Help please! My Dometic Fridge is keeping me awake! (2 Viewers)

MrsM

Free Member
Sep 8, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Not so new at motorhoming now, but still learning!
Hi ever so helpful Funsters.

My husband and I are deep in the Auvergne region of France and after a long day driving through the rain, we set up camp a couple of hours ago in our 11 month old Burstner Ixeo.

However when we connected to the campsite electric the Dometic RMDT 8501, 8505, 8551, 8555 (daren't open the door again to check) a bleeping started lasting for 15 seconds then stopping. It started again after 2 minutes and the blue light on the outside was flashing too. Everything else appeared to be normal. The instruction books states this to be indicating a fault with the light inside and to check the door catch etc. However we checked this thoroughly and the light seems to be working perfectly.

We have switched the fridge off a couple of times, waited a few mins then popped it back on. Still got the bleeping!

We would really appreciate any help you can give as we are either going to get no sleep, or we will need to switch the fridge off and risk being stinked out by the mountain of French cheese we bought, including a rather smelly Reblochon!

Thanks in advance!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Check the door seal hasn't come out at the bottom of the door.
Is it set to AES or have you selected 230 volts?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
To eliminate the ehu on the site which maybe a reverse polarity, have you tried it back on 12v or gas ,and if so does it still bleep ?? :think:

Could be a warm beer alert :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MrsM

MrsM

Free Member
Sep 8, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Check the door seal hasn't come out at the bottom of the door.
Is it set to AES or have you selected 230 volts?

Thanks but the door seal appears ok. Tried it on Auto, mains and battery, but still bleeping! Had it in gas this afternoon at our lunch stop, but no bleeping then.

Confused.com!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Beeping usually means the door is open or the power source has failed.
Battery only works with engine running. If it works ok on gas I would suggest the voltage is too low or a dead circuit.

OP
OP
MrsM

MrsM

Free Member
Sep 8, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
To eliminate the ehu on the site which maybe a reverse polarity, have you tried it back on 12v or gas ,and if so does it still bleep ?? :think:

Could be a warm beer alert :)

Thanks. We have a polarity checker and all is fine on that front. As mentioned above have checked all other power sources.

Yes my husband agrees in the alert and has had a warm bottle of Spitfire followed by a local ish Merlot to go with the Reblochon before it stinks the van out!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We had the same problem
It's caused by condensation on the interior light
Start by removing the interior LED light ( it's got a plug fitting)
Next check that the door lock mounting on the interior of the fridge is square to the door
Ours was slightly mis aligned, which kept the door slightly open
This caused condensation to form on the LED light
Hope this helps !

OP
OP
MrsM

MrsM

Free Member
Sep 8, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We had the same problem
Next check that the door lock mounting on the interior of the fridge is square to the door
Hope this helps !
Thanks Robert. Reckon you might be right as the bleeping stopped a few mins ago after being on a while. We also saw some condensation on the outside of the freezer door after we parked up.

You are a star! Moral of the story is probably not to panic about the slowly warming French cheese and stop opening the door too much!

motorhome42

Free Member
Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

I think this is the same problem we had last year. If you have an instruction booklet it gives the cause of this bleeping as being a faulty sensor. The fridge / freezer will still work but only at a constant temperature which can't be regulated. I don't think the cost of a replacement thermostat is huge (ours was done under warranty) but if it's relevant all Dometic appliances have a three year warranty. I seem to recall that there is a way to stop the bleeping but I can't remember how - sorry!! Have you tried contacting Dometic and asking for their advice??

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
While you are on mains, switch the frame heater on.
I think the frame heater only helps if the freezer door has frozen itself shut, preventing the door from opening

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Page 18
All models are equipped with a frame heating (12VDC/3,5W) around the freezer compart- ment. During summer months with high tempe- ratures and humidity the metal frame may have water droplets forming. To evaporate these droplets switch on the frame heating with switch (3) . The LED (5) indicates that the hea- ting is on.

The frame heating is in operation with a preset- ting of 2 hours and switched off afterwards automatically. The frame heating can be deacti- vated every time by pressing the button (3) .

Engineer told me that on later versions it stays on until you turn it off but I'm not so sure

RMD 8501 RMD8505 RMD 8551 RMD8555

http://www.rvworldstore.co.nz/media/wysiwyg/Manuals/RMD8555_Operating_manual.pdf

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Page 18
All models are equipped with a frame heating (12VDC/3,5W) around the freezer compart- ment. During summer months with high tempe- ratures and humidity the metal frame may have water droplets forming. To evaporate these droplets switch on the frame heating with switch (3) . The LED (5) indicates that the hea- ting is on.

The frame heating is in operation with a preset- ting of 2 hours and switched off afterwards automatically. The frame heating can be deacti- vated every time by pressing the button (3) .

Engineer told me that on later versions it stays on until you turn it off but I'm not so sure
On ours, (which is brand new) it has a choice of settings, from a couple of hours to 24/7
Though I'm surprised that it only works on EHU, what are you meant to do if you've no hook up?
Though from what you wrote its not necessarily saying it needs to be switched on 24/7, only when condensation appears?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
On ours, (which is brand new) it has a choice of settings, from a couple of hours to 24/7
Though I'm surprised that it only works on EHU, what are you meant to do if you've no hook up?
Though from what you wrote its not necessarily saying it needs to be switched on 24/7, only when condensation appears?
Yes
When I have tried mine off hook up the amber light doesn't stay on. However I've suffered two years of trouble with it so far.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Engineer at Malvern show had to resort to fitting a 7000 series controller to mine to get the tw@t working on gas.
It seems the front control panel goes faulty after the first 36 hrs or more on gas, probably condensation
image.jpg

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
We had the same problem
Hope this helps !

Exactly the same as @Robert Clark.

Condensation builds up on the inside of the clear plastic cover which is clipped over the light unit.

It's happened to us twice. Now I haven't bothered to put the cover back on.

Stef.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had the same problem on our 8505 fridge, it is probably the door open warning switch, took the swich housing apart re-bent the metal strip that operates the microswitch.
For a tempory fix you can just unplug the cable loom at the back of the switch housing, you will loose the fridge light as well as fed from the same loom.

OP
OP
MrsM

MrsM

Free Member
Sep 8, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks everyone for all your help. We've added it to the growing list for when it next goes back to the dealers.

Well at least it gave us a good reason to scoff all the French cheese!

Aug 19, 2015
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elldis Autoquest
Exp
I'm on my 4th control panel in two years .asked for new frige
No luck so far finger s crossed. Ken

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun