Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
A friend needs a tracker fitted to his new motorhome for insurance purposes, can anybody recommend a company please.:Smile:

I understand some tracker companies seem to go out of business very quickly.:Eeek:

Don

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Don

The very best on the market today... our very own Eddie Van Bitz <> Go to the bottom right-hand corner of their home page and it will direct you to their Phantom Tracker System - superb system !

At around £500 not cheap BUT worth every penny of it for peace of mind!

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
I'll happily second that - go to VanBitz. I have the "Phantom" system fitted and it not only does what it says on the can, but provides great peace of mind too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
New tracker

New tracker came in at work today been trying it out and seems a good product. Go to Link Removed cost is £400 can be used in motorhomes of course and no yearly subscription either. When you change vans just put it into your new van with no problem.
We tried it out and tracked it online watched it go round Crosshands no problem so boss ordered some in for stock so must come recommended. :thumb: ::bigsmile:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Well John from what I understand you are notified straight away that it is moving so they wouldn't have time to trash it. You keep tracking whatever vehicle and you/police pick it up before anything horrid happens to it. We tracked every second of our vehicle and could have caught it without problem.:Smile::thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
A friend needs a tracker fitted to his new motorhome for insurance purposes, can anybody recommend a company please.:Smile:

I understand some tracker companies seem to go out of business very quickly.:Eeek:

Don

Think you will find the best is actually the Tracker been in business a long time ,been on our works vans nearly 2yrs and is an absolute nusance.:Angry:

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
Contact Vanbitz.

When we upgrade to a yank, I'll only ever be going there for "all" my security needs. I'll not even bother to phone around for other options. I've known Mr & Mrs "Van Bitz" since 97', They are the only company I'll go to.

S

Smile

Deleted User
Trackers now a waste of time ?

Hi Don :Blush:

Before you pay out for a tracking system you should tap in "Tracker Jammers" into google. I have a tracker system fitted and untill now felt quite safe, but now wonder if the £99 a year sub is a waste of time because as usual the theives seem to be one step ahead.Your friend should spend his £500 on a top of the range alarm and other security measures, I have just added roof markings linked to a database and now have two wheel clamps

Regards Smile::bigsmile:

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi All

I have to second and third the recommendation for Eddie Vanbitz tracker and alarm system. Real peace of mind and the fitting is unobtrusive and very professional.

Kevin and Tricia

:thumb:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Think you will find the best is actually the Tracker been in business a long time ,been on our works vans nearly 2yrs and is an absolute nusance.:Angry:

In what way a nusance dude?

Been thinking about getting one myself...............:Cool:

Boo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we had Minor Planet trackers in our workvans..every time the boss tracked us online he had to pay a fee......being a tightwad he stopped using 'em..:thumb:

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Don :Blush:

Before you pay out for a tracking system you should tap in "Tracker Jammers" into google. I have a tracker system fitted and untill now felt quite safe, but now wonder if the £99 a year sub is a waste of time because as usual the theives seem to be one step ahead.Your friend should spend his £500 on a top of the range alarm and other security measures, I have just added roof markings linked to a database and now have two wheel clamps

Regards Smile::bigsmile:

All I will say is my unit recover millions of pounds worth of vehicles a year that are fitted with a tracking device of one kind or another.

There are several types... Some just transmit a signal that we pick up on special bits of kit. The other main type pings back a GPS co-ord to the companies Ops room who can plot it on a map.

I have the latter ( an RAC Trackstar ). I too have used Eddie in the past and would use him again.

Yes there may be ways around it but I still have one fitted to my vehicle

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Signal jammers have been around for a number of years, we have discussed the potential use of them with Thatcham, and their opinion is that they do not represent a problem.

I guess it is a little like you can buy things to pick locks, but we all still lock our houses and vehicles. This stops the majority of people the majority of the time.

Eddie

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Navman

What unit are you refering to ?

Braunston

All I will say is my unit recover millions of pounds worth of vehicles a year that are fitted with a tracking device of one kind or another.

There are several types... Some just transmit a signal that we pick up on special bits of kit. The other main type pings back a GPS co-ord to the companies Ops room who can plot it on a map.

I have the latter ( an RAC Trackstar ). I too have used Eddie in the past and would use him again.

Yes there may be ways around it but I still have one fitted to my vehicle

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
yep I am a cop and I work on the helicopter section.... and we recover quite a bit of kit every year :Smile:

............and is there any particualr brand of tracker that has a good reputation with you and your mates or are they all pretty much of a much.
Currently got a Phantom on my twin axle and have been very impressed with both its performance and the service from the call centre. I intend to have them fit the Proactive system to my new 5ver and would appreciate you thoughts.
Cheers:thumb:

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
............and is there any particualr brand of tracker that has a good reputation with you and your mates or are they all pretty much of a much.
Currently got a Phantom on my twin axle and have been very impressed with both its performance and the service from the call centre. I intend to have them fit the Proactive system to my new 5ver and would appreciate you thoughts.
Cheers:thumb:

Well all I can say really is that I have one that will tell the RAC control room where my van is parked.

In the UK they deal with the Police and abroad the control room deal with the owner so they can pass on the info to the police.

I have dealt with all the big players and there is not much difference really... Other than the original Tracker system needs a special bit of kit in the police car / helicopter...
(most forces have the kit fitted in their helicopter as far as I am aware).

With that in mind you may also want to consider having a roof making of some kind ( yes they can be taken off but what you are trying to do is slow down the bad guys a bit to give us extra time) I don't have my post code as it advertises where I live and where there may be an empty house.... Initials would be good or even your Motorhomefun name...:roflmto:

HTH

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thanks Navman, much appreciated. We could all debate on here all day about pro's and cons so it's good to get the opinion of someone who is really in the know.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Navman

Out of interest can you tell us how you/The Police respond to privately owned vehicles that have trackers fitted are they reported differently than normal stolen vehicles and are they given a higher priority i.e. do they actually put the helicopter up to go in search of them.

yep I am a cop and I work on the helicopter section.... and we recover quite a bit of kit every year :Smile:

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Hi, Navman

Out of interest can you tell us how you/The Police respond to privately owned vehicles that have trackers fitted are they reported differently than normal stolen vehicles and are they given a higher priority i.e. do they actually put the helicopter up to go in search of them.

I won't go into the deployment criteria of the helicopter for obvious reasons... What I will say is that I would deploy our aircraft if a vehicle with a tracking device was moving through our area...

HTH

S

Smile

Deleted User
Sorry

Hi Naveman

Sorry :cry: I did not set out to trash Tracker or other systems just wanted to point out that all good things come to an end someday.The security tracking systems gave us a good nights sleep but like I said the bad guys allways seem to come up with a way around things - Just reporting what i came across on google so people take other security steps as well and dont get caught out in the "Im ok Ive got a tracker fitted trap "

( I am glade that you think roof marking are a good idea nice to get it from the experts.

( I know that i had a job tracking them down so if anyone needs a name the place I got mine from were very helpfull with a fast service just contact me for details )

Regards smile ::bigsmile:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Hi everyone while having a Parrot fitted to our camper yesterday I was talking to the fitter about the reports on trackers on this website, when he informed that they fitted trackers to some hire campers which not only track the vehicle but can remotely switch the engine of when parked up. :ROFLMAO:
Brian and Marion

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back