Stupid question(s) - towing and vehicle weights (1 Viewer)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
So, planning to take my Rapido 9010DF to a weighbridge when we go on holiday later this week as it will be fully loaded. I'm fully expecting it to be over 3.5 ton given that we have a towbar, solar/satellite and air suspension. However, I'm planning to (if we are over weight) to upgrade the weight to something more usable as the missus has her license which will allow her to drive anything. I'll have to pass my LGV test.

My questions are this:

1) In the unlikely event that we come in at 3.5t, how much can I tow (i.e can I pull a car). My GVW is aroung 5.5t.=, is it literally I can pull 2t?
2) If I get the weight upgraded, will I be able to pull more, or does the GVW remain static.
3) Finally, on my license in scenario 1, will I be able to tow a car?

I'd like eventually to get a small run around, so starting to plan accordingly.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
1. Yes. But hitching something to your tow bar will put extra weight on the rear axle so you need to make sure that doesn't go over weight as well.
2. The train weight will remain the same or possibly drop a bit. It won't go up.
3. What licence do you have? You need category BE if under 3.5t or C1E if over that.

Also don't wait until you go on holiday to weigh if you think you will have a problem (and with a Rapido A class rated at 3.5t you almost certainly will) as the uprate isn't instant. If everything goes as smoothly as it can you need to allow several weeks: a week to send the forms to SV Tech or alternative engineer and get them back then a fortnight minimum for DVLA to send you a new V5. You aren't legal at the new weight until you have that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I'm aware that it may take a while. Passed my license 12 years ago so standard one then. Where should I look for my plate? It has just dawned on me that this may have already been done by the previous owner and may assist in knowing what the vehicle is capable of loading.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm aware that it may take a while. Passed my license 12 years ago so standard one then. Where should I look for my plate? It has just dawned on me that this may have already been done by the previous owner and may assist in knowing what the vehicle is capable of loading.

On ours the original plates are under the bonnet. There's the original Fiat one and a Rapido one next to it. When we uprated there was nowhere to there to put the new one so I've put it somewhere else. If there is a third one for an uprate it could be anywhere. Easier to look on your V5 and see what that says.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
We imported from Germany so it is 3.5 on the V5. I understood the unladen weight to be 3020kg so we should have 500kg to play with. I'm guessing we would be over just based in some comments on the forum but without weighing it is pure speculation. I know we will be safe, technically in vosa's eyes overweight (potentially). The funny thing is, we're actually carrying exactly the same stuff that we had in our old VW camper - again as a guess that was not overweight (got inspected by vosa by the road and they were not concerned about weight just roadworthiness).

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I understood the unladen weight to be 3020kg

On a Rapido A class? :Eeek: I'd be amazed if that was anywhere near accurate. You've then added a tow bar, sat dish, solar panels and air suspension to it as well. If someone has told you it's 3020kg including all of that lot then I'm sorry but they were lying to you.

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If, as you suspect, you are over 3.5 tonnes when weighed, then I guess you will have to jettison quite a lot before going on holiday 'later this week'. I don't think you can get a van uprated that quickly.
Just on a technical point, the GVW is currently 3.5 tonnes. The higher figure you quote is the GTW which includes the vehicle and any towed trailer.
For the fully loaded motorhome: GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) also called MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) and sometimes referred to amongst the caravan fraternity as MTPLM (Max Technically Permitted Laden Mass).
For the motorhome plus trailer (or car): GTW (Gross Train Weight).
To remain legal all conditions must be met so, the maximum loaded weight of the motorhome cannot exceed GVW/MAM and the combination with a trailer cannot exceed GTW. At the same time, all the maximum axle loads must be respected, regardless of whether you are under the MAM or GTW.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
On a Rapido A class? :Eeek: I'd be amazed if that was anywhere near accurate. You've then added a tow bar, sat dish, solar panels and air suspension to it as well. If someone has told you it's 3020kg including all of that lot then I'm sorry but they were lying to you.

The dealer in Germany advised as such. I was dubious too.

However, according to the Rapido manual, it's 3030kg see link below:

Broken Link Removed

I've not added anything to the MH, these were put on by the previous owner, so I'm guessing that has add circa 200kg to the weight. Again, pure guesswork which is why I want to get weighed.

@JeanLuc thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The dealer in Germany advised as such. I was dubious too.

