Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Say you left something in an Aire! Something like a fitted shower mat,good levellers,exterior window blinds or anything to do with camping cars.
What would you do, keep it or leave it?
I left a good fitted shower mat in the last Aire and travelled around 80 kilometres,didn't want to go back because it's probably not there.
We're in France.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Probably still there, but another 80km to confirm it wouldn't be my first choice. I left my wallet in a toilet in an aire. Went for a walk, had lunch, had another walk, went to the toilet, and saw my wallet still there. Mind you, there were no British vans on the aire....."

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I left sunglasses on a bench, had a long walk, I thought I'd lost them, still sitting there when we returned 2 hrs later. That was in Normandy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
there were no British vans on the aire....."

I rented a motorcycle in Turkey and asked for a bike lock.

"Don't bother" he said, "if you'd seen the inside of a Turkish prison you wouldn't steal anything, the only people who steal things are you Brits nicking from one anothers hotel rooms."

Deleted User
Left the wife's flip flops on the electric step at Lac D'Estaing (well she did but it was obviously my fault for not seeing them when I closed the door)

Probably been eaten by a cow by the time we realised.

Also left £1500 quids worth of camera on a rock during a walk in the Pyrenees, went back and there it was (phew)

Didn't go back for the flip flops though :whistle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A couple of times left one of those green plastic door mats behind, always carry a spare now. A few tap connectors always carry half a dozen of them.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Left the keys for my 2 week old BMW motorbike on the seat along with my helmet 3 weeks ago at Malcasine Lake Garda.
2 hours later sat at a bar having a drink suddenly realised what I'd done. Rushed back expecting the worse imagine my relief to see it still there. You could see the keys and the coloured fob from 50yds away.
What a relief imagine explaining that one to the insurance company.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
my normal one is to not lock my expensive e bike up properly (lock D lock to frame but not to post:coffee:)

@Forestboy where did you stay at Malsesnie

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Dropped my cardigan in my local towns Aire ( when I lived in France) Realised when I got home, drove back and a nice French lady said I'd driven off by the time she saw it on the ground, so she picked it up and put it on the wall near her van. On the whole, French people don't seem to pick up stuff, expecting the owner to return.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We weren't staying in Malcasine but a small town 12 miles away in the hills above the lake called Mori.
We were on Jaws motorbike rally a couple of weeks back.

[QUOTE="Judgemental, post: 1524664,

@Forestboy where did you stay at Malsesnie[/QUOTE]

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Don't talk to me about tap connectors! I must have donated so many to different sites.:cry:

Also:

A few weeks ago, near Boulogne, I helped show a dutchman who was new to motorhoming how to use the bourne. Mid afternoon Jean and I were really tired (not gassed!) and both had a sleep. On waking I noticed something on windscreen and found it to be a note. It read as follows

Broken Link Removed

Puzzled, I started wondering what it meant, what pass might they be referring to? Anyway I thought the dutchman had driven off.
I checked my wallet and to my horror my debit card was missing! It was VERY windy so I searched around the van after confirming the
at the dutch van had left. I was distraught and wondering how to go about cancelling the card and all that would be entailed, especially being abroad.
In desperation I took another walk around the aire and spotted another dutch registered motohome. I knocked, showed the note and asked if he knew anything about it. "Yes" said he handing me my card, "you must have left it in the paymeter at the bourne"
To say I was relieved was an understatement.

Who thinks aires are automatically considered unsafe?

Wyn

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
we had a Taxi from Malaga Airport to a Holiday complex in Fungerola got the case's out of the boot paid the man and walked to the office halfway there I realised my backpack with Passport's cash etc in it was still in the Taxi boot, with me chasing the cab down the site luckily a gardener stopped the cab and I was able to get the backpack I wont put into print what Lynn called me.

We had a guided tour in Australia the first week there we stopped in Cairns at a time share type apartment block with travelling around I was using a body type cash belt, which was working out fine until I suddenly remembered when sat on the coach waiting to travel further on, when I dashed off the coach to retrieve the cash belt from under my pillow, I don't think I am safe to be let out on my own.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

I rented a motorcycle in Turkey and asked for a bike lock.

