Jul 26, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2015
Hi
as we are new to motor homing, and are looking to go to France around the 15/16 Sept, we will need WIFI. Have looked at a couple of types and the one that seems to suit us is 4G Huawei E5372 MIFI & Window mount Antenna which we picked up a leaflet on at the Peterborough show Motorhome WIFI.
It seems simple to use and more importantly understand? Does anyone out there have a feedback on this good or bad, or any recommendations for something that is a reasonable price and easy to use.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
See just a couple of my positive comments Broken Link Removedand Broken Link Removed.

See also Broken Link Removed for an alternative mounting idea. I've since discovered that the stand from Poundworld is even better than the one from Poundland :)

OP
OP
C

crunch

Free Member
Jul 26, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2015
Thank you, it's a minefield out there!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
These folk are Funsters on here and have a good reputation for after sales service. http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/

I have a much cheaper Huawei mifi bought from them a couple of years ago which I use with an external antenna. I find it works fine but the equipment seems to have changed over the last couple of years and these new generation of mifis are considerably more expensive but I suspect it is a case of getting what you pay for and they are probably a low easier to use than the older models.

But for France there is no question about which SIM card for data, go for 3. The provider that is, you don't need 3 sim cards. :)

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
Just to add, slightly off topic, anyone using 3 needs to call them and enable roaming, its off by default and you can't even enable it through the web you have to call. I have had this on 2 devices and my friend has just gone to spain and has suffered the same problem. You would think with how much they push the overseas usage they would ensure they are shipped with roaming enabled or at least let you enable it through the app or web account, but no you have to call!

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Just to add, slightly off topic, anyone using 3 needs to call them and enable roaming, its off by default and you can't even enable it through the web you have to call. I have had this on 2 devices and my friend has just gone to spain and has suffered the same problem. You would think with how much they push the overseas usage they would ensure they are shipped with roaming enabled or at least let you enable it through the app or web account, but no you have to call!

Are these 'phone SIMs or mobile internet SIMs? I have not needed to do that with the mobile internet SIMs I have bought.

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
With both, I Had it with my phone and mobile internet sim, My friends Daughter though went out to spain a few weeks ago and hers worked fine, which is why my friend ignored my advice and didn't bother calling 3 to check. So possible hit and miss I am not sure.

Its easy enough to check you can log into your account and it will tell you if its enabled or not, you can't enable it but you can check.

Just worth checking for the sake of a minute, because trust me once you get abroad and find out its not it took me nearly half a day and endless phone calls and messing to get it to work. Then takes 4 hours to enable.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I didn't have to call
Never heard this before
Have used three in France, Norway, Denmark, Sweden without issues

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
Just our of interest are you on Pay as you go or contract? These 3 examples are all contract, relatively new ones also. With the mobile internet one being a 30 day rolling contract, possibly its contract ones ?

I don't know..... like i said just worth checking before you travel for anyone that gets a new one.

Deleted User
Don't need to do that with PAYG data sims, contract different.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I wonder if it's an old contract where international roaming was turned off by default ?

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
I wonder if it's an old contract where international roaming was turned off by default ?

No they were all new, I switched to 3 about 3 months ago, My friend switched about 6 weeks ago, the rolling contract again about 2 months ago.

Like I said his daughter was fine, and I think she is PAYG , so maybe thats it.

I was so frustrated because I had gone to 3 to save money while away and it cost us a fortune me using the wife phone for ages while away to get it enabled!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
No they were all new, I switched to 3 about 3 months ago, My friend switched about 6 weeks ago, the rolling contract again about 2 months ago.

Like I said his daughter was fine, and I think she is PAYG , so maybe thats it.

I was so frustrated because I had gone to 3 to save money while away and it cost us a fortune me using the wife phone for ages while away to get it enabled!
Spooooooky !

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Just our of interest are you on Pay as you go or contract? These 3 examples are all contract, relatively new ones also. With the mobile internet one being a 30 day rolling contract, possibly its contract ones ?

I don't know..... like i said just worth checking before you travel for anyone that gets a new one.

Yes, I can understand having to enable roaming with contract (and monthly rolling contract) SIMs because some of the charging is retrospective, ie charges outide of the allowance. With PAYG when you reach the allowance it is cut off until you top-up.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My WiFi is with 3.. I can enable or disable European use on my PAYG SIM used with a Heuwie device.

I keep looking at the more up to date more powerful devices but I just can't work out if they are better or not. I'm hopeless with these things .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
4g will only be an improvement in built up areas that have been upgraded. lucky to see 3g in rural locations

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4g will only be an improvement in built up areas that have been upgraded. lucky to see 3g in rural locations

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
With Three we have never had less than 3G wherever we have gone and often get 4G these days, especially with the aerial and sometimes in surprising areas.

I've never verified it but it appears that they may have implemented 4G in some villages, as well as towns, where there are significant residential numbers and in places where there are rural industries.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
With Three we have never had less than 3G wherever we have gone and often get 4G these days, especially with the aerial and sometimes in surprising areas.

I've never verified it but it appears that they may have implemented 4G in some villages, as well as towns, where there are significant residential numbers and in places where there are rural industries.
I agree, we are now getting 4G about 5 miles out of Banbury, earlier in year we had sketchy 3G

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the 4g situation must of improved over the last few months then. been tied up a hell of a lot this year with family deaths and hospital visits. the infrequent trips out, I have either got good 3g cover or site wifi. will test my 4g mifi again soon

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the 4g situation must of improved over the last few months then. been tied up a hell of a lot this year with family deaths and hospital visits. the infrequent trips out, I have either got good 3g cover or site wifi. will test my 4g mifi again soon

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's improving all the time as the infrastructure is upgraded.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i took out a monthly rolling contract just before i went to france in june and had no problems using it straight away

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Maybe I'm a dinosaur but we simply take the laptop and use wi-fi at tourist offices, bars and anywhere else we can find it. There is never any charge and it works fine so not sure what all the fuss is about!?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
so not sure what all the fuss is about!?

No fuss at all if, like your good self, people are not heavy users...

But, if you are like me and are online all the time for... radio, MOTD, newspapers, videos, Skype calls, Viber calls, Skype calls, online banking, maps, website "surfing", forum following, blog writing, music listening and much, much more... then a fast, affordable internet connection is vital! :rofl:

JJ :cool:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We had to enable int' roaming on my daughters phone. Yet this was already enabled on my sons phone. They are on the same monthly contact taken out at the same time. :confused:

Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
I am interested in getting one of these for emails etc on the move but am put off as any data packages you buy have a finite date they run out on unlike PAYG mobiles where it lasts for ever (ages). Does anyone know of a dongle that you can load with say £20 and use it until it runs out please?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am interested in getting one of these for emails etc on the move but am put off as any data packages you buy have a finite date they run out on unlike PAYG mobiles where it lasts for ever (ages). Does anyone know of a dongle that you can load with say £20 and use it until it runs out please?

this thread may help (y)

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/3-data-sim-offer.123787/page-2#post-1724907

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back