Overnight stopover near Calais (1 Viewer)

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
We're heading over to France next week on a late night ferry to Calais. We'll be arriving in the small hours and will be looking for a safe stopover within a 20 minute drive of the ferry port. Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Calais Port aire. 5 minutes as long as it's still open
Wissant aire. 20 minutes
Gravelines aire. 25 minutes
Watten aire. 30-35 minutes.

Depends which direction you're heading.

OP
OP
cbrown1360

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Wissant aire. 20 minutes

Heading south towards Abbeville / Paris.
Is the Calais port aire safe given the current migrant situation?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Heading south towards Abbeville / Paris.
Is the Calais port aire safe given the current migrant situation?

Calais port aire is fine. The only issue with it is that it's closing at some undefined point.

Personally, if it's just to sleep for a few hours, if I was going that way I would go to Wissant, it's quieter and it's free. Coast road out of Calais, through Sangatte. You can then get onto the motorway at Boulogne to carry on your journey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Gravelines every time, start there and end there, nice and quite only 20 mins to the port or tunnel. (y)

Agree if it's for anything else than just getting your head down for a couple of hours but it's in the wrong direction for the OP. If all he wants to do it get off the boat or train, kip for a while and then carry on it's barely worth adding the 50 minutes or so to the journey and also having to pay.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Agree if it's for anything else than just getting your head down for a couple of hours but it's in the wrong direction for the OP. If all he wants to do it get off the boat or train, kip for a while and then carry on it's barely worth adding the 50 minutes or so to the journey and also having to pay.
Nick the OP doesn't say which way he's going, so I've added my two penny's worth. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nick the OP doesn't say which way he's going, so I've added my two penny's worth. :)

Post #5 (y)

I agree with you that Gravelines is the best place within 30 minutes or so of Calais and it would be our choice on the way back every time but on the way out I try and at find somewhere more or less in the right direction. Have you tried Restaurant Le Turbot in Gravelines? If not it's well worth a look next time you're there.(y)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Wissant aire. 20 minutes

Have you stayed at Watten? We are thinking of going there Saturday night, 5th September: we arrive Calais at 5pm ish...does it get full ? Bit of a pain if we get there and there is no room!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Have you stayed at Watten? We are thinking of going there Saturday night, 5th September: we arrive Calais at 5pm ish...does it get full ? Bit of a pain if we get there and there is no room!

Yes. We stayed at Watten for our first night on our last trip. It's quite small, half a dozen official places if I remember correctly. There was plenty of space when we arrived at about 4.30pm ish but ended up full. You could probably squeeze in somewhere though, a few French vans did. The town doesn't have a lot but there's a nice little bar just over the bridge and a decent boulangerie for the next morning. You can watch the barges go past on the canal too. It's an ideal stopover if you're going East.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We always stop at the free aire in Bray Dunes, maybe 30 minutes away. There is also a service point at the nearby Car-four so you can fill up with water instead of carrying it all the way to France - See previous posts:)
We also always have to stock up on smokes next door in Adinkerke. Which is next door to De-Panne, a nice sea side town. We always stop at City Europe on the way back a few minutes from the ferry (and even closer to the tunnel) - after a call in at Adinkerke - you should be able to spot theme going on here?:rolleyes: Plus we can fill up with cheap French Diesel at the Car-four.

Seine

Free Member
Jul 31, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class Autotrail
Exp
Well why not try Bouloygne sur mur, 25 mins away, chip shop across the road. and if you have a dog with you , call into Maillaraye Sur Seine on your way back home, a nice Vet 15 euros a consultation.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Calais port aire is fine. The only issue with it is that it's closing at some undefined point.

Personally, if it's just to sleep for a few hours, if I was going that way I would go to Wissant, it's quieter and it's free. Coast road out of Calais, through Sangatte. You can then get onto the motorway at Boulogne to carry on your journey.
We stopped at Wissant on Monday night. Quite it wasnt, there seems to be some permanant residents living in a couple of caravans. A van and car turned up at around 11.00pm and left with a couple from one of the vans. They returned arounf 12.30am and chatted outside for a good half hour.
Also worth noting it was over full with parking in the bus spaces.
Cite de Europe for me. Always loads of space and no noise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back