"Don't bother" he said, "if you'd seen the inside of a Turkish prison you wouldn't steal anything, the only people who steal things are you Brits nicking from one anothers hotel rooms."

and your point is?:D

Not every Motorhome owner is an honest Funster.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not sure about an aire but the campsite we have been on for the last two weeks had several tap connectors and hoses (belonging to the site owner) taken ...... the thefts started on a day a certain foreign family arrived and ceased when they left. Not proof but suspicious ;)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
While we were cycling into Vienna from a campsite I put my backpack down on the ground while I took off my fleece. I didn' t pick it up and didn' t miss it until we were almost in Vienna. It had passport, money, phone, keys, camera etc in it.

My OH ( a fitter cyclist than me...) raced back to where we' d stopped to find a lovely Austrian lady standing guard over the bag. She was not going to give it to him but, when I finally arrived and could have her compare me with my passport photo ( using her imagination as its a horrible photo) she let me have the bag. She was quite relieved too as, she explained, she would have had to get the bus to the police station if we' d not turned up.

If anyone finds the doormat we left at a FP site or the bucket at Bordeaux aire, they are welcome to them !

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Not exactly left behind but I thought I left an aire light. That someone had walked off with what was mine. It was on a stellplaz on the romantic road. There was an Italian and German trying to come to terms with sharing an EHU that had just been made available.

In the spirit I offered them my splitter, saying I was into town early next morning and if I was still out when they left they could put the splitter "here "patting the top of the spare wheel mounted on the back in the language that I like to think passes for "European".

Back in the evening, no splitter. For 6mths I blanked every German or Italian I met and wished them ill. Then I took the cover off the spare to check pressure and found that it had been taken off before and the splitter tucked in.

Dick

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We left our step on an Aire in the middle of France. Realised 200 miles later when we stopped for the night. Had to use an upturned plastic storage box for the rest of the trip and Shirley fell off it twice. Glad we've got an electric step on our latest motorhome. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Say you left something in an Aire! Something like a fitted shower mat,good levellers,exterior window blinds or anything to do with camping cars.
What would you do, keep it or leave it?
I left a good fitted shower mat in the last Aire and travelled around 80 kilometres,didn't want to go back because it's probably not there.
We're in France.
Having just watched Calander Girls on the box tonight my mind is wondering just how you managed to leave a shower mat at an aire. Are there such things as naturist aires where showering in the open is encouraged? :)

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Off subject a bit but...............Once in Portugal we left a famous site (Pedro's) and 100yards down the road we realised we didn't have the dog (Caley).When we got back there she was with Mrs Pedro (sorry can't remember her name) and had got out of the van when we had said our goodbyes.Scary moment as site is near a motorway.............

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I lost my virginity once :whistle:,
I heard it was more then once.............:sneaky:

If I found a wad of cash on the deck, with no one around, then it would be MINE.........Because if I left it there. it would be just shunning Gods infinite grace. :)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
794175.jpg

We've left a few steps like this but of various colours in a few aires - if you find one, it's mine (y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We left our step on an Aire in the middle of France. Realised 200 miles later when we stopped for the night. Had to use an upturned plastic storage box for the rest of the trip and Shirley fell off it twice. Glad we've got an electric step on our latest motorhome. :)

Spooky, Snap, Exactly!!!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If I found a wad of cash on the deck, with no one around, then it would be MINE.........Because if I left it there. it would be just shunning Gods infinite grace. :)

I found a phone and an expensive camera on the train from st erth to st Ives on top of luggage rack and obviously fallen out of a bag, I was on a day trip with some family but wanted to get these things back to the owners. I managed to get into the phone and dialled the most frequent number and got to someone up country who was a freind that knew they were on holiday... They called another in the party and got them to call me and we arranged to meet them in a coffe house the other side of st Ives..... Now I spent most of the morning doing this and went out of the way to the other side of st Ives and when I handed over the stuff they just said thanks mate.... And walked away...! That was it, just two words....

Now I didn't expect a reward but some sort of conversation would have been nice..:doh: Maybe even get the little child in our party an ice cream or let me get you a coffee..:yawn2: Ohh it's hard work being honest...:cooler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back