Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducatto
Exp
Very little
We want a portable type DVD player with screen for our motorhome. We don't want a TV as part of owning a motorhome for us is the fact that it forces us to do something different and not be a slave to the box in the corner! However, we thought it would be nice to have the facility to watch DVDs from time to time. Can anyone recommend please?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
More flexible and useful in a MH is a laptop. Keep up with FUN and watch your disks. Of course even better is to transfer your DVDs to the laptop hard drive and save all that space and weight.

You could also to this with a tablet that can take either a USB DVD drive or a USB hard drive.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
nurse, nurse, Brian sounds normal, there must be something terribly wrong with him.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
More flexible and useful in a MH is a laptop.

You could also to this with a tablet that can take either a USB DVD drive or a USB hard drive.

Not sure I agree with this. A laptop is OK if there is just one of you wanting to watch but given the narrow angle of viewing then two of you would have to sit ear to ear to see more than a purple blur. A pair of external speakers is also necessary if you're not to listen to films that sound like they were made in a tin can.

There are lots of cheapish TVs that have DVD players built in. It's a good thing to have an earphone socket as well in case only one of you wants to watch without disturbing the other.

We don' t watch TV at home but record all the major series and take them with us when we are away in winter.

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I agree if you want to watch and enjoy a film it has to be on a decent sized screen.
If you enjoy a good movie and that's all you want,a tv dvd is what you need.If you've not got an aerial or dish you won't get tv anyway !

Vlad

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not sure I agree with this. A laptop is OK if there is just one of you wanting to watch but given the narrow angle of viewing then two of you would have to sit ear to ear to see more than a purple blur. A pair of external speakers is also necessary if you're not to listen to films that sound like they were made in a tin can.

There are lots of cheapish TVs that have DVD players built in. It's a good thing to have an earphone socket as well in case only one of you wants to watch without disturbing the other.

We don' t watch TV at home but record all the major series and take them with us when we are away in winter.
Again not entirely true. A TV with decent viewing angles and a decent display will cost the same as a laptop with an even better screen. My laptop is around 5 years old, has an HD display, runs W10, and has 90+ degree horizontal & vertical viewing angles. Cost me £200 about 3 years ago.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK, our solution for the DVD issue (mainly for my daughter). We have a Cello LED TV, which retracts into it's little compartment. These have a USB input, and will play movies from a USB hard drive. I have 'ripped' about 200 DVD's onto the USB HDD, meaning that I don't have to lug 200 Peppa Pig DVD's around with us on holiday, that and bleeding chick flicks for the wife! :D
The only downside is it is quite time consuming to rip a DVD, 3 hours per disk! But once they are done that is it.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
. I have 'ripped' about 200 DVD's onto the USB HDD, :D

Daniel: What software do you use to do this please ? We have no problems transferring the dozens of DVDs of programmes we've recorded from the TV but can't transfer commercial DVDs to the hard drive.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Daniel: What software do you use to do this please ? We have no problems transferring the dozens of DVDs of programmes we've recorded from the TV but can't transfer commercial DVDs to the hard drive.
I use two mainly, the easiest to use is makeMKV, which as the name suggests creates an MKV video container, this will play on a few devices, with add on software. It is available at makemkv.com
A more useful piece of software is VideoLAN's VLC media player, there is a menu option to save and convert DVD's, if you google videoLAN, you should find their site, it is a .org site. Just read the small print, it tries to install search assistants as you go through, make sure you hit decline when offered. This gives you the option to create an MP4, which every device will play out of the box.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back