.

The only clue in the instructions is where it shows they are to be positioned 10mm from something, but what the something is is not obvious at first glance. I thought they meant 10mm from the edge of the door when I first looked at it but it isn't, it is 10mm from the inside of the door frame. So to get the plinth in the right place you have to work from the inside with the door initially shut.

The trick is to place the plinth so there is enough clearance for it and the swing arm to clear the door frame.

8MNzoDVSyq5lNHHsHV-lzd7ykJwezY_aIPtPesAsAty_=w1215-h911-no

In the picture above the door has been opened slightly and as the plinth swings past it the gap which was initially 10mm closes up and by the time the arm has been added the gap was almost non-existent.

Realising getting the plinth position correct was key I first fitted it with a single screw. The instructions show a 5mm drill but I found that a bit generous after doing the first one so all subsequent holes I drilled to 4mm. Marking the door for the hole is a bit tricky, pencil didn't work so I used a fine tip marker type pen.

The picture below shows the plinth in position but still only fixed by a single screw in the top left corner.

YE86qB-A7wry3SmqwXcVUpZiqBpNqwcyV8wfWOcRtne1=w1215-h911-no

Note the plinth sits on a rubber gasket. When I was sure the plinth was in the right position I used the 5mm drill through the holes in the plinth to make a spot mark on the door frame where the other holes were to be drilled though I think 6mm would be better as mentioned later. I then removed the plinth.

LsJl4oHmZvLGHENPJ0A9tUTwxxGALFXxvJN2Z2MZBCH3=w1215-h911-no

In hindsight I was lucky to get away with spotting all three screws as the bottom right screw actually goes though metal which is slightly sloping and when I came to do the plinth on the other door the plinth moved as the drill ran down the slope. So I advise only spot the hole directly underneath the first one, re-fit the plinth and then do the other ones and I would also suggest use a 6mm drill to do the spotting - just make sure you only mark the door of course and don't drill through! This is one place a blunt drill is useful.

Anyway, after drilling the other 3 holes - I pilot drill with a 1.5mm or 2mm first then open up to 4mm, not 5mm as the instructions suggest, you can then fit the plinth, not forgetting the rubber gasket, then fit the swinging arm using the special bolt but do remember to fit the white rubber bungs before you fit the arm for the last time. I forgot on one side and though the top two are easy to fit the bottom ones aren't - but I managed it eventually!

2dklDiKd1XTpxm5HT22ITBxbLOqBIKuo52JmixA2IqIs=w1215-h911-no

The hex head bolt can be seen sticking out of the arm in the picture above. Now comes a real point of no return and before making this move make absolutely certain the lock is in the right place. Then go and have a cup of tea to calm you nerves, come back and tighten the bolt so the head sheers off at the weak point machined into it. :eek: It is now fixed more or less for ever, removing the lock is not an option beyond this point without more or less wrecking it.

_rFt7UULfHUNlQJWyTZJ5HBOt0BK5t2jJuhQ5qBzcCzM=w684-h911-no

See how close the arm comes to the door frame as the door opens in the picture above, taken before the bolt head had been sheared off. When the plastic cover has been fitted to the arm I found it just lightly rubbed the door frame so when I came to do the other side I fitted the plinth so it was 12mm away from the door frame rubber when the door was shut.

The installation is not perfect as there are switches on my door frames which foul the arm and prevent it from easily moving to the horizontal position, where you can lock them in position.

cLG1-TphgRbI-_TOk7PG0aTJ3skxT8rfPJBBtQCvO1K_=w1215-h911-no

So mine stop about where shown in the picture above, which also shows the grey plastic cover in place. They can be pushed down further but it is a bit of a struggle and I am not sure if we want to lock them anyway as this could be critical if we had say a fire and needed to get out of one of the cab doors for some reason. Even in the position shown above the doors cannot be opened more than a tiny fraction, just enough to uncompress the rubber door seal, no gap appears, so I don't see anyone being able to slide something in to move the arm out of the way. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Wished I seen the above OP post before I fitted them to my new well new to me MoHo cos I boobed big time ?.

I started by looking at the poor instructions and fitting the base horizontal and not vertical and making sure I could open and close the door so marked, drilled.

After I drilled it didn’t look right and by that point it was to late so fitted the arm and centre snap bolt and job done, nooooooooooooo ?.

Now when I look at the side of the base I can see the screws and when the arm is in the open position it catches the pillar rubber edging and causes the door not to open haaaaaaaa.

I then had another look at the poor instructions and realised that the base should of been turned horizontal and that’s what I did to the drivers door and this time fits like a glove, opens and closes a dream so........

Now do I cut off the passenger lock with a disc cutter buy another lock and fit it correctly and if that’s the only way forward what's the best way forward to hide the old holes?

I can post a few strong words right now but I’ll get banned and I’m not amused with myself at all.
My sympathies. :( The instructions are very poor.

You might be able to drill out the bolt although it won't be easy. A sharp centre punch then a deep pilot hole of say 3mm diameter then open it up down to the shoulder. If you can then get the arm off you should be able to remove the remains of the bolt. After moving the base to the correct position it might then be possible to refit the arm with a homemade replacement bolt - I'm thinking a set screw with a couple of locknuts on it.
Best of luck.

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Thanks for posting the MILENCO look like a good product, I had been wondering about the Thule locks does any one know how they compare?

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
I might try drilling a centre hole and use a reverse tap to get it out might work.

Thanks.

My sympathies. :( The instructions are very poor.

You might be able to drill out the bolt although it won't be easy. A sharp centre punch then a deep pilot hole of say 3mm diameter then open it up down to the shoulder. If you can then get the arm off you should be able to remove the remains of the bolt. After moving the base to the correct position it might then be possible to refit the arm with a homemade replacement bolt - I'm thinking a set screw with a couple of locknuts on it.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I might try drilling a centre hole and use a reverse tap to get it out might work.

Thanks.
That would certainly be worth trying. I tend to lean towards the "looks complicated, need a bigger hammer" school. :)

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
The other issue I have then is putting the bolt back so may have to drill tap and die it back.

I’ll have a look tomorrow.

Regards.

That would certainly be worth trying. I tend to lean towards the "looks complicated, need a bigger hammer" school. :)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Fitted a set of the Milenco door locks today. this thread was a great help. If you dont get the pilot holes & 5mm holes in exactly the right place its a right bugger to get the screws in. I would also recommend runing the screws through the holes to open them up slightly before actually fitting the lock body.

• Thanks
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
These are the ones I fitted to our Rienza on a Mk6 Transit chassis. They left a slight gap between the arm and the door frame enabling the doors to open a little. I added a spacer to the back of the arm.
They would slow down any one trying to open the doors and means we can leave the alarm off at night when we are in bed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back