Best Bike lock for Fiamma Bike Rack (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Hi All

is there a recommended lock solution to tie together 3/4 bikes on a bike rack? Im going through reviews but cant find a definitive "this is the thing to buy"

thanks in advance

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We took our bikes for the 1st time last weekend i used two kryptonite d shackles one through the bike rack the other fixing both bikes together, also i used 2 shorter kryptonite wire things going through bike rack wheels etc and a longer wire going through Motorhome chasis through bikes back to d shackles

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You could spend a couple of hundred quid on one really good lock. It depends how much your bikes are worth.

If you do that and someone really wants your bike all they'll do is cut the rack to get it. That's only made of aluminium.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
You could spend a couple of hundred quid on one really good lock. It depends how much your bikes are worth.

If you do that and someone really wants your bike all they'll do is cut the rack to get it. That's only made of aluminium.

yes was thinking the bike rack might be the weakest point.. thoughts were to chain up 3 bikes together.. might be too heavy for one person to nick..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
repeat post

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What's the value of the bikes? The weakness is the bike rack! As an aluminium rack can be cut though easily...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What's the value of the bikes? The weakness is the bike rack! As an aluminium rack can be cut though easily...

Absolutely. If it would be cheaper to replace the bikes than the rack then don't make it too difficult to steal them.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We ran a long locking bike chain through one of the cut outs in the MH chassis, upto the bike rack, then ran another chain through the first chain and then through the frames of the bikes.
Worked a treat !

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
one of the bikes has value, but i intend to downgrade as i dont need level of spec.. childs bike was £60 new and is a couple of years old.. misses bike is base model giant..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you had a Strikeback alarm then you would get an external loop that you can thread through things like bikes. To move them the thief has to break the loop which sets the alarm off. Just another deterrent.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You can get a movement padlock alarm for a few quid...

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
We got one of last week, and are quite impressed with it - enough to get another.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If someone wants your bike they have it. Any lock, chain, or the flexible wire type can be defeated in seconds with bolt croppers or angle grinder. Maybe the type that are alarmed might just put them off.
I never put my best bike on the motorhome for this reason.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We don't have a bike rack. If we take our bikes they fit in the garage without dismantling them.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We don't have a bike rack. If we take our bikes they fit in the garage without dismantling them.

Still need securing most garages can be opened with a screwdriver. Saw a Carthago the other week and door edge was wrecked.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Judge how do you lock your seat when out and about

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If I had bikes in my Garage I would chain them to a security anchor bolted to the floor

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Still need securing most garages can be opened with a screwdriver. Saw a Carthago the other week and door edge was wrecked.

The van's got a Strikeback which would be obvious to anyone who came sniffing around it. As has been said if anyone wants them they will have them it's all about deterrent. Also if they are out of sight they won't attract opportunists.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
We store ours in the garage whilst travelling with front wheels off:
bikes on slide.jpg

Unlike on a plastic box MH the rear doors have a external "builders" van type lock.

On arrival at site throw front wheels and seats in and on, and then secure to front towing ring using a

kryptonite-new-york-noose-1275-chain-lock-and-padlock.jpg

The advantage of the noose is it effectively doubles the length of the chain, its bloody heavy but will deter most thief's. And I know the front towing ring can be unscrewed but trying to unwind it with two bikes attached will be quite a floorshow.

If I was carry the bikes on a rack in transit as the OP is, I would either find (rear towing point?) or have a secure point fitted / welded- so in effect you are locking to part of the chassis and lock to that.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Our bikes are fitted with these:http://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks/Frame-Locks/Amparo-4850-Black, the cable add on then goes from one bike to the rack and the other to the other bike, the rational being that it would be very difficult to remove them from the rack and, a thief would still be unable to wheel them away even if the cut the cables.
Our bikes have something similar to that built in not sure how good they are

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have a cable lock secured to rack. Haven't got round to changing quick release yet on new bike

Pinhead locks best for seat snd wheels. or at least change to allen key fitting amd remove quick release

I also use pinheads, but if you do decide to use Allen key fittings then I suggest that once you have set up the saddle drop some solder into the Allen key heads.
This is another deterrent, but can be removed (given time) if you need to at a later date. The same applies to nuts once fitted tape plastic around the hex edge and fill with solder, but not on parts like wheels eg punctures, pinheads are best for this.

Mike

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Have a cable lock secured to rack. Haven't got round to changing quick release yet on new bike

Pinhead locks best for seat snd wheels. or at least change to allen key fitting amd remove quick release
I can see the value of pinheads if on a rack on the back of a van, but I have only ever had my saddle nicked once in thirty odd years whilst "out and about", so just leave the allen key fitting and QR for the wheels, certainly wouldn't be soldering anywhere near any of my bikes. Always park the bikes up in a prominent and highly visible spot.

Just wondering if, in posting this just before we depart for 3 weeks in Denmark and Germay, I may have upset the karma police, expect a post asking for more info on the pinheads on my return!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back