Dometic RMD8555aes Fridge/Freezer. Fixed at last! (1 Viewer)

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We got our Bolero in Jan 2013,new from the factory. We have never been happy with the temps in fridge and freezer on Gas. We had a Dometic engineer change the control panel which did nothing and were told by Dometic that plus 7 degrees for fridge and -12 for freezer were best we would get.Recently we gotplus 12 for fridge and minus 8 for freezer.
After ringing Dometic ,they asked if we had had it serviced (Yes. Malcolm did it at P/Boro show this year and changed the burner but not the jet.) and said ring the new agent to come out and check it. The new agent said he could not come to us until end of Sept but if we took it the 60miles to his workshop he would do it today ( this was a conversation last Thursday) He said he knew what it would be as he recently had another just the same.
We went this morning and he changed the jet. He said it would have been wrong from new! It now works perfectly on gas. If you have similar it could be worth checking as it is possible that a batch were wrongly jetted. I tried to ring Dometic but it is easier to contact the dead! My seral number is 23400007, Product number is 009210778145.
Big thanks to Les at A19 Caravans, Seaham. Tel:0191 5815777. No connection other than a delighted customer.
Cheers
Bernie:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's very interesting, our van was new last year, I've never been happy withe the performance of the Dometic 8505 Fridge Freezer.
When we first had it the burner was extremely noisy and on mains it would get down to 6 deg, but on gas only 9 deg this was with outside temperatures of 15 - 18 deg. I had the burner changed now gets down to 4 - 5 deg and it's a lot quieter, but can still hear it inside the van. Certainly does not perform anywhere near as well as the 7000 series fridge in the last van.
Also @Techno100 on another thread has mentioned that a batch of 8000 series fridges went out without being fully gassed up.

Do you have any info on what the marking should be on the correct jet, as it would be easier to change a jet myself for a tenner rather than mess about getting someone out or taking it somewhere.

OP
OP
Ber090

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Lenny, The jet he removed had 45 on it and the correct one has 16. There are schematics available on line ( Dometic or the retail supplier) which allow you to see correct ones.
Hope this helps!
Bernie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We got our Bolero in Jan 2013,new from the factory. We have never been happy with the temps in fridge and freezer on Gas. We had a Dometic engineer change the control panel which did nothing and were told by Dometic that plus 7 degrees for fridge and -12 for freezer were best we would get.Recently we gotplus 12 for fridge and minus 8 for freezer.
After ringing Dometic ,they asked if we had had it serviced (Yes. Malcolm did it at P/Boro show this year and changed the burner but not the jet.) and said ring the new agent to come out and check it. The new agent said he could not come to us until end of Sept but if we took it the 60miles to his workshop he would do it today ( this was a conversation last Thursday) He said he knew what it would be as he recently had another just the same.
We went this morning and he changed the jet. He said it would have been wrong from new! It now works perfectly on gas. If you have similar it could be worth checking as it is possible that a batch were wrongly jetted. I tried to ring Dometic but it is easier to contact the dead! My seral number is 23400007, Product number is 009210778145.
Big thanks to Les at A19 Caravans, Seaham. Tel:0191 5815777. No connection other than a delighted customer.
Cheers
Bernie:)

If I remember rightly,you were looking for a shelf as well-is that sorted now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny, The jet he removed had 45 on it and the correct one has 16. There are schematics available on line ( Dometic or the retail supplier) which allow you to see correct ones.
Hope this helps!
Bernie
Thanks I'll have a look tomorrow that's a great help.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Interesting I bet @Broken Link Removed will be interested in this

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Had a look at the jet it is a 16, when taking the burner out I managed unknowingly to bend the flimsy steel support & when I fired it up there were flames where there shouldn't have been. After carefully reassembling and the burner lined up correctly I now have a nice quiet fridge burner and fridge appears to be working better.

Average temperatures now are:

upload_2015-8-25_22-49-5.png

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi guys would the lack of refidgerant gas effect the operation on 240 v electricity. Mine seems ok (but not great) on gas but pretty poor in operation on leccy. And really stops working if its not 100% level.
I did have quite a strong nasty sickly burning type smell coming from it for a while when it was brand new, but this seems to have reduced over time?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi guys would the lack of refidgerant gas effect the operation on 240 v electricity. Mine seems ok (but not great) on gas but pretty poor in operation on leccy. And really stops working if its not 100% level.
I did have quite a strong nasty sickly burning type smell coming from it for a while when it was brand new, but this seems to have reduced over time?
Yes, it does not matter what power source, mains, 12v or gas is only heating the unit to make the refrigerant circulate.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Had a look at the jet it is a 16, when taking the burner out I managed unknowingly to bend the flimsy steel support & when I fired it up there were flames where there shouldn't have been. After carefully reassembling and the burner lined up correctly I now have a nice quiet fridge burner and fridge appears to be working better.

Average temperatures now are:

View attachment 74043
Lenny are those temperatures from being in the UK or in hotter climes with say 30 degrees outside?

WinnieBago

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i810g
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Interesting - our van has just been returned after having a new control panel fitted (it's an 8 series as well). Damn thing wouldn't switch off and neither would it cool down. All seems to be fine now though; I'll have a look at the serial number when I'm back out to see it on Friday in case it is similar to yours.

As for +7 being the lowest temp you should get - that's not a fridge, that's a heater! Sounds like 7 shades of sh*t from Dometic to me.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny are those temperatures from being in the UK or in hotter climes with say 30 degrees outside?
This week in the freezing UK outside temp about 17.
Certainly getting colder than it was, although in the past it has not performed that well, never noticed much difference in performance when temperatures have been in the low 30's.
Off to Greece in just over a week fingers crossed.:)

Edit:
Last van had a 7000 series fridge/freeze that worked very well it was the first fridge that I have been able to use with temps in the 30's without additional fans, the 8000 appears to be a pile of poo, how can large companies with their resources get it so wrong.

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I am struggling with it in mid thirties at the moment. I have fitted the extractor fans but on number 4 during the day its 8-9 on EHU. I like my white wine just a tad cooler don't you know.
Over night when outside is low 20's its at 4.5. Then soon as you open it kapow!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If the outside temp is in he mid 30's you need to run on gas, no chance of it getting cold enough on EHU especially on a foreign campsite where the mains could be as low if not lower than 200v.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Obviously one of the benefits of my US RV, never had to fuss at all, now fans in the exhaust duct and remember to switch off when departing, run on gas, generally third world!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back