Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Wanted a Win 95 install disk. Yes I know it is old but I have a vinyl plotter the software for which will only run on win 95 and the computer it came on refuses to boot. I have the sign software (for win 95 only) on disks (hopefully). Need to try an install on another machine to make sure it will indeed install.
Anyone still have one in the drawer?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
If you are not able to obtain a disk then Windows 95 is still available as an ISO file online to enable you to burn your own.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Have got this disc, but no product key, if its any good pm your address and I will post.
IMG_20150823_140255724.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
thanks everyone it seems I was misinformed, The computer has started to boot into windows ME, not 95 then hangs, I do have a windows me disk I think but unable to enter the bios to instruct it to load from CD rather than hard drive. I need to run a repair if possible rather than a new install as I need to preserve the settings for the Summacut D620 plotter and the sign maker software

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
thanks everyone it seems I was misinformed, The computer has started to boot into windows ME, not 95 then hangs, I do have a windows me disk I think but unable to enter the bios to instruct it to load from CD rather than hard drive. I need to run a repair if possible rather than a new install as I need to preserve the settings for the Summacut D620 plotter and the sign maker software
Old advice for getting into the BIOS was to repeatedly press the appropriate function key as soon as the system unit was switched on, so as to be able to get in before the OS starts. If you don't know which function key to use then try Googling the machine name.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well making some progress, left running it eventually says there is a registry problem and to run regscan, however command prompt is not one of the options to continue, they are I think
1 normal
2 safe mode
3 step at a time etc
I finally got into the bios and it should read a cd as 1st boot drive but ignores the ME disc I tried to boot with. As it is set up in the loft I am running up and down the damn stairs

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
well making some progress, left running it eventually says there is a registry problem and to run regscan, however command prompt is not one of the options to continue, they are I think
1 normal
2 safe mode
3 step at a time etc
I finally got into the bios and it should read a cd as 1st boot drive but ignores the ME disc I tried to boot with. As it is set up in the loft I am running up and down the damn stairs

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode?
If you can get into there you could try running "Last Known Good Configuration" or a System Restore (assuming you had that set-up) to take you back to a good configuration.

If not, this article MAY help?
http://www.russharvey.bc.ca/resources/legacyrecovery.html
or here
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
update, I have no idea what is on the harddrive or if system restore was setup. It is a new to me computer.
It now reports the windows loader file is missing or corrupt. I tried opening a command window to run chkdsk but no commands work without the windows loader just a c: prompt. Presumably there is no way to get to msdos. Safe mode encounters the same problem. I have no idea if there is a modem in it I think not so no way to port in.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
update, I have no idea what is on the harddrive or if system restore was setup. It is a new to me computer.
It now reports the windows loader file is missing or corrupt. I tried opening a command window to run chkdsk but no commands work without the windows loader just a c: prompt. Presumably there is no way to get to msdos. Safe mode encounters the same problem. I have no idea if there is a modem in it I think not so no way to port in.

Does the machine have a floppy disc drive? If so, you could try downloading a Windows Me boot disc and copying that to the floppy disc.
Might give you access to Command Prompt.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
CHUCK IT IN THE BIN ALONG WITH THE EMPTY FRAY BENTOS PIE TINS. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you have the plotter software, I would install xp and run the programme in compatibility mode

otherwise, as suggested use a boot disk and repair/reinstall ME from there

if win.com is corrupt you could try to replace it from DOS but no guarantees it will work

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
there is the plotter software driver disc(ME) though I believe XP drivers are available. Then there is the signlab software on 6 floppies, signlab want £300 to upgrade to XP so I'll have to source an ME system disk that includes scanreg and chkdsk. I don't think I can do that from my XP or win 7 computers as the dos utilities will be different. Ah well more messing about before I can start producing new signage.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
just checked online and there is a pirated version for win7 you could use

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have full original versions of xp, win7 and probably most of the earlier ones but now find for some reason I cannot format a floppy disk let alone make a system disk. It is beginning to look like an end of the pier jobbie

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
when i said for win7, i meant the signlab software

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
aha many thanks trouble is they need a dongle and it is different for each version plus the desktop that has all of the required ports is only xp. can you pm me a link please be good to try at least

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
this sounds like a corrupt ntldr file and you may well need the admin password if you want to copy a good one across using the cd to boot into the recovery console.long time since I had to do it but you can create a boot floppy by formatting a floppy and using known good files 0f boot.ini ntldr.com sys.ini etc .
To make it easy there was a boot disk site I used to use for making various dos boot disks,try this site:
http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/me.html

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
just noticed that you cant format a floppy disk,have you got the write protection tab on? any problems and I,ll pop one in the post for you.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well making some progress, got the bootdisk and can now access the CD and harddrive, tried a repair but is appears the Fat is corrupt, run scandisk and it says cannot continue, fix the fat, funny I thought that was one of the functions of scandisk. So try chkdsk, that just says run scandisk. looking like a reformat but one more recovery prog (testdisk) to try first.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
not trying to teach you to suck eggs but have you tried chkdsk /r from a command prompt will run chkdsk on a reboot and do a repair.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back