However, according to the Rapido manual, it's 3030kg see link below:

Broken Link Removed

I've not added anything to the MH, these were put on by the previous owner, so I'm guessing that has add circa 200kg to the weight. .

European converters especially are notorious for making up their weight figures out of thin air being incredibly optimistic with their weight figures.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Watch this space - I'll update on Friday when I get weighed with full water, fuel, beer, family, wheelchair etc...

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And on top of that 200Kgs that the former owner put on it, you have to add the good lady (chivalry prevents me making any comment):whistle:, anything you personally weigh above 75Kgs, and any water you take on board. It's easy to make 480kgs 'disappear'.

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Its not just the overall weight but the individual axle weight limits must not be exceeded!

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi ,I recon you will be overweight ,but most vans seem to run about overloaded.Chances of being stopped is slim,but if you are, all extra weight on the van will have to be removed at the side of the road before you can proceed .They do allow 5% if they are in a good mood .We have uprated to save the grief but still never carry a tank full of water but more relaxed.lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Dumping water will be the first point of call if it happens. Then the kids.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Posted some weighbridge data recently on a Rapido 881F, can't figure out how to post the link but here's an extract of the relevant bit. I'll very interested to see how you come in weight wise.

Had the 'truck' weighed this weekend to get a baseline figure and this just confirms all the great advice on this forum about payload. Current weight of vehicle with 2 gas bottles, about 75% of fuel, no water, bike rack (no bikes), spare tyre, the 2 of us and a few odds and sods - 3530Kg. No awning, no telly no bikes, no food etc - as we upgraded to the heavy chassis no issues.

Upvote 0

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
The other thing to remember if you only passed 12 years ago and have not taken any other tests........ If you are overloaded the offenses committed are overloading driving without the correct license and your insurance company could also void that so not just overweight.

A cat b license doesn't cover much at all and if I remember correct 12 years ago will restrict to 3500kg train weight also, there have been three changes to cat b since 1997 and I can't remember the exact dates they changed.

Much easier to do a C1 and be safe, though a cat C would be the same price and give you two licences, you would only be able to tow a max of 750 kg though without doing another test.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I'm not driving due to operation but missus has grandfather rights. Once we get weighed it will confirm if I need to upgrade my licence, which if I do will do properly and get up to 7.5t.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm not driving due to operation but missus has grandfather rights. Once we get weighed it will confirm if I need to upgrade my licence, which if I do will do properly and get up to 7.5t.

I looked into that for 'er indoors until I remembered she can't do it because she's diabetic. Be prepared for your eyes to water when you find out how much it will cost.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I'm factoring in around a grand?

Upvote 0

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I looked into that for 'er indoors until I remembered she can't do it because she's diabetic. Be prepared for your eyes to water when you find out how much it will cost.

Diabetes will not be a restricting factor unless on insulin if under control with diet or medication then the medical can be passed (y) we train many who are diabetic.

I'm factoring in around a grand?

Bit light on that figure but depends on experience, would always recommend Cat C not C1 same cost two licences for the price of one can also be taken in an automatic now but still obtain a manual licence, for me no brainer if spending that amount of money get the most out of it you can (y)

Cheers Rick

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Diabetes will not be a restricting factor unless on insulin if under control with diet or medication then the medical can be passed (y) we train many who are diabetic.

She's Type 1, insulin dependant. I've looked into it properly (y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
European converters especially are notorious for making up their weight figures out of thin air being incredibly optimistic with their weight figures.
Both the Hymer's we have had have been under brochure weight.:)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:Eeek: That's slow even by their standards. Mine came back in 10 days when I did it. :D
Took them 7 weeks to send it back first time with the mass weight still at 3500, they only changed the revenue weight.
Application went in at the end of April, still waiting for the refund.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Took them 7 weeks to send it back first time with the mass weight still at 3500, they only changed the revenue weight.
Application went in at the end of April, still waiting for the refund.

Mine was already PHGV, I just uprated it a bit more so there was no tax change to worry about. Maybe that was why it was quick.

Upvote 0

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
She's Type 1, insulin dependant. I've looked into it properly (y)

Yes unfortunately Insulin is the one that will 99.9% of the time stop licence acquisition in it's tracks, there was a time where any form of diabetes would prevent it or any heart problems even long past ones thankfully those days have gone.

Upvote 0

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Took our old Hymer B544 3.4kg mass, was very pleasantly surprised when it came in at 3080! :eek::):)

So you never know (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back